Notices

What exactly is involved by having a on-road remap

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2004, 02:20 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly is involved by having a on-road remap

Hi there,

Am very tempted by the recent group buy of the custom remap with Bob.

However I have heard various stories from people that slightly put me off having it done. (high speed driving, watch out for police etc etc)

Can someone clearly and consisely tell me the procedure with a Bob Rawle remap session.

Not just a 'trip to Swindon',-- 'fit 3 port boost solenoid' -- 'blast down dual carriageway', all done.

Many thanks,

Mark.
Old 24 May 2004, 06:42 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's quite an involved process with driving at various levels of boost (and off boost) and is a team thing between Bob and (probably) Branko with lap top, det cans etc.
I'm not prepared to comment on speeds attained on this public forum, and would suggest no-one else does either?
You cannot get a properly (and safe) mapped ECU without this procedure. A rolling road is not quite real world.
Be assured, Bob knows what he's doing and would not put you or your car at any risk beyond what is strictly required.
JohnD
Old 24 May 2004, 07:33 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Originally Posted by JohnD
It's quite an involved process with driving at various levels of boost (and off boost) and is a team thing between Bob and (probably) Branko with lap top, det cans etc.
I'm not prepared to comment on speeds attained on this public forum, and would suggest no-one else does either?
You cannot get a properly (and safe) mapped ECU without this procedure. A rolling road is not quite real world.
Be assured, Bob knows what he's doing and would not put you or your car at any risk beyond what is strictly required.
JohnD

I 2nd this reply, your car will be in safe hands with Bob and Branko.

simb
Old 24 May 2004, 07:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

mapping your car usually involves redlining the car thru the gears for an hour or two,dont know if you drive the car with bob mapping it but ive had my car mapped a few times and its nearly always me driving it except when i went to TSL where they did all the driving
Old 26 May 2004, 11:06 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

No problems when I had it done either - much as above
If you're going for a remap, the only way to do it is on the road - RR sessions were popular at one point, and manage to blow a shocking number of engines - in short, the road finds parts of the map RRs cannot reach .
Old 26 May 2004, 12:34 PM
Andy Hobson
Scooby Regular

I was considering going the TD05FE route but the thing that put me off about on-road remaps was the alleged speeds necessary to access all the map areas. I've spoken to a couple of people who had to do some insane speeds, although these were with a different tuning outfit. I don't know if this is avoidable but I'd be gutted to have a newly modded 340 bhp monster and no licence !

Andy.

Last edited by Andy Hobson; 26 May 2004 at 12:48 PM.
Old 26 May 2004, 02:16 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Most areas of the map are accessable from non-insane speeds. Loading the car up with people is a good start! A hill can be used to great advantage... the only time, IMHO, where driving the car at nutter speeds is if the car is going to be used in this situation; e.g. if you happen to drive to work on a derestricted part of the autobahn & hence are doing a daily 140mph, it's important to map the car for sustained running at this sort of speed - the amount of heat produced being the critical element here. The rest of us, even on track, if we were to get up to 140+ it would be for a very brief period & hence have very different requirements.
Insane speeds are probably because the outfits doing the mapping are basically enjoying themselves at the customer's expense. There's no such playing about with Bob's sessions.
Old 26 May 2004, 03:39 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

thanks guys

I really appreciate your open comments - thanks.
Old 26 May 2004, 05:12 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFAIK Bob also maps at Bruntingthorpe airfield

Not at a set price but an hourly rate I think.

Midlife.....