Notices

350BHP UK turbo, question to Andy.F or anyone else

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2004, 04:40 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350BHP UK turbo, question to Andy.F or anyone else

Have read many threads as I can see on the subject, but need some help advise to a relative novice.

I currently have a UK running a TD05, ECUTEK 3, full decat, with the usual knocklink, and AFR to keep and eye on things. All done and set up properly and mapped for my car, running a dyno proven 300 bhp on a warm day.

Looking to break the 300 bhp mark, and want 350bhp. What are where to go.?

I don't want a front mount, so would guess a uprated top mount, 550cc injectors and another re-map on the ECUTEK3. I have read somewhere about catch cans, uprated fuel rails to take 550cc. Any advise greatly received preferably from someone who has first hand experience.

Will the gearbox and standard clutch take it. I am not looking for a track or 1/4 mile car, purely an every day car. So it will only get some stick one in a while. Have seen some cars claiming 400bhp with standard internals and gearbox. So heopfully 350bhp is not that unrealistic on a UK.

Does anyone offer this upgrade as drive in an drive away ?. I am lazy and would prefer to give the car to someone to do it, set it up map and an dyno it. For me to then drive home with smile on ym face. If anyone can offer this upgrade please PM / email me with price.

If not anyone with second hand or new top uprated top mount, 550cc for sale, and other bits needed please PM mail.
Old 02 November 2004, 04:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider a new age STi top mount with a larger scoop.

550cc injectors not a bad idea, although some of them idle badly, although you can do it with 440s if you have a (non-FSE) FPR and Walbro fuel pump.

A K&N 57i would probably help the breating a bit at this level if you are still on a panel filter.

Exhaust manifold and uppipe are a good idea at this level to try to get more power for the same boost level. Gruppe-S work well and are cheap, but v.1 gave leak problems, v.2 are apparently better. They also need to be wrapped.

Then remapping of your existing ECU.

You will probably break the 5 speed gearbox, so budget for an upgrade to STi 5/6/P1 5 speed with the diffs sorted out to match, or a six speed (UK go straight in, JDM need diffs sorted again to match).

An AP or Lateral organic clutch should hold fine.

Even if it only gets stick once in a while, it needs to have the right bits on to be reliable.

You don't need to do anything with the fuel rail.

You can vent the breathers +/- breather filters, most find their catch tanks remain rather empty It does get some of the mist out of your intercooler.

I had 358 BHP out of my MY00 engine on a TD05 with a FMIC but OEM headers, but I ran octane booster. The standard clutch held, but the gearbox lost 3rd gear after a week of having the TD05 in.

Subsequently I switched to a 20G and did 406 BHP, the engine survived and is still to my knowledge going strong in another car, but this spec was quite laggy. I then switched to bigger engines which have been rather less reliable LOL.

Personally I would seriously question whether you really want that extra 50 BHP and more importantly the torque that goes with it, because it will mean a lot of component changes to get it reliable.... a 340 BHP classic has a slightly higher power to weight ratio as a 911 Turbo bear in mind.
Old 02 November 2004, 05:29 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

John,

Would a 57i be OK on an MY99/00 MAF. Or can the ECUTEK S/W now map around the MAF.

Rob already has uprated pump, but I think has an FSE Regulator. Is it the SX that is now the part to have ??
Old 02 November 2004, 05:33 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Thought I might be looking at things a bit simply. I do have walbro and pressure regulator and uprated panel filter already. And to be honest really like the drive of my car which is a good genuine 300bhp with not much lag considering the TD05. The lack of lag really suprised some the the guys at my local scooby meet. The car has been set up well and pulls strong low down and in very gear. Power graph is very progressive.

I am reluctant to **** this up, but have decided in my own mind if I cant get 50bhp its not worth doing. I have played with tunning cars for years and unless you can get 50bhp jumps, you won't notice the difference IMHO and even if you do, you will soon get used to it unless its 50bhp more.

I have a 1K budget ish, and don't want to do the work. So I might be struggling here if I want reliable performance. I Don't want heavy clutches and don't want to knacker or throw away a perfectly good 5sp box.

