EU Import service intervals & other questions

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2004, 02:07 PM
tikka69
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EU Import service intervals & other questions

Hi Everyone,

Just picked up my new 04 WRX last week, well impressed with it up to now. Migrated from an MR2 Roadster but this is in a different league.

My first question is, are the service intervals the same for the EU cars as the UK spec cars. I am still waiting for my service book to come through and wondered when the first will be ?

Does anyone know the nearest dealer to the Doncaster area to get it done ?

Second, do I have to do anything regarding the Warranty on this car. The company I bought it from said it will be registered, but I am sure I have read on here before you had to contact someone called IM ?

Lastly, is it worth me keeping running this car on Shell Optimax. Only filled up a couple of times up to now but read on here how much people swear by it so for a couple of quid extra, I have done up to now.

What sort of economy can I expect to get ? Whats the best way to work it out ?

Sorry for all the questions,

thanks in advance.

Tikka_69
Old 18 June 2004, 02:41 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

UK Service Interval is 10K Miles. EU is now 15K Km. - Equates to about 9.5K miles.

Service book actually does 9K miles then 10K i.e. 9,19,28,38.

Deano
Old 18 June 2004, 02:56 PM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

....and yes, your car will respond well to long term use of Optimax. Other 97 RON fuels are also OK (although BP Ultimate seems to light up my knocklink) - but generally avoid 95 RON entirely if you can help it.....

DaveR
Old 18 June 2004, 03:27 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

tikka69, are you covered by a 3 year uk subaru warranty with this car ?
As i looked into getting an import ( from mortorpoint ) but wasnt sure if the warranty would be valid.
Would be good if you can let me know, also did you get Cat-1 alarm and usual UK spec on your import ?
Old 18 June 2004, 08:16 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

The service intervals are in the manual, they are 1k, 10k, 20k, 30k etc.

The first time you get it serviced at a dealer (1k) you can ask them to register it with IM.

Yes run it on Optimax, the extra MPG is worth the extra cost.

You should get about 22MPG average, maybe up to 30MPG on motorway cruises.
Old 18 June 2004, 08:17 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

So long as its an EU car (not cyprus) you get a 3 year Warranty. Its actually backed by the distributor in the country the car is bought - but there is no problem with UK dealers doing warranty work. They claim it back from the Dutch/Belgian etc distributor the same way they claim warranty calims on uk cars from IM (Subaru UK)

Deano
Old 18 June 2004, 08:46 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but, as Garycat says, if you don't " register " it with IM yourself, you'll have an extended wait to get any warranty work done, while your dealer checks back through the process with the supplying dealer in the country of origin....found out the hard way. No real probs owning an EU import, but this aspect can be an irritation. Also, I was required to pay the labour charges on a gearbox repair on my 40k mile MY00, when it was less than 3 years old...don't think this would have been the case, had the original owner registered it as suggested. Ring IM, and get written confirmation, if you're concerned....don't be surprised if they come across as disinterested to55ers though...this is normal.
Old 21 June 2004, 12:48 PM
tikka69
Scooby Newbie

Thanks everyone for the advice. So as I understand it I need it checked at 1000 miles ( I assume this is a minor check over ? ), and then 10k miles.

Still not got the service book through yet, but it should be with me any day now.

To Mgg, yes I understand that the car comes with the 3 year pan european warranty.

Regarding the IM bit, am I right in thinking I can ask the dealer to register it
for me when I have the 1k service done ?

Many Thanks

Tikka_69
Old 21 June 2004, 02:00 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

The 1k service is a change of oil & filter, the car is supplied with a thin mineral oil for running in but it needs to be replaced with a quality synthetic after 1000 miles.

Yes - ask the dealer about registering with IM.
Old 21 June 2004, 03:12 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

No mention is actually made of the 1K service in an EU service booklet (unless you have a justy).

Most have it done anyway though.

Deano
Old 21 June 2004, 11:01 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dsmith
No mention is actually made of the 1K service in an EU service booklet (unless you have a justy).

Most have it done anyway though.

Deano

Well it is in mine, Malta import(now in EU), states 1000 miles(1600km), then every 7.500 mile intervals or 6 months. Never had warranty issues, so cannot comment. But from what i have been told as its pan european warranty, its the country of origin(as stated above) your dealer needs to go through to sanction work.

