Notices

anyone fitted a VF36/37 to a classic?

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2005, 09:18 AM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb anyone fitted a VF36/37 to a classic?

i understand you would need the sump, headers and turbo to do this but has anyone actually done it???

it may make an interesting conversion

i am looking at fitting this to my sti v4.

other mods i am looking at are-

full 3" exhaust (fitted)
uprated fuel pump (fitted)
apexi panel filter with enlarged airbox intake from inner wing(fitted)
sx regulator
550cc injectors
sti 8 top mount conversion
apexi power fc mapped by Andy F
Old 23 June 2005, 11:10 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonny gav
i understand you would need the sump, headers and turbo to do this but has anyone actually done it???

it may make an interesting conversion

i am looking at fitting this to my sti v4.

other mods i am looking at are-

full 3" exhaust (fitted)
uprated fuel pump (fitted)
apexi panel filter with enlarged airbox intake from inner wing(fitted)
sx regulator
550cc injectors
sti 8 top mount conversion
apexi power fc mapped by Andy F
You also need the up-pipe and downpipe to fit a twinscroll. Once you have the downpipe for a twinscroll I am not sure whether the centre and backboxes can be used from classics/new ages?

Sparkywrx94 is currently doing this to his car, hopefully he will see your thread and give some better input.
Old 23 June 2005, 06:07 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i think fuzz is doing this so snowcrash`s rebuild on 22b.com mate

thread is "engine nearly dead"
Old 23 June 2005, 06:11 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

I think you need the oil pick up and dipstick to go with that sump pan as well.
Old 23 June 2005, 09:40 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

thanks guys
Old 23 June 2005, 10:34 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

didnt simon lines already do this but the power delivery wasnt as good as he expected
Old 24 June 2005, 08:15 AM
sparkywrx94
Scooby Regular

I have just finished this conversion on my 1994 JDM WRX, using power enterprise 1825 turbo which is supposed to be larger than the VF36/36. I had to change to a phase 1.5 manifold/throttlebody and change the power steering pump ect but with your car being sti 4 then you are half way there. You will need the following parts from a JDM STI 8

exhaust manifold £250 ish
up pipe £100 ish
oil pickup
oil sump £80
turbo mounting bracket
dip stick
dip stick tube
turbo gaskets and manifold gaskets

I have not used the dip stick or dip stick tube but will be trying to get them sometime soon because its difficult to sea the oil level.

you also need a 3" twin scroll downpipe, I got mine from Performance subaru in Ireland, £245

any twin scroll down pipe should fit any classic centre and back box, I have my down pipe mated to a 2.5" magnex centre and back box which will be changed to a 3" system soon to match the DP.

You should be able to source a VF37 for about £600, VF36 are very hard to get hold of.

Every thing should be a direct fit.

The main difference was the sound, its takes a bit getting used to but, now the system has had time to set in, its sound quite awesome.

With regard to my conversion I have used 500cc injectors, SX reg, parallel fuel mod with modified rails for -6AN fittings supplied by 'MEF'.

I carnt comment on performance yet because there is a problem with the mapping I think, and the setting up of the injectors, something aint right with the general running of the car, it feels flat. When we were mapping it, it just didnt pull well at all. I think its nothing to do with the turbo, It is very responsive but dont know yet where it will make full boost because there is also an issue with boost control.

Mark

Trending Topics

Old 07 July 2005, 08:53 AM
sparkywrx94
Scooby Regular

Just to recap, if anyone is interested

I have found that one of my injectors is leaking out of the top of the fuel rail. I tested the rails in water with a foot pump, pressured them up to 80 psi and one of them was leaking. No matter where I put it in the rails or what o-rings I used, it was still leaking, but only from the top larger o-ring (or the top of the injector itself), not from the bottom o-ring(not into the cylinder). I changed he injector for a new one and the overall AFR ratio went really lean, I had to scale the fuelling by 20% to hit the correct AFR's which I think indicated that the leaking injector was over fuelling (malfunctioning) with the other three cylinders running correct, so after mapping I must of had three lean and one rich. This sort of thing is impossible to spot unless you check the AFR of each cylinder individually.

so now the car is running properly, I am just waiting for a re-map. The exhaust note is a lot better and quieter and the engine ticks over fine and runs much better. I gave it a quick run at part throttle after setting the rough AFR's and the response from the turbo is excellent even just with a bleed valve (temporary until I get new boost solenoid), with just slight throttle, it really pulls nice.

I am expecting to run this turbo to 1.7 bar midrange peak with 1.4/1.5 bar to 6500 rpm. but will be looking to find the best compromise between ignition advance and boost.

I am expecting 350-400 bhp (maybe more considering this turbo is quoted to be 400 bhp+), depending on how much advance we can dial in because I have high compression of 9:1 which holds back the advance a little. I think this setup should give the ultimate street performance with loads of response.

I will have to wait and see but things are looking good.

Mark
Old 18 September 2005, 12:50 AM
subivoodoo
Scooby Newbie

Default I've fitted VF37 to MY99

Hello,

I'm from Switzerland and I've done the twinscroll conversion of my MY99. Parts are neede like sparkywrx94 describt it. No problems to fit it!!!
I've driven this setup for 40tkm without any problems. I've 292(Din)PS (=???bhp) / 392Nm (290lbft) with 1.2Bar and EcuTek remap. Trottle response is pretty good and I've full boost around 3200-3400rpm.

@sparkywrx94
But now, I'm very interested in buying a used VF36 (in JP) and convert it to a PE1825. But how does a PE1825 spools up in your MY94? When does it hit 1Bar?

Regards
Adrian