Notices

Car Wont Start - Possible Fuel Pump Problem?? Help Please :)

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2005, 08:05 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Wont Start - Possible Fuel Pump Problem?? Help Please :)

Need some help please guys.

My Jap STI wont start, it turns over but wont kick in, there's no smell of fuel from the engine which leads me to believe its the fuel pump.

Its got a toad immobiliser but i'm pretty sure it isnt that.

The car has stalled on pull off twice last week but kicked straight in after so thought nothing of it at the time, came to it Wed morning and wouldnt kick in.

I've removed the 3 hoses as shown on the pic and tried starting it and there was no fuel coming out at all (apart from a little trickle when 1st removing the hoses).

I've not yet tried any fuses as i'm waiting on a tester of a mate.

Any ideas as to the problem would be appreciated, also any indication as to where the actual fuel pump is located (i know f**k all about cars)

Cheers

Old 21 July 2005, 08:37 PM
joe.
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, not sure if this will be of any help, but i had the same problem recently and it turned out it was a poor connection in the wiring to the pump relay. If you turn the key to start the car and don't hear the fuel pump this may be your problem. Good luck!
Old 21 July 2005, 10:22 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

The fuel pump is in the tank,Acessed from in the boot on the offside there is a plate remove this (4 screws) for access to the tank.Its often easier to remove the rear seat. Check that you have power at the connections on top of the tank either when you first turn the ignition on,this is the prime signal for the pump,The power should then disapear and return when the engine is cranked.If you have power hear its likley to be the pump.If you dont it could be the relay or fuse Or there is a connection under the rear seat that has a tendancy to cause problems.
Old 21 July 2005, 10:40 PM
cossie01
Scooby Regular

Silly question, but are you 100% certain that it hasn't simply run out of fuel ?

It has been known for the gauges to go **** up
Old 21 July 2005, 11:44 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cossie01
Silly question, but are you 100% certain that it hasn't simply run out of fuel ?

It has been known for the gauges to go **** up
Deffo mate, I aint blonde, only filled up bout 2-3 days ago.

Thanks Turbo, I'll check that out
Old 21 July 2005, 11:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could also be your coolant temp sensor, with this not working properly you will have difficulty starting the engine (and running it) until its hot.
If not, blocked fuel line?

Tony
Old 22 July 2005, 12:30 AM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

As mentioned, if you can't hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on, then there's either no power getting to the pump, or the pump is dead.

If you do a search, you'll find that some people have experienced chafing wires under the back seat, causing an intermittent cut-out of the pump. When my pump died a few months ago, it hesitated once off the lights, and then refused to start after I'd parked outside B&Q!

Easiest way to get to the pump is to take out the back seat. This way, you can get to a connector, and check the resistance / voltage across the pump before committing to getting a new pump. Worst part of changing is trying to get the pipes off the top of the pump!
Old 25 July 2005, 09:13 PM
bob269
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
The fuel pump is in the tank,Acessed from in the boot on the offside there is a plate remove this (4 screws) for access to the tank.Its often easier to remove the rear seat. Check that you have power at the connections on top of the tank either when you first turn the ignition on,this is the prime signal for the pump,The power should then disapear and return when the engine is cranked.If you have power hear its likley to be the pump.If you dont it could be the relay or fuse Or there is a connection under the rear seat that has a tendancy to cause problems.
Looks like its the connection under the seat, the connector block has melted slightly and the wire looks ****y, on moving the wire car fired up first time, so looks like this was the culprit.

Thanks to all of you for your help in pointing me straight to the problem.

Just out of interest, there's another access panel in the boot to the left of the pump which seems to be wired up to the pump, any ideas what this is ?

Thanks once again