Notices

Fuel pump location in a wagon

Search this Thread

Old 15 May 2004, 05:07 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Walbro fuel pump install

Installing an uprated fuel pump and I've since found a good thread for installation in a US saloon but does any one know where the exact location is for a sti wagon?

Last edited by mark*b; 15 May 2004 at 08:27 PM.
Old 15 May 2004, 06:04 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

exactly the same.............................
Old 15 May 2004, 07:18 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

OK, it's just under the carpet on the right hand side, took about 5 secs to find. But now I've come across a different problem.

The pump I have is a FSE ITP160. The electrical connecter is a plug but the original one has 2 wires both screw-attached to a - and + terminal on the pump. It's also about 1/3 the size of the original one. I'm assuming that I have the right FSE pump sent to me but do I have to start stripping and joining wires to fit the new one on?

I've read other threads about removing the 2 wires that go to a resistor to convert the 12V supply to a 9V. The original pump has 12V printed on it. Do I still need to bypass the resistor?
Old 15 May 2004, 10:14 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mark*b
OK, it's just under the carpet on the right hand side, took about 5 secs to find. But now I've come across a different problem.

The pump I have is a FSE ITP160. The electrical connecter is a plug but the original one has 2 wires both screw-attached to a - and + terminal on the pump. It's also about 1/3 the size of the original one. I'm assuming that I have the right FSE pump sent to me but do I have to start stripping and joining wires to fit the new one on?

I've read other threads about removing the 2 wires that go to a resistor to convert the 12V supply to a 9V. The original pump has 12V printed on it. Do I still need to bypass the resistor?
Dunno about this particular fuel pump, but the Walbro 255l/min pump I got off a group buy on here ( Hi Alyn! ) fitted fine, but DID need the wires cutting and reconnecting from the loom/old pump ( I forget which ). I used spade connectors ( no rubber covers! ).

I was a bit concerned since the pump sits IN the petrol, but been fine for over a year.

Neil
Old 15 May 2004, 10:41 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Dunno about this particular fuel pump, but the Walbro 255l/min pump I got off a group buy on here ( Hi Al5{ but DID need the wires cutting and reconnecting from the loom/old pump ( I forget which ). I used spade connectors ( no rubber covers! ).

I was a bit concerned since the pump sits IN the petrol, but been fine for over a year.

Neil
Thank you. Did you notice if your OEM one was larger than the Walbro? Which is the case with mine. Seems weird that a smaller size unit will pump more than a bigger one. I have an STi V (not sure if that has a larger OEM pump than a WRX).

Anyway, did you still keep the wires on that go to the resistor?
Old 16 May 2004, 10:16 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

you need to remove the resistor (fastened on the upright of the bracket, behind the pump) completely from the circuit and replace the original connector with the new one supplied in the box................................
the size of pump is not the issue, ite the "flow rate" that counts..................
hope this is of help,
alyn - asperformance.com
Old 16 May 2004, 10:30 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by stockcar
you need to remove the resistor (fastened on the upright of the bracket, behind the pump) completely from the circuit and replace the original connector with the new one supplied in the box................................
the size of pump is not the issue, ite the "flow rate" that counts..................
hope this is of help,
alyn - asperformance.com
Erm, what would the effect be if I had not removed the resistor from the circuit but joined the new pump wires to the old wires with connectors?

I followed whatever instructions came with the pump, and also off Scoobynet and other sites, on best way to fit. I think I cut the wires to the old pump ( as were soldered on IIRC ) and used connectors to join the new pump wires to the old ones .. so likely I left the resistor in the circuit then? It is a jap import WRX wagon if that matters.

Thanks

- Size - yes, the Walbro was a little smaller, there are various bits in the kit to space out th pump for fitting on the OEM carrier.

Last edited by vulnax999; 16 May 2004 at 10:33 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 16 May 2004, 09:10 PM
mark*b
Scooby Regular

Thanks so much guys. It's in and whirring a treat. Haven't been able to throw it really hard into right hand corners on empty to see if it stops the surge problem but will keep you posted. Think I might need a swirl pot as well