Knocklink

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2005, 07:39 PM
nobby236
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocklink

Hi people,

Just got round to fitting a knocklink I bought about 5 months ago ( you know how it goes ), waiting for a good moment
Any way I've a couple of concerns.....The 1st green light seems to glow faintly when power is connected ( tried 2 sources of power and earths ) Is this correct ? The paper that came with it says all lights should extinguish.

2nd concern is, even with the setting on max I've not yet seen even the 1st green light come on whilst severe driving and also it takes quite a wack on the block next to it to get a flash of red. Even a fairly hard hit with a spanner on the block only gives 2 greens.

I've got Muddy's old MY93 WRX running 251 bhp, so no real major mods ( Exhaust, induction mainly oh and a walbro fuel pump. ) Its also got a Dawes Air Fuel meter which doesn't show any problems.
Full list of mods :-
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=356552

Does this sound right to all who know or does it sound like something isn't working right. Don't want to bugger the engine by thinking everything is fine when its a faulty sensor or something.

Sorry for the long post but I did search and didn't find answers so any help please..

Dave
Old 10 April 2005, 07:49 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Good post...

Gonna be getting one this month for MY94 WRX if i can.

Were did you get it mate? Cost? Hard the fit??
Old 10 April 2005, 07:54 PM
whitescooby 330
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlanPPP
Good post...

mate i fitted one last week and my 1st green light comes on when powered up
Old 10 April 2005, 07:58 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I fitted mine a few weeks back, took a fair bit of wacking to get to the red

However when driving as I approach the redline I can usually get the first and sometimes the second green to flicker. It usually lights some of the LEDs, sometimes up to the red, when starting the car.

You have got it set to max sensitivity? There a potentiometer on it which allows you to adjust, fully clockwise is the highest sensitivity IIRC.
Old 10 April 2005, 08:06 PM
whitescooby 330
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
I fitted mine a few weeks back, took a fair bit of wacking to get to the red

However when driving as I approach the redline I can usually get the first and sometimes the second green to flicker. It usually lights some of the LEDs, sometimes up to the red, when starting the car.

You have got it set to max sensitivity? There a potentiometer on it which allows you to adjust, fully clockwise is the highest sensitivity IIRC.
mine is set to max but on the instructions it tells you not to
Old 10 April 2005, 08:08 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got round to fitting a knocklink I bought about 5 months ago ( you know how it goes ), waiting for a good moment
Any way I've a couple of concerns.....The 1st green light seems to glow faintly when power is connected ( tried 2 sources of power and earths ) Is this correct ? The paper that came with it says all lights should extinguish.

Perfectly normal - dul first green indicates power to unit

2nd concern is, even with the setting on max I've not yet seen even the 1st green light come on whilst severe driving and also it takes quite a wack on the block next to it to get a flash of red. Even a fairly hard hit with a spanner on the block only gives 2 greens.

HHmm mine takes a good twack actually on the bolt of the sensor to get it to light. - fully clockwise for max sensitivity by the way

I've got Muddy's old MY93 WRX running 251 bhp, so no real major mods ( Exhaust, induction mainly oh and a walbro fuel pump. ) Its also got a Dawes Air Fuel meter which doesn't show any problems.

Does this sound right to all who know or does it sound like something isn't working right. Don't want to bugger the engine by thinking everything is fine when its a faulty sensor or something.

251 sounds good to me mate. You could upgarde to a z4 ecu which would give you a bit more power and its perfectly safe for uk fuel too.

Sorry for the long post but I did search and didn't find answers so any help please..

Ni need to panic mate - enjoy the car.

I bet you see a consatnt blue on that AFR gauge too dont you with the new fuel pump?
Old 10 April 2005, 08:12 PM
nobby236
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dj219957

Perfectly normal - dul first green indicates power to unit

HHmm mine takes a good twack actually on the bolt of the sensor to get it to light. - fully clockwise for max sensitivity by the way

251 sounds good to me mate. You could upgarde to a z4 ecu which would give you a bit more power and its perfectly safe for uk fuel too.

