Notices

Help with wrx purchase

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2005, 02:29 PM
greegs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with wrx purchase

Hi, I am looking for some advice. I am seriously considering buying a 94/95 wrx impreza in the next month or so but just about everybody I have spoken to has said don't go near one. I have owned quite a few cars over the past few years but never a jap import. Have been a passenger in one and could not believe the acceleration. I've heard all sorts of things like clutches and gearboxes don't last long, you need to take engine out to change plugs? they need serviced every 3000 miles, fuel consumption is diabolical etc etc I have had a few insurance quotes best being £570 fully comp with protected NCB listing suspension, exhaust and air filter as mods. I'm 30 years old right enough!
I'm not wanting to spend anymore than 4k and would like the car to have around 50000 miles with at least cat 1 security.
I'm looking for some advice and peace of mind stories from current owners!!!
Thanks
Old 26 January 2005, 02:49 PM
Belmondo
Scooby Regular

£4k for a 50000mile car is on the low side if the mileage is genuine and the car is in good condition. Thats not to say you won't get a good one for that it might take a lot of looking though.
The main drawback with a Jap WRX especially an early one is the fuel issue. They are set up to run on 100RON in Japan the best we can get is 97 and a bit. This can cause detonation (usually results in a big end failure). You can't get the ecu remapped easily or therefore cheaply.
£570 insurance is VERY good (who's that with?) I always found getting quotes for mine a major hastle.
Spark plugs are good for 40k and are a DIY job with the right tools. All you have to remove for access is the airbox gubbins. Other routine servicing is easy. You can do an oil change in 15mins.
Stuff does go wrong though and parts are expensive. Check for the exhaust uppipe cracking / leaking (its a major hastle to fix). The O2 sensor on those early cars cost £250+ for the right part. You can get one for around £50 but you have to bodge the wires together....
Old 26 January 2005, 03:22 PM
greegs
Scooby Regular

Thanks for advice. My insurance quote was through Admiral's online site.
Old 26 January 2005, 05:08 PM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greegs
I've heard all sorts of things like clutches and gearboxes don't last long, you need to take engine out to change plugs? they need serviced every 3000 miles, fuel consumption is diabolical etc etc
Clutches are fine and quite strong, although lots of full on standing start launches will kill them much like any performance car, particularly 4WD ones. Many Scoobies have slight clutch judder when they are cold, providing it goes away when the car is warm it is usually O.K and nothing to worry about. Often a couple of hard starts will clean the clutch enough to get rid of the judder for a few weeks. Barring hideous abuse, gearboxes are really only a problem on heavily modified cars where the extra torque can get too much and kill 3rd gear, so for a fairly standard car there should be no worries, just make sure it changes sweetly. If at some point you want to modify and and you pop the gearbox there are various ways to go with 2nd hand Sti gearboxes or up rated parts to accomodate the extra torque. As mentioned, the plugs can be pulled no problem, although you need to move the washer bottle on one side and the air box on the other. It seems a total pig the first time you do it but once you have got the knack of it and figured out the combination of sockets and handles you need to fit in the space it is no bother. Standard service intervals are 7,500 miles, but many people do an oil change in between. Fuel consumption will be between 20 and 25 in normal use, make up your own mind if that is diabolical for a car of this performance. You will have to use At LEAST Optimax, and possibly Octane booster as well to keep an import running safe and happy unless it is re-mapped for Uk fuel, so bear that in mind when figuring costs.

Let's face it, you can't justify a car like this on an economic basis unless you are prepared to recognise that you are paying more to run it because it is more fun than a normal car, the extra money is extra fun, simple as that, and on that basis pretty good value.

Go for it, find a good one, and enjoy, you won't look back.
Old 26 January 2005, 05:54 PM
greegs
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for the advice mate. Do you think I will find a car with the budget I've got ?
Old 27 January 2005, 08:39 AM
AvalancheS8
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much for the advice mate. Do you think I will find a car with the budget I've got ?
I would think so, but you might need to be a little flexible about mileage. It not really a big deal if the car is in good condition. I bought my '97 Uk car with about 59k on it, it now has about 88k and feels just as good, in fact due to some mods, it feels better!
Old 27 January 2005, 09:11 AM
sky26
Scooby Newbie

For that mileage it is probably going to cost around £5000 for a standard example
Old 27 January 2005, 09:17 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Talking

Mine is for sale

The big services to whatch for is 45k miles (cambelt) and 60K miles (all fluids, fuel filters, plugs etc)

This is my 2nd scoob (I have a 3rd in the garage!) and I know all the ins and outs of imprezas of this age. If you're interested mail me, running costs on these things doesn't have to break the bank

Last edited by Jay m A; 27 January 2005 at 09:27 AM.
Old 27 January 2005, 05:30 PM
corfi
Scooby Regular

i would try ebay but make sure you see the car before you bid i got my wife a 94wrx for 4000 it was mint had just had full service (including cam belt)new tyres etc and had all bills etc then it went sideways out of a junction and i crashed it not good lol but i have found it pays to shop around for parts ie i got a set of clocks from a well known breaker for £217 then was offerd a set for £35 but i wouldnt go into buying one unless you are prepared to stash some money away for running costs and the odd broken bit but compared to what else you can get for £4000 nothing else is even close
Old 27 January 2005, 06:13 PM
greegs
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for info guys. Ebay is where I am seeing most of WRX's but I would definately be going to look before I buy.

Sorry Jay m a, not looking for wagon model although it does look very clean. Good luck with sale though!!
Old 27 January 2005, 09:02 PM
corfi
Scooby Regular

i think they do an auction at liverpool docks on a thursday google will find site may be worth a look if your not too far away could save a few quid doing things yourself and cutting out the middle man
Old 27 January 2005, 09:20 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

A bit of info for you.

What the peopl have said above is correct. These cars are not nearly as problematic as what you have heard.

My MY98 WRX runs 320bhp, using optimax and an Octane booster (plus other mods). Had it over a year now and no problems.

I have a knocklink fitted to detect harmful detonation and a boost guage is an essential piece of kit to give you an early warning if things are going to go bang. £250 for both units.

Common killers of engines are

1) Not mapped for the mods/bad mods
2) Wrong fuel, linked to the above
3) Failing/Failed MAF sensor

Insurance = Liverpool Victoria
Octane booster = Scoobymania £2.44 per tank
Knocklink = BR Developmets
Boost gauge = anywhere really
Optimax = Shell (98 ron btw)

Last edited by Welloilbeefhooked; 27 January 2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 27 January 2005, 10:11 PM
greegs
Scooby Regular

Thanks corfi I'll check that out.

Thanks for advice Welloilbeefhooked but how do you know Maf is dead or dying- what are symptoms ? poor running ?
Old 27 January 2005, 11:06 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

Thanks corfi I'll check that out.

Thanks for advice Welloilbeefhooked but how do you know Maf is dead or dying- what are symptoms ? poor running ?
Try disconnecting it when its idleing and it should stall. If it doesnt then its probably knackered. Also, poor fuel economy and detonation are symptoms.

Do a quick search for "maf failure" and there are loads of threads. I got most of my info from here and then found out I had a failed o2 sensor (lambda). You will find that the lambda's and maf's work together, sort of.

Hope this helps