Notices

MAF sensor..!

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2005, 10:36 AM
kris55
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF sensor..!

Ok what does this sensor do guys I have herd if it not checked it could cause you loads of problems so as Im now looking to buy an STi I wonted to know how can I see if this thing is ok and where would I find it
Also do Sti come with Induction kits or dump valves as std I herd that the Scoob turbo does have a dump valve on it..?
Im only asking as most of the Imports Im looking at have Stainless exhaust Dump valve and also induction kits listed
Also do all the imports have Air Con or Climate control in them
Old 23 March 2005, 10:45 AM
mudfrog
Scooby Regular

http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/induction/

A bit of info on MAF sensor and induction kits.

All impreza turbos have a dump valve as standard but people choose to upgrade them for extra psshh or to compensate for other upgrades.

And all imports as far as I'm aware have air con and climate control as standard.

For more info see this link http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

Hope this helps,

Rich
Old 23 March 2005, 10:53 AM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by kris55
Ok what does this sensor do guys I have herd if it not checked it could cause you loads of problems so as Im now looking to buy an STi I wonted to know how can I see if this thing is ok and where would I find it
Also do Sti come with Induction kits or dump valves as std I herd that the Scoob turbo does have a dump valve on it..?
Im only asking as most of the Imports Im looking at have Stainless exhaust Dump valve and also induction kits listed
Also do all the imports have Air Con or Climate control in them
Which STi era are you referring to? I assume you mean classics?

MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor used to measure the air flow taken in. Its found (on classics) bottom left of the engine as you stand looking at it, and assuming its standard air kit, plugged into the side of the black air intake. Costs about £80 to replace. Sensible owners, , replace the MAF as a matter of course annually as the MY99-00 are known to be weak. There are various posts on MAF sensor symptoms and tests (searching for idle, hesitation at 4K, etc). Quick search will see you right.

I have no experience with induction kits and/or dump valves, so I'll leave that for other..
Old 23 March 2005, 10:53 AM
kris55
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mudfrog
http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/induction/

A bit of info on MAF sensor and induction kits.

All impreza turbos have a dump valve as standard but people choose to upgrade them for extra psshh or to compensate for other upgrades.

And all imports as far as I'm aware have air con and climate control as standard.

For more info see this link http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

Hope this helps,

Rich
Nice one some good info there so is it a case that the MAF sensor fails due to an after market induction kit being fited incorrectly or that the filter in the induction kit isnt cleaned regular cosing a build up of dirty and crude to do its bad work?
It seems simular to a problem that RS Turbos suffered with there was a pin in the Inlet mainifold when you unscred it there was a wacking hole in it but if it got filled wiht crape it caused no end of probelms inc the car not starting
Am I on the same path with the Scoob MAF sensor?
Old 23 March 2005, 10:57 AM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kris55
Nice one some good info there so is it a case that the MAF sensor fails due to an after market induction kit being fited incorrectly or that the filter in the induction kit isnt cleaned regular cosing a build up of dirty and crude to do its bad work?
A MAF sensor can fail with or without mods. Mine failed with no induction changes whatsever - symptomatic of the year model I have.
Old 23 March 2005, 10:58 AM
mudfrog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattPiece
Costs about £80 to replace. Sensible owners, , replace the MAF as a matter of course annually
£80!!!??? I wish. Just had to shell out £280 for a new replacement on mine.

I think the newer model impreza maf sensors are cheaper cause theres more of them. As mine is a my96 very difficult to get hold of one.
If any one knows where I can get one cheaper than £280 I would be very grateful cause I ain't paying that on a yearly basis. lol
Old 23 March 2005, 11:03 AM
MattPiece
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mudfrog
£80!!!??? I wish. Just had to shell out £280 for a new replacement on mine.

I think the newer model impreza maf sensors are cheaper cause theres more of them. As mine is a my96 very difficult to get hold of one.
If any one knows where I can get one cheaper than £280 I would be very grateful cause I ain't paying that on a yearly basis. lol

Jeez! Mine's a MY99. Just £75 for the sensor but I'm sure I've heard dealers charging £300 for the whole unit? Could be wrong though. I dont know about MY96 I'm afraid...
Old 23 March 2005, 11:14 AM
kris55
Scooby Regular

maybe thats Y its so expensive the older models you have to buy a complete unit
where as the newer models cars you can buy just the sensor
I use to work for Vauxhall and then Mitsubishi all in the parts department and I know that how they work some times you wont a small sensor but you have to buy the housing then they change the new models as customers complain and rightly so that its an unfair rip off as the housing is ok its just the sensor thats failed
Happend more at Mitsubishi
Had a guy with a Galant Turbo it was a 1989 car he was told the ECU was busted poor guy nearly had a hart attack when I said how much it was to buy a new one
It was just worth a little more than the car it was like 3 times what the car was worth and what the guy paid for it