Paul
Old 22 June 2004, 12:54 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

The 1000k isn't in my warranty book (Imported form Holland), but I had it done anyway just to be sure IM/Dealer couldn't later say that it had missed a UK service. Also main services after that are at 15,000K intervals (10,000 miles).

I asked a similar question on here a couple of months ago and somebody said that it was only the UK cars that had the running in oil in them, the ones sent to the rest of the EU don't need the 1000K.

Have it done though.
Old 23 June 2004, 07:48 PM
tikka69
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by keevster
Well it is in mine, Malta import(now in EU), states 1000 miles(1600km), then every 7.500 mile intervals or 6 months. Never had warranty issues, so cannot comment. But from what i have been told as its pan european warranty, its the country of origin(as stated above) your dealer needs to go through to sanction work.

Paul
Keevster, mine is from Malta too, but not got the service book through yet.
So yours is 1000 miles and then 7500 miles, and every 7.5 after that ?

The place i bought the car from said they thought it was 1k and then 3k ?
Old 23 June 2004, 10:55 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Thats right mate, exactly what it says in the service book. The service books has subaru Liaco(malta) on the front page, so its the original Maltese service book. And to be fairly honest, from some peeps i have spoken too, they think that the 10.000 miles service on UK scoobs is too long. Which i personally agree with. these cars, most of them are thrashed on a regular basis, and i think 10000 mile oil changes are just to long for an engine of this nature. Look at the EVOs every 4500 service intervals, they must be doing it for a reason?.

It costs a little more obviously with these shorter services, but personally i think its worth it, will only do your engine good. At the end of the day its the same spec car, and most consecious owners with UK models will do an extra oil change a long the line.

As i said, i've had no worries yet, hope not to have. out of interest where did you buy your car. and did you get the European certificate of conformity along with the 3 year pan european warranty.

Paul
Old 27 June 2004, 05:50 PM
tikka69
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by keevster
Thats right mate, exactly what it says in the service book. The service books has subaru Liaco(malta) on the front page, so its the original Maltese service book. And to be fairly honest, from some peeps i have spoken too, they think that the 10.000 miles service on UK scoobs is too long. Which i personally agree with. these cars, most of them are thrashed on a regular basis, and i think 10000 mile oil changes are just to long for an engine of this nature. Look at the EVOs every 4500 service intervals, they must be doing it for a reason?.

It costs a little more obviously with these shorter services, but personally i think its worth it, will only do your engine good. At the end of the day its the same spec car, and most consecious owners with UK models will do an extra oil change a long the line.

As i said, i've had no worries yet, hope not to have. out of interest where did you buy your car. and did you get the European certificate of conformity along with the 3 year pan european warranty.

Paul
Hi Keevster

The car was bought from Alliance Car Imports in Manchester. Great company and got my MR2 roadster from them before this.

Checking through the docs I have, yes I do have a EC certificate of conformity with it. And Alliance have assured me that the car has a 3 year Pan warranty.

Still waiting for the service book / warranty stuff to come as it is coming direct from the dealer in Malta. Hopefully should be here some time next week I am told, on about 700 miles at the minute, so got a week or two before service required.

I have also spoken to someone at IM Subaru last week about registering the car with themaswell. I was surprised to find the guy was extremely helpful. He just said he would need a copy of thje invoice from the original dealer to Alliance ( which Alliance are providing ), and thats it with a covering letter.

He also said I would just have to follow the service intervals in the book that I got. Sounds fairly easy to me, was thinking it could have been a bit of a nightmare.

Cheers

Tikka_69
Old 28 June 2004, 01:46 AM
keevster
Scooby Regular

Thats right should not be a problem now that malta are in the EU. enjoy, i am sure everything will work its self out. How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking.

Paul
Old 01 July 2004, 08:41 AM
tikka69
Scooby Newbie

Hi Keevster,

I paid 16995 for the car from Alliance. Best thing is checked there website a week later and its now 16495 ! Oh well.

Just got service book through too from the dealer in Malta, called Liaco. Is this were yours is from ?

Could not believe the intervals, check this out :

1000 miles
3000 miles
9000 miles
14000 miles

Then EVERY 5000 MILES !!! I think some are just oil changes but seems like its on par with the EVO's service intervals !

Jesus, I would have been better off getting a UK car with free servicing

Is yours only 7500 miles after the inital ones in your book ?

Cheers

Tikka_69