Notices

Lack of boost in 2nd gear Classic 99MYUK

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2005, 03:06 PM
andy99turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lack of boost in 2nd gear Classic 99MYUK

The following has happened three times over the past week, any suggestions would be much appreciated !

Car : 99MY UK Turbo, totally standard, just had Subaru service. Super u/l fuel used.

Holding car in 2nd gear waiting to over take slower traffic, revs approx 3-4k, foot flat to the floor, very little boost detected at all, change up to 3rd no problem at all, boost all back as it should.

It only seems to do it in 2nd gear.
Old 11 July 2005, 03:10 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They all do that - drive by noise test compliance. Try lifting before flooring it if you've been at those sort of revs in 2nd for any time.
Old 11 July 2005, 03:10 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is built into the ecu. only does it in second. think blipping the throttle with clutch in then booting it works fine. something to do with emissions iirc.
Old 11 July 2005, 03:15 PM
andy99turbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for such quick replies, Im sure I have had read the same thing on here before, but, couldnt find it with a search

Im glad that I am not the only one that suffers from it, but worrying when you go to overtake though and the car turns out to be having no go whatsoever !!
Old 11 July 2005, 03:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by andy99turbo
Thanks for such quick replies, Im sure I have had read the same thing on here before, but, couldnt find it with a search

Im glad that I am not the only one that suffers from it, but worrying when you go to overtake though and the car turns out to be having no go whatsoever !!
Caught me out when I was new to the car too mate! I'm well remember the disconcerting feeling when I gave the car WOT in 2nd and awaited the shove in back that never came. Thought the turbo had a mind of its own!!

Stupid drive by noise regs! I guess they wouldn't approve of my H&S backbox!!

Its fairly easy to drive around though, as john says, just lift off before giving it WOT. I think it only actually happens when you drive off boost for some time then give it WOT. If you're going straight through the gears it certainly wont happen and I don't think it happens if you hold the car on boost then give it some beans either.

NS04

NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 11 July 2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11 July 2005, 05:18 PM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

I am glad you posted this as mine does it but I have never asked anyone - It is pretty annoying - Mine keeps the boost down all the way to 5,500 RPM then the boost picks back up again though.
Old 12 July 2005, 10:53 AM
andy99turbo
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, what are the exact parameters that cause this ?

Also, how did you find about it happening officially ?

Cheers
Old 12 July 2005, 12:25 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Smile

From www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm section 3.10.

There is also an apparent protection system built in to the ECU to prevent damage to the gearbox under hard acceleration in 2nd gear. When travelling at a constant speed for a period of time between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm(more than 5 seconds), pressing the accelerator can result in less than full boost being delivered until 5,000+ rpm is reached. This phenomenon has been observed in a variety of cars, in different countries, but only by a small handful of drivers. Without replacing the ECU with an aftermarket one, the only real alternative is to make a change in your driving style. Simply drive along in 3rd gear, and change down to 2nd when needed, or simply change up to third and let the mid range torque do all the work.
A well known feature apparently, can't say I've ever experianced it myself though.
Old 12 July 2005, 12:40 PM
andy99turbo
Scooby Regular

Hi

Cheers for the link.

When I experienced the problem for the 3rd time (before posting on here, cheers for the info guys), I tried calling Subaru UK technical. However, I never actually got to speak to anyone, all of sick or on holiday and customer services were dismissive to say the least.

Tried calling a few dealers, none of them acknowledged any known problem, all just suggested taking the car to them for a diagnostic check, which would obviously cost me money too !