Oil Pressure Warning Light

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2004, 07:43 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Warning Light

Hi

I've not driven MY02 WRX for about 5 days now, so its just been left in the drive. I got in it this evening to go an get some fuel and after i had been driving for about 10seconds i noticed the Oil Pressure Warning Light was still on, its was still on but the illumination was very dim, at 1st i thought it was my eyes, but no it was definatly on, the further i drove the dimmer the light got, then after about 3 -5 minutes i couldn't see it at all.

What does this mean, i cant actually check the oil level at the moment as its dark outside. The car is due for its 2year service soon, do you think i should mention it to them ?

What do you reckon the problem is, if any ? This has never happened before

Thanks
Old 19 October 2004, 10:18 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<<splutters into cup of tea!!!>>

Are you being serious?

On the good side, it may be that the wiring to the sensor or light has a short and the light has come on or....

On the bad side, the sensor is doing its job to tell you that you have no or very little oil and that you may not have given the bearings any lubrication during start up.
The gradual diming may be the little oil you have left has warmed up and bumped the pressure up to just above bare minimum.
The light normally comes on when your engine has or is about to expire imminently.

DO NOT DRIVE IT and check the oil pronto - Do I take it that you've never had to check or top up the oil since the last service?
Old 20 October 2004, 09:15 AM
FlatFourFun
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking that its a wiring problem, as my understanding is that the pressure switch is either on or off, so the light will follow. If its dim, it sounds like it could be an earthing problem
Old 20 October 2004, 03:49 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

I never physically checked the oil as it was dark last night, but i have bought 1L just incase its low when i check it tonight.

The last oil change was when it had a 7k service, which was about 5 months and 6000 miles ago.

I thought if the oil pressure was low, then the light would be on, but the fact that is dimmed out very slowly made me think it could be summat else.

if it is a wiring/earthing problem, how do i fix it ?
Old 20 October 2004, 04:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

oil pressure light would be on due to low oil pressure, if you drive the car the light will eventualy go off but the damage you might of done to engine might cost £££££ and im speaking from experience as i have done a similar thing before in a different vehicle and it cost me a new engine

mine was a blockage in the oil pump if you switch the engine on again and the oil light is on i would seriously refrain from driving the car, as you might be ok
Old 20 October 2004, 05:35 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
oil pressure light would be on due to low oil pressure, if you drive the car the light will eventualy go off but the damage you might of done to engine might cost £££££ and im speaking from experience as i have done a similar thing before in a different vehicle and it cost me a new engine

mine was a blockage in the oil pump if you switch the engine on again and the oil light is on i would seriously refrain from driving the car, as you might be ok
**** !!!! I only drove the car for 5miles max, and stayed around 40mph

I've checked the oil dip stick, the level was low ! so have topped it up with 1L Mobil 1 15/40.

I have checked my last service bill and they put Mobil 5/40 in, will the difference in oils make a differeence ?

Should i put more in, how much does it hold ?. Its going in for a service soon anyway.

Is it normal to lose this much oil, there is no oil stains on my drive .....so i dont think its leaking

THANKS...please advise...
Old 20 October 2004, 05:50 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

How low was it?

15/40 mixed into 5/40 is better than not enough 5/40 anyway.

The dim light is a bit weird, as noted it should be on or off.

The pressure light isn't there to alert you to low level though, it is low pressure. So the level could be fine, but the pressure low, and vice versa, until it gets really low and the pickup isn't sitting in oil which would be really bad news.

Did the engine rattle?

How much oil was required to restore normal level on the dipstick on a level surface?
Old 20 October 2004, 05:50 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Right, here is the lastest.

After topping up with 1L of Mobil 15/40 and leaving the car for a few minutes. I then checked the oil again, it appears to be at the right level, it fact to be honest i dont think it was far off anyway.

Ok so i put the key in the ignition, and turned so all thel dash lights came on, the battery etc.. The oil pressure lamp was brightly lit, infact all the dash lights were the same brightness.

I then turned again and started the engine, all the dash lights went out except the oil pressure lamp, BUT it was not as bright as it was oringally it was a lot dimmer !. I let the engine run for about 10secs, it didn't really sound any different.

SO.........what is going on ? do you lot think it may be the oil pump ? how can i prove it is/isnt' ? If it is, how much do these things cost. Am i still under warranty etc ?

Is the car ok to drive ?

I just dont know what to do .......
Old 20 October 2004, 05:58 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

if the oil pressure lihght is staying on id get the AA/rac to take the car to the dealers and get the car checked , and under no circumstances tell the dealers etc that you have driven the car with the oil light on as if it is bad they will use this against you, i drove 30 miles in my car and it ruined all my pistons.

if it turns out to be something sensible, id ratrher of wasted a couple of hundred getting it sorted than a couple of thousand on a new engine
Old 20 October 2004, 06:01 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

if the oil pressure lihght is staying on id get the AA/rac to take the car to the dealers and get the car checked , and under no circumstances tell the dealers etc that you have driven the car with the oil light on as if it is bad they will use this against you, i drove 30 miles in my car and it ruined all my pistons.

if it turns out to be something sensible, id ratrher of wasted a couple of hundred getting it sorted than a couple of thousand on a new engine
Yeah, but the oil pressue light goes out after a while, but yeah i take your point, best to err on the side of caution...

