Notices

Engine Temperature Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2004, 07:27 PM
WRX Youngster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine Temperature Problem

I have a subaru legacy with a small problem, i wonder if anyone can help. Its a 93 Turbo. The problem is that every so often, i notice that the temperature gauge starts rising, the heater starts to go cold. When i have a look at it, it has lost no water (well not a massive amount that can be noticed), the radiator is cold. I then have to take the top hose off, check that there is water in the radiator, i fill both the engine and radiator, bleed the system through. Check all is well and then, it seems to be ok for a few weeks then one day it will start to play around again.

Has anyone ever had this problem and is there anyone out there, that could give me some more ideas of what to try. It would be nice to get this sorted.

Thanks very much
Old 10 December 2004, 05:03 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

When you say the temp starts rising, do you mean past the normal temp ?

If your thermostat is stuck open, the car will not warm up in this weather. It may be that your water pump is knackered.

Cheers Red.
Old 10 December 2004, 05:40 PM
WRX Youngster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Red Rocket 11166
When you say the temp starts rising, do you mean past the normal temp ?

If your thermostat is stuck open, the car will not warm up in this weather. It may be that your water pump is knackered.

Cheers Red.

When the temperature is rising, i mean to the top of the gauge, normally it sits just below the centre line on the gauge.

I have already fitted a new thermostat to see if that had any effect and no, still the same. I thought water pump, but i have never hurt of one failing, has anyone else. To me it seems that it gets a massive airlock in there from somewhere, but where? That is the question.

Thanks
Old 10 December 2004, 10:51 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

Have you done any mods or had a service etc lately ? Thinking on the lines of a twisted hose.

If the motor has not been touched, i would make some enquiries about the water pump.

Red.