Notices

PDA software for reading boost, oil temp etc

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2005, 06:27 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDA software for reading boost, oil temp etc

I'm looking for some software to run on a pocket PC which can read boost, oil temp, oil pressure etc. I've spoke to scoobyworld about the ESP software, this plugs into the port under the steering column gives you loads of info, but not the 3 i'm after. Does anybody know of anyging that can do this???
Old 02 June 2005, 07:41 PM
donutman
Scooby Regular

i also looked at the esp software it looks very good, but it needed to the cable to be pluged in the bottom of the ipaq. I have a cradle that mine sits in that charges it on the move and has a built in speaker for the sat nav, so i can not connect it. I would of thought that most would have a mount for there pda in the car so how the hell do they expect you to connect it?

i do not think there is anyother software for a pda m8 but if you do find some with a bluetooth connection let me know.

cheers
Old 02 June 2005, 08:24 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

There are several other diagnostic software packages, generally more money than the ESP, often made in the USA. Do a Google on OBDII - the scoob runs a pretty generic on-board diagnostics port, and the software is compatable with 2/3 of other new cars about.
Old 02 June 2005, 08:25 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
I'm looking for some software to run on a pocket PC which can read boost, oil temp, oil pressure etc. I've spoke to scoobyworld about the ESP software, this plugs into the port under the steering column gives you loads of info, but not the 3 i'm after. Does anybody know of anyging that can do this???
austen_wrx,
I've been looking recently and scanning the net for various solutions. I quite like the bluetooth solution from Vital Vital Engineering. I've run their software without buying the connector and it seems quite good.

As a software engineer by trade I will likely write my own software to look and feel exactly what I want. Looking at other solutions I quite like the look of the software from here which interfaces to the rather bloated hardware solution from ScanTools

For ODBC-II cables and connectors I could only really find a US company called ValueCan. This company does the ValueCan which looks like it could be a good platform to develop your own software. Must admit though I haven't had time to look at this yet.

What we all really want is Delta Dash from ECUTEK for the Pocket PC.

Let us know if you find anymore info.
-Steve.
P.S: I have NO connection at all with any of the companies mentioned above.
Old 02 June 2005, 08:25 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

great bit of kit

I know what you mean about the cable though

I can't charge mine whilst running it
Old 02 June 2005, 08:58 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Delta dash for pocket PC is exactly what i want, but alas i've already spoke to them and they don't make it

I thought connection would be a problem whilst in a cradle

cheers crispyd, i iwll have a gander through those sites. I found the company in the states that i assume writes the software that scoobyworld sell, unfortunetly they don't do anytging extra
Old 03 June 2005, 09:57 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Dont forget that you would need extra sensors for oil temp and pressure because the ECU has no input nor are there sensors.
Old 03 June 2005, 09:57 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
Dont forget that you would need extra sensors for oil temp and pressure because the ECU has no input nor are there sensors.
I know, this is the problem
Old 03 June 2005, 10:25 AM
fallwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crispyduck
austen_wrx,
I've been looking recently and scanning the net for various solutions. I quite like the bluetooth solution from Vital Vital Engineering. I've run their software without buying the connector and it seems quite good.

As a software engineer by trade I will likely write my own software to look and feel exactly what I want. Looking at other solutions I quite like the look of the software from here which interfaces to the rather bloated hardware solution from ScanTools

For ODBC-II cables and connectors I could only really find a US company called ValueCan. This company does the ValueCan which looks like it could be a good platform to develop your own software. Must admit though I haven't had time to look at this yet.

What we all really want is Delta Dash from ECUTEK for the Pocket PC.

Let us know if you find anymore info.
-Steve.
P.S: I have NO connection at all with any of the companies mentioned above.
Has anyone tried the bluetooth solution from vital engineering, just rang them and it costs 199.00 complete with the software, does anyone know if this is a viable replacement for a knocklink as i was about to buy one.
Old 03 June 2005, 10:43 AM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fallwood
Has anyone tried the bluetooth solution from vital engineering, just rang them and it costs 199.00 complete with the software, does anyone know if this is a viable replacement for a knocklink as i was about to buy one.
I know it reads from the standard knock sensor, but i've been told on here (doesn't mean its true though) that this sensor isn't the best.
Old 03 June 2005, 04:00 PM
Ferry
Scooby Regular

A French solution: http://wpsm.free.fr/
Old 03 June 2005, 04:09 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

from my very limited french i see this messures turbo pressure, how??
Old 03 June 2005, 05:00 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

It just reads out the signal from the map sensor already fitted which is reading the manifold pressure and controlling the boost via the ECU. Are you sure ESP doesnt do this?
It does say "Intake Air pressure" if this is manifold pressure then you have your boost pressure. AFAIK the only thing the ECU does is compensate for atmospheric whilst controlling boost although this may be able to be read on the diagnostic.
Old 03 June 2005, 07:43 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beastie
It just reads out the signal from the map sensor already fitted which is reading the manifold pressure and controlling the boost via the ECU. Are you sure ESP doesnt do this?
ESP does measure the manifold pressure, and therefore boost - absolutely certainly as I've done it!
Old 03 June 2005, 09:25 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately, unless you change the ECU, I don't think you are ever going to be able to read oil pressure and temperature information with any pda software. Even then, I'm not aware of any pda software that works with the likes of Power FC, MoTeC etc.

Thor Engineering are developing a bluetooth ESP type system. Maybe they have added features for extra inputs.

Get yourself a nice set of Defi Gauges - Xtreme Scoobies do a good all-in deal.
Old 03 June 2005, 10:31 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Yes, i've realised this software would read boost (manifold pressure), but scoobyworld actually told me it doesn't
Old 03 June 2005, 10:57 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

and how, exactly, does this translate in to boost pressure, because I'll be buggered if I can work it out. rather disappointed with the ESP software tbh, and am equally disappointed that the update, promised 'just after christmas' was never sent as promised. don't even know if it exists ???
Old 04 June 2005, 12:15 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Reading from Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor is - unsurprisingly - the absolute pressure in the inlet manifold. Can't remember the units ESP reads in, but you need to convert them to either bar or PSI (depending on which you want). That will then give you the absolute pressure - probably just over 2 bar. Boost pressure is the difference between absolute pressure and atmospheric pressure (1 bar/14.5PSI) - so 2 bar absolute = 1 bar boost.

Sounds complicated, but you just need to work it out once that 200 units = 0.9 bar boost or whatever it was.
Old 16 July 2005, 08:35 PM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

austin_wrx,

Did you ever find a PDA bluetooth software solution for this? Also did you ever find anyone who was using Vital Engineering's kit I referenced above with a Scooby?
-Steve
Old 17 July 2005, 10:05 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

I have been in contact with vital, and we are meeting up to run a few tests ect . I will keep you posted.
Old 18 July 2005, 07:56 AM
crispyduck
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the update. I'm sure there are many other keen Scooby techies interested in how you get on (including me).