Coolant problem

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2005, 11:57 AM
RB5DOCC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant problem

Heres the situation.

Top hose recently replaced after it was split. filled reservoir (left side of engine) slowly to the top. I left the cap off while i started the engine, with hetter on hot, topped up a little more. only about 1.5 - 2lts of coolant added in all.

no problems with the car, heater works fine, checked the level of the reservoir a few days later, still full.

The thing is the coolant level reservoir on the right side of the engine, has no coolant in it!! I am stuck now as i am not sure if my car has enough fluid or theres an air lock somewhere.I understand that any trapped air would have worked its way out as the system is self purging.

Is this of major concern, that there is no level showing, can anyone help?
Old 07 January 2005, 06:48 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

exactly the same on my 93 m8. allways been fine though.
Old 07 January 2005, 10:34 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by axgt_bwaii
exactly the same on my 93 m8. allways been fine though.
Been dame lucky up to this point imo.

Guys, please ensure your cooling systems are serviced correctly. Loads of horror stories where people think they have enough coolent in the system only to have a seized engine on there hands.

Heres my routine for servicing.

1/ Drain coolent from system. You can use the drain at the bottom of the rad but it really does take a long time to drain. Easier to disconnect the lower rad hose and drain into a suitable container. Removing header tank cap will help with drainage as well.

2/ Reconnect lwr rad hose.

3/ Moving to top of system now, remove hose that feeds from rad to engine.

4/ Using flexable funnel feed gently into engine port (where you removed hose) Slowly fill with coolent until a flow is evident from port. Must do this slowly, dont rush it.

5/ Fill the rad, again using flexable funnel until a flow of fluid is evident.

6/ Reconnect the hose between eng and rad.

7/ Top up header tank with coolent. Gently tease the lower hose's as you go to expel any air in system. Keep pooring fluid into tank until it holds it's own level and doesn't drop.

8/ Now the system is just about full (Approx 5/6 ltr will have been added)
We can now start the car. Keep the header cap off at this stage and replenish as required again keep topping up until it holds it own level. Now it does, replace header tank cap. Bring system to temperature and pressure. Chk for leaks. No leaks. Good. Job done.

9/ Keep an eye on the header level over the next few days and replenish as required.

A turbo engine will hold approx 7.5ltrs of coolent, however unless you are working with a totally dry engine then your find you'll only be able to get in 5 to 6 lts of fluid.

Flexable funnel.......Plastic drinks bottle and length of hose connected 12" long
Coolent 50/50 mix

Doing it this way ensures that the fluid gets into the engine and rad. if you look at the feeds from the header tank you'll see that the feeds are no thicker than your finger. Not possable to service system from top of header imho.

Last edited by Rokay; 07 January 2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08 January 2005, 09:11 AM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

tar. errr...... this isnt why my header has started to leak is it? the header was allways full and looked in realy clean (dark green fluid) condition!

stew
Old 10 January 2005, 12:24 PM
hostagewrx
Scooby Regular

Had a problem with my coolant on MY93. Driving up to Newcastle from Manchester at 70mph on the A1. Heater went cold, then engine temp went sky high. Pulled over engine of, engine then would not restart. RAC out, as i checked the coolant, the header tank unit was dry, the coolant top up neck on the right side of the engine bay was full. However the RAC guy refilled the header tank with loads of water, turns out the head gasket might have blown, end of the story is that the cylinder head had not been torqued back on correctly. New engine later.

Point being, howcome the coolant top up filler neck was still showing full but header tank was empty and in fact the entire system?

Cheers
Old 10 January 2005, 12:36 PM
RB5DOCC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys.

So does this mean that i need to empty and refill the system until a level is registered?

Any one have any idea's as to what ive done wrong or what the problem may be?
Old 10 January 2005, 02:00 PM
Belmondo
Scooby Regular

The tank on the right (seethrough plastic with yellow cap) is just an expansion tank. All it does is drain any overfill without spraying it over the engine or on the road. Wack some coolant in it if you like to bring the level up. If you follow the plumbing to and from it you can see that its not really part of the system.
Old 10 January 2005, 03:41 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5DOCC
So does this mean that i need to empty and refill the system until a level is registered

If i where you, yes i would start from scratch. Drain the system down completely start a fresh. At least then you'll know how much fluid you have put in the car.
Follow my write up and i promise you won't go far wrong.

One thing i did leave out and thats to put the heater control to max. This should fill the heater matrix to max.
Old 10 January 2005, 03:49 PM
RB5DOCC
Scooby Regular

Emailed David at API about this this is what he said:

"The tank on the right is the expansion tank - it doesn't necessarily have to have liquid in it. The one to worry about is the main reservoir on the opposite side. The idea is that when the water heats up it expands and opens the filler cap on the reservoir, liquid flows into the expansion and sits waiting to be drawn back in when the pressure is released. Thus sometimes the expansion has water in and sometimes it doesn't. No need to put any in there at all it'll self fill as and when required."

I hope this helps other's. but i will look again at my system to be sure.
Old 10 January 2005, 04:16 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Pleased you sorted it mate.

I've heard stories of seized engines where incorrect serviceing has been carried out. Many fill the system through the header tank imo the various hose's from this tank just aren't larger enough to ensure that the fluid get's right into the system.
As long as your sure theres enough fluid though out the system then thats fine. It is possable to service a system through the header tank, fluid holds it's own leval at the top giving a false impression that you have a full system.
Old 10 January 2005, 05:00 PM
axgt_bwaii
Scooby Regular

sorted mine out today too. cheers for the guide.

stew