Notices

Water Injection Install advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2004, 04:42 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Injection Install advice?

Have any of you chaps got a water injection system currently installed in your Imprezas/Legacies?

I’ve just got my kit and can’t wait to install it to see what knock improvements it makes but I’m after some suggestions on the positioning of the injector nozzle if anyone can help.

The instructions are straightforward and It’s a very easy setup to wire & plumb in, but I’m not sure what the best way of installing the injector will be.

It needs to go between the intercooler and the inlet manifold really, and the injector has a threaded body so you drill & tap a hole into the manifold or perhaps throttle body even.

Thing is I don’t really fancy sabotaging such important chunks of metal and I would much rather install it into the short rubber hose between the intercooler & throttle body.

My question really is what would be the best method of securing this injector into this piece of rubber pipe so that it remains a tight, pressureproof seal, and doesn’t for instance pop out when under boost.

Hope this makes sense and that someone might have a tried & tested method of installing these things relatively easily!

Cheers. J

Old 01 July 2004, 06:10 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Why not mount it in the intercooler just before the pipe?
Old 01 July 2004, 07:15 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
Why not mount it in the intercooler just before the pipe?
Do you mean the outlet pipe of the intercooler?

I suppose I could try that but there's so little room to spare there really. I'd be a bit worried that if I tapped it in there the pipe wouldn't be able to go back on tight enough.

Will have a better look though and see if that's do-able.

There must be some scoob owners on here who use water injection though surely?
Old 01 July 2004, 07:19 PM
Dave.K
Scooby Regular

Hi Jim,

Why dont you mount it on the pipe exiting the charge cooler and trim or move the samco pipe forward a bit.

As this is only alloy should make for an easy drill and tap, but supose that depends on the size of the injector.

As in this pic

Typical thats timing for ya hey.
Old 01 July 2004, 09:46 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

you cant mount it in the hose as itll not get a proper fixing i have an aquamist system on my car due to pulling if off my cav turbo, and they trashed a hose to fit a metal pipe as that is what is needed to fit the injector, ive just paid out for a custom TMIC and i had to drill that to accomodate the injector but the safety outways the minor hole
Old 01 July 2004, 11:23 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
you cant mount it in the hose as itll not get a proper fixing i have an aquamist system on my car due to pulling if off my cav turbo, and they trashed a hose to fit a metal pipe as that is what is needed to fit the injector, ive just paid out for a custom TMIC and i had to drill that to accomodate the injector but the safety outways the minor hole
Cheers Dave for the pic, and cheers Steve for the tip. Don't suppose you have any pics of how yours is? Does your system seem to do the job well?

I was a touch dubious about the quality of this kit with it being quite a bit cheaper than an aquamist one but I hooked it up just to see the water spraying tonight and it does indeed produce a really fine mist in a very wide angle so I think it should do the job rather nicely.

My mate had the idea tonight for getting a piece made with a curve piece and a tube so the curved plate goes inside the rubber pipe and has a rubber washer or o-ring inside to seal, and the metal tube attached will come out through the pipe so the injector can screw into it.
The injector for this is a lot chunkier than an aquamist one so getting it in the pipe as per your picture Dave might be a bit of a problem spacewise, but worth a closer look definately!
Old 01 July 2004, 11:28 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cret
Cheers Dave for the pic, and cheers Steve for the tip. Don't suppose you have any pics of how yours is? Does your system seem to do the job well?

I was a touch dubious about the quality of this kit with it being quite a bit cheaper than an aquamist one but I hooked it up just to see the water spraying tonight and it does indeed produce a really fine mist in a very wide angle so I think it should do the job rather nicely.

My mate had the idea tonight for getting a piece made with a curve piece and a tube so the curved plate goes inside the rubber pipe and has a rubber washer or o-ring inside to seal, and the metal tube attached will come out through the pipe so the injector can screw into it.
The injector for this is a lot chunkier than an aquamist one so getting it in the pipe as per your picture Dave might be a bit of a problem spacewise, but worth a closer look definately!

although this might work : it sounds dodgy as, and far out ways any benefits what the injection system might have, one burst hose and you have lost your water injection as well
Old 02 July 2004, 12:27 AM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
although this might work : it sounds dodgy as, and far out ways any benefits what the injection system might have, one burst hose and you have lost your water injection as well
All it's really doing is turning the pipe into a T piece so I can't really see why it would be so iffy if it's well done & well sealed really. Teh worst that can surely happen is that it leaks & you lose boost pressure until you stick a different hose section on?