Has anyone taken the leap from 300bhp to 350BHP here on a UK classic. ?. If so did you really notice the difference or regret it?. This is an every day car and not a toy, so it needs to last and be driveable.
Old 02 November 2004, 05:57 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

judging by your post you onnly want more acceleration when i had my td05 on and it had a TEK3 ecu i added an AVCR boost controller and the difference in acceleration when this was setup correctly was amazing justa thought for you
Old 02 November 2004, 06:08 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
judging by your post you onnly want more acceleration when i had my td05 on and it had a TEK3 ecu i added an AVCR boost controller and the difference in acceleration when this was setup correctly was amazing justa thought for you
Good thought but what boost was you running. I am already running 1.5 bar more or less held. Can't see an AVCR doing much for me !.
Old 02 November 2004, 06:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i used to run 1.6 bar with mine but not with my tek3 ecu it was 1.3 bar but the avcr gave it much better 2nd and 3rd gear accell
Old 02 November 2004, 07:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Scott, the FSE isn't reliable above 5 bar absolute pressure. You need to run 4 bar static with a heavy breathing TD05, so given the boost level involved you'll be over 5 bar.

I think the 57i is OK with the 99/00 MAF. I changed to the revised MAF with the two green dots a few years back, and most of the time it has been run with an APS induction kit - now fitted with a bigger K&N filter - it has been perfect (except you have to map around it, but this does give around 500 BHP capability on the standard MAF).

RobEvo5, if you have only a £1000 budget, think about leaving it all alone IMHO. There are levels where to keep it reliable you have to do several things at once. This is where you are at IMHO.
Old 02 November 2004, 07:36 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

John - Thx for honest advice. Was undecided anyway, and you thought's have confirmed to me I am best leaving alone.

One other thought - I am not out to gain BHP for pub talk or to prove a point on a rolling road day. Just looking for a little extra for that once in a while scenario.

Had thought about NOZ on my current set up with say 50bhp jets. BAD IDEA?
1K would get me the kit and get it fitted by a pro, and possibly a re-map if needs be as well.
Old 02 November 2004, 07:37 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Steve 1.6bar is high, and I have found boost controllers are great if you want to set it to hold boost in 2nd and third high up the range. However my map has been done well and taken to extreme and holds 1.5 in 2nd and 3rd from 3K to redline. So little gain in my case. I have defi's and controller and have recorded it to confirm this to me.

Last edited by RobEvo5; 02 November 2004 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02 November 2004, 08:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Torque will kill the gearbox Rob. That is really what I am suggesting should hold you back.

You could consider trying to get more top end power with the same midrange torque - headers would do that, with map tweakage to suit. You would also be able to drop the boost a bit at the top from 1.5 bar I think and still make a gain.
Old 02 November 2004, 08:33 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

My RB5 runs 345+ on std internals, std 5 speed and clutch. Was specced by Nito so very similar configuration to his old wagon with GT2835 turbo, EVC5 and FMIC etc Boost was tailored so that torque hits peak of just over 300Ib/ft to keep clutch and gearbox safe (although 6speed will be going in when finances allow).

Car has been perfectly reliable (touch wood), used everyday and very easy to drive. If you want to know whether going from 300 to 350 is worth it - yes, there is nothing like a big turbo coming on boost (ask RB5286 on here who has driven my car).
Old 02 November 2004, 09:17 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Quite a few replies for you there Rob...as I said the gearbox is the weak link especially where torque is concerned. Yes it can be mapped to stick at the 300lb/ft mark but I know what I'd prefer out of BHP and Torque.

Nice to here positive result w.r.t the STi intercooler and larger scoop (see www.drmotorsport.co.uk)

Regarding Torque.... after tweeking with Keiths restrictor a week or so ago he made 282ft/lb of torque on a TEK2 (thats more then your TEK3) but only 255BHP. He's well happy though because although he only gained 10BHP he gained 40lb/ft of torque.

P.S there wil be quite a few guy's at the Brands Track-Day on Monday that may be able to give some constructve advise, including Xtreme Scoobies and RB5286. I'm already booked off for the day to go up, so let me know at the weekend if your coming along......

Last edited by Scott.T; 02 November 2004 at 09:20 PM.