Notices

MY99 PPP

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2004, 09:12 PM
BigFastandClever
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 PPP

I have an RB5 which has been fitted with a Magnex decat exhaust centre section. What effect does removing one of the cats have on the ecu? As I'm experiencing a slight 'back and forth' hesitation which is more noticable when cold.
Old 06 October 2004, 10:18 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Hi the MY99/00 ppp cars were fitted with one cat only this being in the down pipe. The PPP centre section has a resonator and no cat. I think the problem you are experiencing is related to something else.
Old 06 October 2004, 10:21 PM
BigFastandClever
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NelsonUK
Hi the MY99/00 ppp cars were fitted with one cat only this being in the down pipe. The PPP centre section has a resonator and no cat. I think the problem you are experiencing is related to something else.
Thanks Nelson. Going to have the car diagnosed at Prosport in Stockport very soon.
Old 06 October 2004, 10:23 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

No ***** mate - if you do a search on here for 'hesitation' you will find plenty of bed time reading but I'm sure prosport will be able to help you
Old 06 October 2004, 10:42 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigFastandClever
I have an RB5 which has been fitted with a Magnex decat exhaust centre section. What effect does removing one of the cats have on the ecu? As I'm experiencing a slight 'back and forth' hesitation which is more noticable when cold.
Hi did you try re-setting the ecu, after the centre pipe change.
Old 18 October 2004, 08:25 PM
BigFastandClever
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Eprom
Hi did you try re-setting the ecu, after the centre pipe change.
The centre pipe was changed last Jan before I bought the car. How do I reset the ECU?

Dan.
Old 19 October 2004, 02:12 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by BigFastandClever
The centre pipe was changed last Jan before I bought the car. How do I reset the ECU?

Dan.
Hi Dan Did Pro-sport not sort the problem? They are a good setup.
Not sure i now follow your thread, have you just fitted the PPP ecu or was this fitted when the centre section of the exhaust was fitted.

The PPP for the MY99 came with resonated centre instead of centre cat.
intercooler hoses x 3 and 1 x PPP ECU.

To reset the ecu look under the dashboard driver's side, there will be lots of wires but look carefully and you will find 2 x black conectors and 2 x green conectors coming out of a wiring loom taped to the steering coloumb.

Connect the black connectores together first and turn ignition on but DO NOT start engine. CEL light (engine) on dash board should blink at steady intervals, if the intervals vary, there is a system fault and this should be investigated first.

If all is O.K. switch ignition off and connect the two green conectors together as well, switch ignition back on but DO NOT start engine, CEL light on dash board (engine) should light up and stay on.
Press the acelorator pedal to the floor and hold it there for a few seconds, now bring the pedal up to half way and hold it there for a few seconds and then release.
Once you have performed this start the engine and take the car for a gentle drive don't thrash it and don't let it labour. The engine light should then start to flash after a few minutes, this indicates that the ECU has been re-set, to factory defaults.

Stop the car and turn off the ignition
Disconnect the black and green conecters and thats you finished.
The car's ECU over the next couple days will now learn the fine settings that is required.

Trending Topics

Old 19 October 2004, 07:24 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

My RB5 has the same set up as you with a straight through Magnex centre. The pulsing when cold is a known event and I believe is when the Lamda is not up to temp. I suspect that either your MAF or Lamda need replaced if you are experiencing this problem when warm. More likely the Lambda in fact. If they have not been replaced since the car was new then they are probably gubbed. Just replaced both on mine at 49000miles and 5 1/2 years as MAF no good as shown on emissions test and Lamda no good as shown by occasional CEL. I trust that you are using Optimax or Superplus as i would expect the symptoms to be worse on unleaded.The PPP ECU MY99 is designed for such.