Going to take it to my mate's mate who's an engineer & see what he recommends anyway I think....
Old 02 July 2004, 12:38 AM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

I did originally have my injector nozzle fitted to the underside of the TMIC directly in line with the Outlet to throttle body but now have FMIC so I tapped a hole in the throttle body - behind the butterfly

Cheers
Old 02 July 2004, 12:26 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Alternatively, you can pick up inlet manifolds from a scrapper for about £100 - £150? Why not simply mount it in the inlet manifold???
Old 02 July 2004, 12:35 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

I didn't really think there'd be room on the throttle body but I've got a spare one and a spare inlet manifold so I can have a bit of a meddle.

They'd be best but I was trying to avoid the aggro of removing the inlet manifold.

Not sure how long it takes to remove & replace but after doing two recent engine transplants I'm sure I can probably swap an inlet manifold over in an afternoon......
Old 02 July 2004, 12:49 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

mine

from the side

I would have mounted it underneath, but the bottom of the ic is not horizontal. This does touch the bottom of the scoop but I have a piece of copper shrouding to put on should the hose kink.

Dave
Old 02 July 2004, 01:01 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Jim inlet off and on again with lots of fiddling underneath took me 2 hours still half pissed

Water injection on the Project Heazille is directly into the front mount pipework from the inlet if that is any good to you
Old 02 July 2004, 01:43 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the pics RB5

Jon - isn't that too far away from the inlet to be much use? Surely by the time it gets there from the front mount the mist will be more like drops of water?

I'm going to Mrs D's tonight after looking at a GSXR750 for sale so I might bring my old inlet manifold & throttle body home with a selection of drill bits & taps, then sit down with a bottle of bourbon & see what happens.....
Old 02 July 2004, 06:59 PM
RichieD
Scooby Regular

Hmm..
Wouldn't one of these http://www.j-w-racing.co.uk/acatalog/subhoses.html throttle hoses do the job?
Old 03 July 2004, 01:04 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichieD
Hmm..
Wouldn't one of these http://www.j-w-racing.co.uk/acatalog/subhoses.html throttle hoses do the job?
Do you mean this one?
http://www.j-w-racing.co.uk/acatalog/throttlehose.gif

Dagnamit you might have just solved the problem!

Last edited by Cret; 03 July 2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03 July 2004, 02:36 PM
RichieD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Cret
Do you mean this one?
http://www.j-w-racing.co.uk/acatalog/throttlehose.gif

Dagnamit you might have just solved the problem!
Yup.... thats what I meant!
Old 03 July 2004, 02:39 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Top notch!

Problem is now I've thought of temperature sensors I want a pipe with two side bits so I can add injector AND intake temperature monitor! Doh!
Old 04 July 2004, 02:14 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

It looks to me like the offsticker is too long and would interfere with the spray pattern.

Also you can get ait sensors in the form of a long thin thermocouple which can be pushed under the jubilee clip and under the rubber at the intercooler exit, really though it would probably be better to measure temp after the water injection so you can see the difference it makes.

Dave
Old 04 July 2004, 10:29 PM
Cret
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
It looks to me like the offsticker is too long and would interfere with the spray pattern.

Also you can get ait sensors in the form of a long thin thermocouple which can be pushed under the jubilee clip and under the rubber at the intercooler exit, really though it would probably be better to measure temp after the water injection so you can see the difference it makes.

Dave
Does indeed look a touch long but that can be cut easily enough the the injector held in place by jubilee clip.

Thermocouple idea sounds good. I agree that it'd be nice to know the difference the WI makes temp wise but I'm planning on doing some meddling with the intercooler with a higher spec pump and bigger rad for it etc so it'd be useful to see how much difference that kind of thing makes.
Old 05 July 2004, 01:57 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Well, the price of thermocouples is fairly low.....why not fit several (one pre-turbo, one post-turbo/pre-intercooler, one post-intercooler and one post water injection. Then you can just connect them as and when you need them? Or alternatively wire them all back to a couple of readouts, and patch them as you need them?