Notices

CEL reports MISFIRES - What could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2004, 05:57 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL reports MISFIRES - What could it be?

MY01 77K miles WRX ECUTEK 3 remap with Bob Rawle.

According to ECU I have been getting intermittent misfires on cylinders 1 2 & 3. (ALL at the same time!) I've changed plugs (7B's) and regapped to .6mm.

I can't hear or feel the misfire

I can almost get the the CEL to flash to order. 4th gear, low revs(2900rpm), hard acceleration, say to overtake without changing down to 3rd, lift off slowly and a few seconds later CEL will flash.
It will NEVER do it though if I have accelerated hard in 3rd gear and then changed up to 4th.

I will swap coilpack for Cyl2 onto Cyl4 to see if this moves the misfire but has anyone got any other suggestions?

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited by Markyboy uk; 12 December 2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12 December 2004, 09:18 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

neutral switch on the gearbox it thinks your changing gear when your not
Old 12 December 2004, 09:43 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy

Tell us more, sounds interesting
Old 13 December 2004, 04:03 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy
Funny you should say that. Earlier in the year, before getting the car remapped I was getting a flashing CEL when accelerating in 4th gear. Dealer read CEL and told me I needed a new Neutral Pos Switch. Switch was changed, no more problems until remap but now the ECU reports a misfire not a faulty Neutral switch.
Old 14 December 2004, 08:09 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Extremely interested in a solution, as I have the same thing (P0301, P0302, P0303 and P0304 showing on the SECS display).
When it happens there is no change in the power delivery of the car (i.e. lurches, flat spots etc), just the sodding CEL flashing at me.
I thought it may be the change to 7B plugs, as it didn't happen on the standard 6B's. I haven't had a chance to swap back as the mechanic threw away my 6B's!
I was intedning to blame the Unichip mapper, but if a Bob Rawle mapped car gets them it is unlikely to be that!
Old 14 December 2004, 02:16 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Ok I have some data that may help someone out there to assist me

I have done 2 runs to get the CEL to appear. I have an OBD2 scanner which allows me to read & reset CEL codes.

Freeze frame data is for Cylinder1 (P0301) Although DTC's P0302 & P0303 are also reported.

Run 1
PID Sensor Value
03 Fuel System Status Open loop driving
04 Calculated load value 91.4%
05 Engine Coolant Temp. 88C
0B Intake Man. Ab.Pressure 232 kPa
0C Engine RPM 3958 U/min
0D Vehicle Speed 115 km/h

Run 2
PID Sensor Value
03 Fuel System Status Open loop driving
04 Calculated load value 91.4%
05 Engine Coolant Temp. 88C
0B Intake Man. Ab.Pressure 236 kPa
0C Engine RPM 3960 U/min
0D Vehicle Speed 117 km/h

Almost identical!

There was a gap of 2 days between runs and the ECU was reset after the first run.

What might the above indictate?

Last edited by Markyboy uk; 14 December 2004 at 02:29 PM.
Old 15 December 2004, 07:40 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I too have a similar problem. It's always on the #1 cylinder and occurs mostly when the engine is hot and under load.

Changed plugs and coil pack to no avail

Been with me for 18 months now, one day the true fault will reveal itself
Old 24 February 2005, 11:16 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

Guys I'm getting this problem too (MY02 full decat TEK3).
Did anyone ever get to the bottom of it? I've had the CEL come on three times now in 5th gear on half-boost. Been back to Xtreme a few times and they've tried swapping coil packs around too, between 1&4 and 2&3.

What is this 'neutral position switch' - are they easy/cheap to replace?

hope you can help
David
Old 25 February 2005, 07:12 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

In a friends MY01 with same problem changed neutral position switch and camshaft sensor under warranty.
Problem gone (so far!).
It's very strange, misfire in all cylinders, next CEL camshaft, next PO420 which stopped after sensor changes...
Old 25 February 2005, 09:30 AM
jb2000
Scooby Regular

It is a known problem by prodrive themselves and is caused by one of 2 things, it happens if the clutch has been changed hence the gearbox neutral switch beeing knocked or damadged the second is if a different lighter flywheel has been added.

