Notices

Knocklink Faulty?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2005, 09:26 PM
Dr Who
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Knocklink Faulty?

I have fitted a knock link sensor to my car over the week end, but I am thinking it may be faulty, when powered up the bottom green L.E.D lights up and thats about all that happens, it goes slightly brighter when the car is driven hard, but nothing else appears to happen. I have followed and double checked the fitting and calibration instructions, have tried adjusting the sensitivity and tapping around the sensor but to no avail.
Any clues anyone ?
Old 04 May 2005, 11:29 PM
whitescooby 330
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dr Who
I have fitted a knock link sensor to my car over the week end, but I am thinking it may be faulty, when powered up the bottom green L.E.D lights up and thats about all that happens, it goes slightly brighter when the car is driven hard, but nothing else appears to happen. I have followed and double checked the fitting and calibration instructions, have tried adjusting the sensitivity and tapping around the sensor but to no avail.
Any clues anyone ?
mate they are prone to dry solder joints
Old 04 May 2005, 11:37 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Sounds ok to me!
Originally Posted by Dr Who
Any clues anyone ?
Old 04 May 2005, 11:38 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

What you wont? RED lights ?
Old 04 May 2005, 11:52 PM
mikeswrx02
Scooby Regular

Mine is same as yours, sounds ok to me.

To test you need to wack the bolt in the sensor abit harder to get a good all lights flash.
Old 05 May 2005, 10:30 AM
Dr Who
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikeswrx02
Mine is same as yours, sounds ok to me.

To test you need to wack the bolt in the sensor abit harder to get a good all lights flash.
If yours works the same then it may be o.k, its just it does not respond like the instructions provided say so, have tried tapping the bolt on the sensor but again nothing happens.
Old 05 May 2005, 10:43 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Mate they are built as the cheapest piece of cr#p out there and then you pay a fortune for a unit that costs about £2 in component parts.

As previously said they are known to have dry joints even when new, either send it back or take it apart and re-solder the led bulbs back onto the board and hope it works, if you are hiiting the bolt and no red lights come on its dodgy.

Zippy
Old 05 May 2005, 11:41 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

What are you hitting the bolt with? Its got to be metal to metal contact, a BFO spanner dropped on it gives the desired frequency, a screwdriver handle doesn't
Old 05 May 2005, 04:14 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I had to resolder all the LEDs in mine. I then gummed tham all together with glue to stop them vibrating about which is what caused the solder to snap.

Steve
Old 05 May 2005, 04:17 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

There was a spate of defective knocklinks with atrocious soldering about 12 months ago and as a result I started personally testing every knocklink we sold before it went out.

It seems now that the quality of soldering is much better and in the last 6 months I have not had one single failure. Obviously transit damage can be a a factor for something made of plastic coming 11000 miles, but at the momnet the problem seems to have been corrected, at least in the ones that we have received.

re testing the sensor placing something metallic on the sensor bolt like a socket extension and then tapping the end lightly with something metallic e.g. screwdriver is a good way to test. Don't WHACK the sensor though too hard.

Any knocklink should be tested this way after fitting as fragile LED legs (especially the big red) can easily be broken in a hamfisted install.

Rich
Old 05 May 2005, 04:32 PM
Dr Who
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the response, I will take another look tonight and take the cover off and have another look inside.
Old 05 May 2005, 07:24 PM
Dr Who
Scooby Regular

Cool

Success ! After gently tapping the sensor with an extension bar I was dissapointed to find nothing happening, then remembered I'd turned the sensitivity out last night Doh!
Reset the sensitivity and its like Blackpool illuminations !
I am now satisfied that it is functioning correctly, Thank you individually to each and everyone of you who replied !

Last edited by Dr Who; 05 May 2005 at 08:27 PM.