Notices

samco turbo hoses

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2005, 08:37 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default samco turbo hoses

are these worth the time and effort gents, i know there's a few variations out there and was wondering whats the best type (if there is such a thing) and wether its worth while doing?
Old 28 October 2005, 06:03 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
are these worth the time and effort gents, i know there's a few variations out there and was wondering whats the best type (if there is such a thing) and wether its worth while doing?
depends on car really the sti turbo hose is as good if not better than any aftermarket ones.
Old 28 October 2005, 07:32 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

i got an my99 uk car, am planning on a few mods and was wondering if this one was worth while
Old 29 October 2005, 11:11 AM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

the standard turbo hose on yours is not as good an sti one. the sti one is alluminium cast y piece and red turbo hose. If I were u I'd look out for a s/hand sti v5/v6 one or P1 one. failing that then the samco replacement one is better than what u have.
ken
Old 29 October 2005, 11:13 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

ok cool, thanks for that, what about the turbo inlet pipe as well?
Old 29 October 2005, 04:18 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
ok cool, thanks for that, what about the turbo inlet pipe as well?
not so sure on these. it involves removing the inlet manifold to change them and not sure there are any benefits to be gained. what sort of power are u aiming for?
ken
Old 29 October 2005, 04:45 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-k
not so sure on these. it involves removing the inlet manifold to change them and not sure there are any benefits to be gained. what sort of power are u aiming for?
ken

just what RCM said to me, if I move to a bigger turbo I will swap the turbo inlet but not before

I think Samcos are more of a look thing but

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...Photo37_34.jpg

im happy with them
Old 30 October 2005, 05:37 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

i will be looking for approx 370-400 when all is said and done. i'm just thinking of sorting the ancils first before i start on the major components, turbo, exhaust, fmic etc.
i wanted to do the littler bits first i.e fuel pump, oil pump, fpr, wheels and suspension etc

Last edited by scoobysmiff; 30 October 2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 31 October 2005, 09:49 AM
Baggers
Scooby Regular

I had my 99 turbo remapped recently, boost set to 1.2 bar but the turbo was having trouble delivering that pressure. I changed the turbo hose set to samcos and she now makes and holds the required 1.2, nice hoses, very flexible and seal very well.
Old 31 October 2005, 10:19 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

i think i might as well do it when i change the turbo, just to make sure it will work as good as it should, cheers guys
Old 31 October 2005, 07:35 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I have fitted two AVO turbo inlet hoses to new age STI's and one in my MY03 PPP'd WRX (the AVO is much better than Samcos and other brands and you don't have to remove the manifold IF you brake the closest nipple from your factory turbo inlet hose to the turbo).
Both STIs have remarkable gains especially in turbo response/driveability/torque while mine has slightly difference in throttle response mainly rather in max power/torque.
If you own a new age STI with remap then yes it worth the money-effort otherwise you can use your money elsewhere, bear in mind if you upgrade your turbo in the future to a bigger one you may experience boost stabilization problems as the uprated turbo inlet flows much more than the standard plastic item.
JIM
Old 31 October 2005, 07:40 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

99 classic, wish I never bought them, waste of money imho that I could have spent elsewhere
Old 31 October 2005, 07:51 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

They worked well for me.

F
Old 31 October 2005, 08:09 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, dilemma now? fit or not to fit, thats the question?
Old 31 October 2005, 10:28 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The after market inlet hose advantages are different according to application (assuming that the aftermarket one is bigger and less restrictive).

I have tested the difference on a JDM with standard turbo and the results were both positive and negative.... but on the whole was not worth the cost imho at the modification level tested (BUT - and this is a BIG but - this does depend on application and mod level, so will be tested again in the future). On the newage cars, the STi inlet pipe was a fair bit smaller than the aftermarket one I tested.

As a pointer..... just think about the relevance of inlet gas speed for the turbo and the effects of using a bigger less restrictive inlet pipe.

Removal of manifold is not required..... there is a knack on how to do this.

A full explanation of what this all meant will be in the Engine Stage 1 article in the ScoobyNet Article Forum very soon.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 01 November 2005, 07:56 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
The after market inlet hose advantages are different according to application (assuming that the aftermarket one is bigger and less restrictive).

I have tested the difference on a JDM with standard turbo and the results were both positive and negative.... but on the whole was not worth the cost imho at the modification level tested (BUT - and this is a BIG but - this does depend on application and mod level, so will be tested again in the future). On the newage cars, the STi inlet pipe was a fair bit smaller than the aftermarket one I tested.

As a pointer..... just think about the relevance of inlet gas speed for the turbo and the effects of using a bigger less restrictive inlet pipe.

Removal of manifold is not required..... there is a knack on how to do this.

A full explanation of what this all meant will be in the Engine Stage 1 article in the ScoobyNet Article Forum very soon.

Regards,
Shaun.
this was my chain of thought, and so that interest on getting some opinions of those who have changed theirs?
would i be correct in saying that most, if not all the big BHP cars have got an aftermarket one fitted?
Old 01 November 2005, 10:52 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Lower Gas Speed = Slower response

It's the old lowdown driveability Vs highend gains (in the example I have given, that was tested)

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 01 November 2005, 11:14 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

well i guess it will worth doing for what i have in mind, i will be looking for about 350-400bhp out of my MY99, it don't have to be a daily driver either so not bothered how much low down it looses TBH, just want a big slug of power putting a smile on my face every time
Old 01 November 2005, 11:17 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Shaun with the AVO hose both STI's one with TSL 333 package and the other with PPP have lower spool up point, much better response and torque overall:

This is the car with PPP before and after AVO turbo inlet hose.
On the other hand this hose is very smooth, not so big compared with the factory one and direct from MAF to turbo replacing two factory plastic parts!
JIM
Old 01 November 2005, 11:18 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

By the way I have no connection with AVO nor sell any product in case someone believes the opposite, just post my experience!
JIM
Old 01 November 2005, 04:03 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Jim,

Good info.... I have no idea about changing both pipes in to a single, but we definately didnt see gains lowdown by changing just the turbo inlet.

Probably worth looking at a complete replacement pipe test in the future though..... as I don't read too much in to a companies published results unless I have tested it myself.

Again... nice bit of info though.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 01 November 2005, 04:40 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

so just to confirm, this mod has made another 9bhp and 26Nm on the rollers or have i read the graph wrong?
Old 01 November 2005, 07:31 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

9bhp?
I doubt you'd really notice that and think to yourself, "wow! that was money well spent".
you could probably get that sort of improvement in the PtW ration by having a big **** before you go out in the car*

*I exaggerate to prove a point.
Old 01 November 2005, 09:52 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

With a standard or even remaped STI you put your foot to the floor and wait some time until it starts build boost, now with the hose it reacts INSTANTLY and this along with the remarkable torque increase is more important at least for my need/liking!
May be for some people these aren't huge gains (are you sure 26Nm aren't enough for such mod?), we have obviously different criteria!
And is AFAIK the only turbo hose with 5 plies silicon + internal spiral wire to avoid suction at very high boost levels that replaces the whole plastic part from MAF to turbo, not cheap but if you buy the two Samco parts that correspond with the AVO then the cost is same!
JIM
Old 02 November 2005, 09:57 AM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

imo it will be worth doing,all engines are dependant on getting air/fuel in and out again as fast as possible, and it's more than just an exhaust and air filter.
on a high performance engine this will more critical in order to get the best gains. i guess the WRC cars that boost to 3bar (lots of air in) have awesome driveability as well as massive speed for just "300bhp"