Ni need to panic mate - enjoy the car.

I bet you see a consatnt blue on that AFR gauge too dont you with the new fuel pump?

Hee Hee....Oh yes a constant blue.....Never seen it on anything else when flooring it....Sounds like its all working fine then...Thank God for that...Cheers for the reply
Old 10 April 2005, 08:14 PM
nobby236
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Good post...

I found someone on here who had one over from a group buy...Paid £115 or £120 I think.....Not really hard to fit but took a long time...I took the I/C off but have later seen that it can be done without doing this. DOH
Old 10 April 2005, 08:24 PM
nobby236
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the answers mate...Now about the z4 ecu....Is it a straight swap ? what sort of money are we talking about and whats the diff to the 1 currently on the car.
Dave
Old 10 April 2005, 09:09 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The z4 ecu is a staright swap yes. Plug and play. Its the best standard ecu that was put into the classic in my eyes. It has a very simular map to the prodrive upgrade map that was out the time for the uk cars. it will work fine with optimax. I have it in mine. They were used on the later jap import classic and are easily dentified by "z4" on the case. They give 260 ps compared to your 240ps
They go for around £150 and are a safe bet.

Originally Posted by nobby236
Thanks for the answers mate...Now about the z4 ecu....Is it a straight swap ? what sort of money are we talking about and whats the diff to the 1 currently on the car.
Dave
Old 10 April 2005, 09:43 PM
nobby236
Scooby Newbie

Cool

The z4 ecu is a staright swap yes. Plug and play. Its the best standard ecu that was put into the classic in my eyes. It has a very simular map to the prodrive upgrade map that was out the time for the uk cars. it will work fine with optimax. I have it in mine. They were used on the later jap import classic and are easily dentified by "z4" on the case. They give 260 ps compared to your 240ps
They go for around £150 and are a safe bet.
I think I'll start keeping my eye out for one...Seems like a fairly safe upgrade to me. Cheers for the info..
Dave
Old 10 April 2005, 10:33 PM
whitescooby 330
Scooby Regular

Good post...

mate your inbox is full
Old 10 April 2005, 11:32 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Nobby,

Sounds pretty good to me. The dim green light is just to say you have power at the monitor. I know when i installed mine it confused me for a while. I was fitting this whilst in the garage and could see the bright green light. Don't expect to see anything to be honest. Move the car out into day light and the light all but disapears, until of coarse theres activity there to make the thing light up.
Just for the record my JDM STi shows 1st green, sometimes the 2nd. Very very rearly the first orange. Thats with the monitor set to max. Optimax and NF booster as a Scooby snack.
Old 10 April 2005, 11:39 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Knock Sensor/connector ?would you need one of these aswell as an knocklink
Old 10 April 2005, 11:49 PM
whitescooby 330
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie rich
yes mate the knocklink is only the display you also need the bosch sensor and the connector
Old 10 April 2005, 11:54 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie rich
Not quite sure what is ment by your question mate but i'll try to answer the best way i can.

The sensor bolts to the block. If you like a microphone for want of a better word. Knocklink monitor is in the cockpit. This is what your looking at. Plug and go harness connects the two together the two. Also theres a seperate lead for your pwr source supply.

Does that answer your question?
Old 10 April 2005, 11:58 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

yes MATE so you need three items , a knocklink + a sensor.and a power source.

Last edited by richie rich; 11 April 2005 at 12:47 AM. Reason: becouse there is three
Old 11 April 2005, 12:27 AM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Richie, have a look here. This should give you a pretty good idea what makes up the knocklink set up and how to install it all.
Old 11 April 2005, 12:36 AM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Thank you, this is all I asked for, thanks for your time..

Richie

Originally Posted by Rokay
Richie, have a look here. This should give you a pretty good idea what makes up the knocklink set up and how to install it all.
Old 11 April 2005, 01:18 PM
nobby236
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies people...Looks like mine is fine then...Manged to get 1 green on this morning redlining in 3rd on my way to work...Seems the engine is sweet then.
Now anyone point me in the right direction for a Z4 ecu