Notices

Maf change ECU reset ??

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2005, 02:18 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maf change ECU reset ??

MY99 if i change the Maf should i do a ECU reset ???
Old 23 January 2005, 06:52 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

didn't get round to it because i thought it was a normal Torxbit20 .....but oh no its one of the stupid ones with the noble bit in the middle

So i fitted my Samco's instead

Question still applies though !!
Old 23 January 2005, 07:01 PM
richiewong
Twatful

No harm in doing so but MY99 ECU learns quick as well
Old 23 January 2005, 07:05 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As above.
You can easily break the nobble off and use a std torx thingy
Old 23 January 2005, 07:51 PM
Baggers
Scooby Regular

Have done so myself recently and would recommend it
Old 23 January 2005, 09:08 PM
Sub69
Scooby Regular

I fitted a new MAF sensor to my MY00 Impreza Turbo today. Having read the threads concerning the possible damage caused by a knackered one, I thought I’d best change it. I have had no indication of any problems, I just thought for the sake of £80, it was worth the piece of mind.

I brought my MAF sensor from my local dealer and also a new air filter for good measure. First problem I came across was the security torx bolts!! A phone call to a friend and twenty minutes later I had the right tool and could start. I thought I'd try disconnecting the sensor and starting it up to see if it stalled. Started up and to my surprise it ran as normal, or at least what I consider to be. Now I'm starting to thing this £80 may have been more necessary than I thought. I disconnected the battery and set about fitting the new bits. Even for me this was a five minute job. Waited 45 minutes and reconnected the battery. Now I had already printed off some tips for how to drive the car after the ECU had been reset. This involved gentle driving to start with and some gentle building up to higher rpm. Crawled to the bypass and then went through the gentle build up of rpm. Fortunately to road was nice and clear, 5800 rpm in fourth equates to just over 115mph!!

The car now feels a little more responsive but if I'm honest it didn't run badly before the new MAF. Does the fact that it continued to run without the old MAF plugged in mean it was knackered?
Old 24 January 2005, 09:23 PM
Sub69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sub69
I fitted a new MAF sensor to my MY00 Impreza Turbo today. Having read the threads concerning the possible damage caused by a knackered one, I thought I’d best change it. I have had no indication of any problems, I just thought for the sake of £80, it was worth the piece of mind.

I brought my MAF sensor from my local dealer and also a new air filter for good measure. First problem I came across was the security torx bolts!! A phone call to a friend and twenty minutes later I had the right tool and could start. I thought I'd try disconnecting the sensor and starting it up to see if it stalled. Started up and to my surprise it ran as normal, or at least what I consider to be. Now I'm starting to thing this £80 may have been more necessary than I thought. I disconnected the battery and set about fitting the new bits. Even for me this was a five minute job. Waited 45 minutes and reconnected the battery. Now I had already printed off some tips for how to drive the car after the ECU had been reset. This involved gentle driving to start with and some gentle building up to higher rpm. Crawled to the bypass and then went through the gentle build up of rpm. Fortunately to road was nice and clear, 5800 rpm in fourth equates to just over 115mph!!

The car now feels a little more responsive but if I'm honest it didn't run badly before the new MAF. Does the fact that it continued to run without the old MAF plugged in mean it was knackered?
Anyone?
Old 24 January 2005, 09:28 PM
richiewong
Twatful

The car will run without the MAF connected but your idle will be hunting allover the shop and if you started to use boost, the engine would have gone south pretty quickly
Old 24 January 2005, 09:51 PM
Sub69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
The car will run without the MAF connected but your idle will be hunting allover the shop and if you started to use boost, the engine would have gone south pretty quickly
Thanks for the reply. I have to say today the car felt much more rapid!!