Damn look like i will have to join the AA now............
Old 20 October 2004, 06:05 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

the oil pressure light would go out on mine if i drove it, for about a mile or left it running for about 10 minutes but if your happy to drive it just do it

the reason for my failure was due to some small metal fragments in the oil blocking the oil pressure relief valve. as if you car has no oil pressure there is nothing pumping oil around the engine so it wont take long for your pistons to heat up and break up.

but if its ok
Old 20 October 2004, 06:11 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

the oil pressure light would go out on mine if i drove it, for about a mile or left it running for about 10 minutes but if your happy to drive it just do it

the reason for my failure was due to some small metal fragments in the oil blocking the oil pressure relief valve. as if you car has no oil pressure there is nothing pumping oil around the engine so it wont take long for your pistons to heat up and break up.

but if its ok
Cheers, think i'll give driving it a miss, and get it down to the dealership, they can give it a service at the same time :-)

It just seems to be one thing after another, i just hope it aint too serious and doesn't cost megabucks to sort out....

Just gotta sort the AA Home Start thing out now...
Old 20 October 2004, 06:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

easiest thing to ease your mind would be if you could fit an oil pressure gauge to it before you next start up then you would know if it was serious or not, see if you can borrow a PSI monitor from someone as im sure this does oil pressure for your year car
Old 20 October 2004, 06:21 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

easiest thing to ease your mind would be if you could fit an oil pressure gauge to it before you next start up then you would know if it was serious or not, see if you can borrow a PSI monitor from someone as im sure this does oil pressure for your year car

hmm i know Jack all about engines/cars etc, so i think i will give the PSI monitor a miss...heh heh heh dont want to make things any worse than what they are already. I dont know anyone with one anyway.

I think the best thing to do, as you suggested is get the AA man to take it to Subarue and let them have a look......'spose i best get the credit card out now, £126 to join the AA, obviously i need home start !!....

I knew i should have bought a Capri
Old 20 October 2004, 06:38 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

if your not in the AA i would nt pay £126 just for this, ring the dealers up in the morning and ask there advice but dont say you have driven it hopefully itll be something silly . but i wouldnt take any chances with oil pressure . its cost me 2 engines in the past, the 1st time the dealers told me to leave it with them but i thought they were taking the pi55 and all i thought was its going to cost me a fortune. aparently they werent and it did cost me a fortune
Old 20 October 2004, 06:42 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

if your not in the AA i would nt pay £126 just for this, ring the dealers up in the morning and ask there advice but dont say you have driven it hopefully itll be something silly . but i wouldnt take any chances with oil pressure . its cost me 2 engines in the past, the 1st time the dealers told me to leave it with them but i thought they were taking the pi55 and all i thought was its going to cost me a fortune. aparently they werent and it did cost me a fortune

Do you think this sort of thing will be covered by warranty ?...probably not, knowing my luck
Old 20 October 2004, 06:48 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Do you think this sort of thing will be covered by warranty ?...probably not, knowing my luck
not if you tell them you have driven it. im sure if you dont the warranty will cover this
Old 20 October 2004, 08:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

There should be no warranty issues if you have service history, the oil level is correct, and you report the problem straight away.

I am a bit suspicious it could be a wiring fault, but assumption is the mother of all...
Old 20 October 2004, 08:33 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
There should be no warranty issues if you have service history, the oil level is correct, and you report the problem straight away.

I am a bit suspicious it could be a wiring fault, but assumption is the mother of all...
I have just spoken to one of my mates (he knows more about cars than me), he reckons it could be a wiring fault as well, but i dont want to risk it.

With regards the service history...to cut a long story short, i wont bore you with the details, but basically the 10,000 mile service was not done by Subara !...will this be and issue ?...i hope not...
Old 20 October 2004, 08:40 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by molko
Just gotta sort the AA Home Start thing out now...
02 car - did you not get 3 year Subaru Assist from new?
Old 20 October 2004, 08:41 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Question

Last edited by Trashman; 20 October 2004 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Double posting
Old 20 October 2004, 08:55 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trashman
02 car - did you not get 3 year Subaru Assist from new?
Not sure, i'll have to speak to Subaru tomorrow.
Old 23 October 2004, 01:51 PM
molko
Scooby Regular

Called Subaru Assist, on thursay morning, seems i am covered !! The car taked to the main Dealer in Preston, and was diagnosed as having a faulty oil pressure switch. In the meantime i haf a courtesy hire car for 48 hours.

Anyway i got the car back from the dealers today, they have not had chance to fit the new switch, but as they car is safe to drive (so they say), i took my car back. The switch will be fiixed/fitted on Friday when the car is also gonna get a 2year service at the same time.

Thanks for all the help/advice guys, it was much apreciated.

PS How much can i expect to pay for a 2y/20,000 mile service ?

oh and do you think the oil pressure switch will be covered under the warranty ?

thanks
Old 23 October 2004, 01:57 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

pleased it was only simple, wish that was all it was when it went on mine