ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What exactly is involved by having a on-road remap (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/330337-what-exactly-is-involved-by-having-a-on-road-remap.html)

marklemac 24 May 2004 02:20 PM

What exactly is involved by having a on-road remap

Hi there,

Am very tempted by the recent group buy of the custom remap with Bob.

However I have heard various stories from people that slightly put me off having it done. (high speed driving, watch out for police etc etc)

Can someone clearly and consisely tell me the procedure with a Bob Rawle remap session.

Not just a 'trip to Swindon',-- 'fit 3 port boost solenoid' -- 'blast down dual carriageway', all done.

Many thanks,

Mark.

JohnD 24 May 2004 06:42 PM

It's quite an involved process with driving at various levels of boost (and off boost) and is a team thing between Bob and (probably) Branko with lap top, det cans etc.
I'm not prepared to comment on speeds attained on this public forum, and would suggest no-one else does either?
You cannot get a properly (and safe) mapped ECU without this procedure. A rolling road is not quite real world.
Be assured, Bob knows what he's doing and would not put you or your car at any risk beyond what is strictly required.
JohnD

simb 2 24 May 2004 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by JohnD
It's quite an involved process with driving at various levels of boost (and off boost) and is a team thing between Bob and (probably) Branko with lap top, det cans etc.
I'm not prepared to comment on speeds attained on this public forum, and would suggest no-one else does either?
You cannot get a properly (and safe) mapped ECU without this procedure. A rolling road is not quite real world.
Be assured, Bob knows what he's doing and would not put you or your car at any risk beyond what is strictly required.
JohnD

I 2nd this reply, your car will be in safe hands with Bob and Branko.

simb

stevebt 24 May 2004 07:44 PM

mapping your car usually involves redlining the car thru the gears for an hour or two,dont know if you drive the car with bob mapping it but ive had my car mapped a few times and its nearly always me driving it except when i went to TSL where they did all the driving

25 May 2004 11:45 PM

Mark.. Here's a brief rundown of my re-map with Bob earlier this year. :)

I got there early and bob was ready for me so no probs there. Had a chat about Subaru's and after 10 seconds I realised that Bob knew more than me by a factor of a million but still took time to explain things :). He changed the Boost solenoid and renewed the pipes, advised me about the fuel pipes to the new FSE reg, Altered the Reg to suit the pump and the injectors:)

Then Bob attached a boost gauge, jacked up the car and fitted a wide band Lambda taking care to make sure they went into the car without damaging the car (I'm a tart). Then the electrics / laptop / wires / went in which had me hopelessly lost

Bob went back and checked the boost, lambda and electrics ( now it was like being a jet fighter pilot checking things again).

Then Bob explained what he was doing in terms of fuelling, ignition, boost etc while we drove around up and down a dual carriageway. Nothing dangerous from a driving point of view as the road is pretty straight but takes a lot of concentration driving at certain boost level. Biggest problem from a danger point of view is turning aroung at the roundabouts as the markings are not great !!

It takes quite a while, most of it in a layby while Bob downloads the refined Map.

There is no "redlining it at outrageous speeds" as Bob maps for safety and drivability :)

I have to say that for a short time Bob has to check the Map at the top end of the envelope !!

Just sit back and enjoy the day, Bob's undoubted knowledge and the endresult !!

Does this help ??

Midlife

nom 26 May 2004 11:06 AM

No problems when I had it done either - much as above :)
If you're going for a remap, the only way to do it is on the road - RR sessions were popular at one point, and manage to blow a shocking number of engines - in short, the road finds parts of the map RRs cannot reach ;).

Andy Hobson 26 May 2004 12:34 PM

I was considering going the TD05FE route but the thing that put me off about on-road remaps was the alleged speeds necessary to access all the map areas. I've spoken to a couple of people who had to do some insane speeds, although these were with a different tuning outfit. I don't know if this is avoidable but I'd be gutted to have a newly modded 340 bhp monster and no licence !

Andy.

nom 26 May 2004 02:16 PM

Most areas of the map are accessable from non-insane speeds. Loading the car up with people is a good start! A hill can be used to great advantage... the only time, IMHO, where driving the car at nutter speeds is if the car is going to be used in this situation; e.g. if you happen to drive to work on a derestricted part of the autobahn & hence are doing a daily 140mph, it's important to map the car for sustained running at this sort of speed - the amount of heat produced being the critical element here. The rest of us, even on track, if we were to get up to 140+ it would be for a very brief period & hence have very different requirements.
Insane speeds are probably because the outfits doing the mapping are basically enjoying themselves at the customer's expense. There's no such playing about with Bob's sessions.

marklemac 26 May 2004 03:39 PM

thanks guys :)

I really appreciate your open comments - thanks.

Midlife...... 26 May 2004 05:12 PM

AFAIK Bob also maps at Bruntingthorpe airfield :D

Not at a set price but an hourly rate I think.

Midlife.....