Notices

Flat battery - here we go again?

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2004, 10:54 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Flat battery - here we go again?

Having had the original battery changed on my 03STi less than a year ago, the new one (60Ahr Varta) is now behaving just like the old one. After a couple of weeks of short journeys to and from work and not using it for three days it gave me a warning "chirp" when starting last week. After not using it over the weekend it's now unable to even engage the starter!
I've left it on a trickle charge but if this continues it's back to the dealer for another battery!
I know it's the high drain from the alarm/Tracker etc. but it really is unacceptable?
Anyone else having problems even with a replacement battery?
JohnD
Old 07 December 2004, 11:11 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

They dont make them like they used to. My classic is seven and a bit years old. Never had a problem with the battery, even when I didnt use the car much one winter(1000 miles over 4 months). Always check the electrolyte level isnt too low and trickle charge once a week if your not using your car.Andy

Last edited by andy97; 07 December 2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07 December 2004, 11:23 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

My Classic was the same - no problem! Maybe it's a case of locking without setting the alarm when I'm at home!
JohnD
Old 07 December 2004, 11:32 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Check the current drain from the battery, I would expext it to be only a few hundred milliamps at most in standby for alarm etc. If its more, then you need to disconnect each item to see where the current drain is. Could be a faulty alternator!
Andy
Old 07 December 2004, 11:46 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my STi5 draws about 0.14 amps with everything switched off - doesn't take long to drain battery beyond voltage needed to start (about 1 week).

Don't know if it seems to be drawing too much or not (not sure what alarm/tracker would draw)
Old 07 December 2004, 01:01 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

I'll check the drain when I get a chance. The alternator is certainly charging as I see over 14v on the SECS after starting, dropping to around 13v A clue to the fact that the battery is not charging for long enough on journey to work is that I still see just under 14v at the end of the trip.
JohnD
Old 07 December 2004, 11:14 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Anyone else having problems even with a replacement battery?
JohnD
Yes, I had mine replaced 12 about 12 months ago, and 3 months later left the car for 1 week and it was flat.
It has been on a battery maintainer since then (when not being driven obviously)
It seems to be par for the course, but that doesn't make it good,

I have accepted it because I only use the car maybe once or twice a week, and need to keep it on a charger really.
Old 08 December 2004, 01:07 AM
gofasterstripes
Scooby Regular

this might sound silly but have u checked ur boot light sometimes they develop a fault in the boot switch and they stay on all night
Old 08 December 2004, 04:18 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Try driving with the lights on all the time. I do and never had any bother from new-03sti, it ups the charge voltage abit.

Maybe your tracker is not going into sleep mode after 60minutes, that would drain the battery. Connect an ammeter and check if it drops after 60 minutes.

Dipster.

Last edited by davedipster; 08 December 2004 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08 December 2004, 12:56 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gofasterstripes
this might sound silly but have u checked ur boot light sometimes they develop a fault in the boot switch and they stay on all night
Unplugged that during the problems with the original battery and it's been unplugged ever since!
JohnD
Old 10 December 2004, 09:13 AM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

I wonder if there is a problem with uneven drain could the earthing kit help?
JIM
Old 10 December 2004, 12:30 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

I've had a few battery issues since i retired the car to a play thing. If i was lucky i'd get to about day 5 and still be able to start the thing, any more than that and i had no choice but to use a doner starter. Feed up with that so i have now got a battery conditioner. Makes for easy starting now no matter how long i leave the car.

I'm using an Optimate III battery optimiser. Although it sudjest it's best suited for batteries from 2.5Ah to 32Ah capacity the Scoob being a 60Ah battery it works fine. When i first installed it it took a little while for the battery to come up to full charge. Beauty of this bit of kit it monitors the state of the battery every half hour. If the draw is excessive and unable to hold charge then the charger kicks in again for another top up. Any problems with the battery dueing the charging process and the thing will shut down safely. Peace of mind. So i now have Scooby ready when ever, with out having to jump start all the time.

Optimate III battery optimiser

Also worth consideration is........
Old 10 December 2004, 03:04 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Think I might treat myself to something like this.
Did you get them direct, or is there a store or motor factors that stock these or similar?
JohnD
Old 10 December 2004, 04:10 PM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
Think I might treat myself to something like this.
Did you get them direct, or is there a store or motor factors that stock these or similar?
JohnD
You can order over the phone from www.accumate.co.uk

It is a company called "Shadowfax". I ordered mine from there and the service was excellent.

PS: I would go for the Accumate (which I have) or Accumate Pro for a car battery. The Optimate is more for a bike. It does still work, but will be a bit slower to reach the float stage.

I can highly recommend it, it is an excellent piece of kit.
Old 10 December 2004, 10:50 PM
Rokay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ShyTot

PS: I would go for the Accumate (which I have) or Accumate Pro for a car battery. The Optimate is more for a bike. It does still work, but will be a bit slower to reach the float stage.

Yep, i would agree if you want a quick charge then leave the Optimate alone. However i've had no problems with mine so see no reason to change at the moment. Since i have put the Scoob under charge it's not let me down once. Great bit of kit.