The cel light flashing as per the manuel is a cat on fire warning, basically its warning you that you could be damaging your exhaust cats.
You can as you say drive on the motor way at a constant speed for hours but when you slow down the cel light flashes.

Last edited by jb2000; 25 February 2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03 May 2005, 11:52 PM
Dox
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by jb2000
It is a known problem by prodrive themselves and is caused by one of 2 things, it happens if the clutch has been changed hence the gearbox neutral switch beeing knocked or damadged the second is if a different lighter flywheel has been added.

The cel light flashing as per the manuel is a cat on fire warning, basically its warning you that you could be damaging your exhaust cats.
You can as you say drive on the motor way at a constant speed for hours but when you slow down the cel light flashes.
Just to bring this back to the surface, I've been suffering too. 02WRX, standard clutch and flywheel. Long motorway runs, like today, Leeds to Guildford in the queue all the way down the M1, fine. Come home, 2hrs at a steady (M25 variable speed) followed by southern M1 tea-time 60-70ish. Then CEL on whilst doing 70ish. Once on, I could get it to flash by pushing the rpm up to 3500 with any kind of load on the engine. Slight downhill, all fine, bottom of the hill, motorway levels out and start to climb, still at 3500rpm and the CEL starts flashing away.

Had DeltaDash with me to install on the works laptop to log all the way home but the $%^&ing laptop battery died so had to watch helplessly. Stuck my laptop on at home unfortunately after everything had cooled down and DD reported P0301 and 20B0 and 20B1 (which are mentioned on the Ecutek forums, but nobody seems to know what they mean).

Went out for a twenty minute thrash and couldn't replicate it. It only seems to happen when the engine has been warm for a while. Is no 1 cylinder close to the turbo?

Anyone any ideas since the last time this thread bobbled to the surface?

Cheers in advance
Dox.
Old 04 May 2005, 08:12 AM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

This is a very common fault with the MY01/02.

If you have a look on the NASIOC forum, they are having exactly the same problems in the States.

Dox- Your problem might be slightly different to everyone else's as this problem normally only displays as a flashing CEL for a short period.

Martin
Old 04 May 2005, 10:10 AM
Dox
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ninnybobs
This is a very common fault with the MY01/02.

If you have a look on the NASIOC forum, they are having exactly the same problems in the States.

Dox- Your problem might be slightly different to everyone else's as this problem normally only displays as a flashing CEL for a short period.

Martin
Hi Martin, if I don't reset the ECU, the CEL stays lit for a few days. It's usually clear after a long weekend parked in the garage (use the wife's car when we're all together at the weekend). Once lit, it seems a period of inactivity rather than five engine starts cures it. It appears as if the CEL stays lit to say that it had recorded something, flashes to say it's recording it again (and again, etc) but the ECU shows just one DTC rather than the same code over and over again (is that normal?).

Pete Croney's suggestion of these symptoms being caused by the front 02 sensor starting to fail makes sense, if the sensor output varies making the ECU think the exhaust gas o2 level has changed, which suggests a cylinder mis-firing. If the sensor is heated under normal conditions, a hot engine (after a long motorway run) could make the (usually minor) problem worse... At £300 though, it's an expensive part to "try swapping" to see if it fixes things...

I'll pop over to NASIOC and see what they're saying...

Cheers
Dox.
Old 04 May 2005, 02:17 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Thought this topic was long dead and burried

Question
IF the CEL only ever comes on during open loop driving would that rule out the possibility of it being an O2 sensor related fault? (As I understand O2 sensors are used for closed loop driving only?)

I have just fitted new coil packs to my MY01 so will see if that changes things.

Mark.
Old 04 May 2005, 09:19 PM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

valve clearance problems can also cause this ie unburnt fuel passing into the exhaust