Notices

i cant believe its happened again after 109miles

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2004, 05:08 PM
Damo STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry i cant believe its happened again after 109miles

ive just done a full bottom rebuild with new con rods over sixed shells etc, i put on a ihi vf28 turbo, new knock sensor, uprated oil pump, new oil medein, just got it back from my mates garage and the noise is back not as bad as last time but its there.

I have only done 109miles and not went over 3000rpm, yet it sounds like a shell has slipped and theres micro size bits of metal in my fresh clean oil.

does anyone know what could have went wrong im sh**ing my pants as i dont have money to shell out to rebuild it all again.

many thanks Damian
Old 09 May 2004, 07:27 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Damo STi
does anyone know what could have went wrong im sh**ing my pants as i dont have money to shell out to rebuild it all again.
Sorry, but you can't expect an accurate answer to questions like this via the power of the internet, especially when you haven't given us a complete summary of the situation. In order to find out for certain what the cause is, the engine will need to be disassembled again.

There are any number of explanations for failures of this sort. Coming so soon after getting the car back from the garage, the likeliest explanation for any failure is likely to be faults in the parts, or in the execution of the rebuild itself.

Either way, presumably the job was guaranteed? If so get it back to the garage first thing in the morning and see what they have to say about it.
Old 09 May 2004, 10:03 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)

Sorry to hear this, but it's all too common.

You mention over sized bearings, so I assume the crank was re-ground. Assuming this, how was it cleaned ?

Form experience, it's not possible to reliabley clean the crank after a re-grind, unless the ball bearing plugs are spark eroded out, so the oil ways can be thoroughly flushed through. The holes then need to be tapped, and plugged with grub screws.

Generally, it's not worth the hassle, and a new crank is recommended.

Apart from that, were the block, and heads stripped bare, including all the core plugs, and thoroughly flushed through, including the oil ways ?

I agree with Greasemonkey, it's hard to say for sure, but it's normally down to poor engine build practise.

Mark.
Old 10 May 2004, 10:14 PM
Damo STi
Scooby Regular

parts that i had bought for rebuild no1

brand new uprated GGR oil pump
brand new oil medien or medean?
brand new conrods
new big end shells, main bearing shells all over sized .25 bigends 0.5
crankshaft reground and balanced
fully head gasket kit {boy was that dear}
5 ltrs of A1 Auto's oil

The engine was totally stripped to bits and all heavy flushed out in a cleaning machine made for this only for doing it. as soon as i heard the banging i was switched off and taken back to my mate garage so it had only done it for 5secs max, my oil pressure was all checked before i picked up car but i have a gauge i just cant get an adpator to reach my sensor to get it working so i dont know if the new pump had failed.

Got the engine out and its looking like the crankshaft was not machinced right to go with new conrods no2 and no4 has slipped and damaged crankshaft i have called company that did repair onit and supplied me shells and conrods and they said it aint there fault but ive to take it into edinburgh to thrm tommorow to get it looked at, but i dont have that kinda money to fork out again to get it rebuilt, should i hold the responsible for all this ??? my heads about to burst!!!

thanks guys for all info and help

p.s i had a cavturbo i spent £5000 rebuilding it to get 265bhp and 300lbs torque for it to again 2 yaers later melt a low comp racing piston, i never have luck

cheers Damian
Old 10 May 2004, 10:27 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

a1 auto's oil????

who is a1 auto's?
Old 10 May 2004, 10:31 PM
Damo STi
Scooby Regular

Talking

sorry mate its a a retail shop like halfords/ripspeed they have oil for running in new engines and rebuilt ones i got oil from them years ago when i rebuild cav turbo wasnt cheap nether
Old 10 May 2004, 10:35 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

thats ok then, thought it was somewhere else

can't really say anything about it, as we can't see it, so therefore can't comment. damn shame and certainly not your fault, but you SHOULD NOT be payin a single penny m8 as it wasn't you that done the job! one tip tho, replace the crank, it will be worth it, especially now, lol
Old 10 May 2004, 10:37 PM
Damo STi
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

lol i should have just done it from the start but subaru want £700 for it
Old 10 May 2004, 10:57 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

i do know what ya mean m8. i thank rcm for mine
Old 12 May 2004, 10:54 PM
Damo STi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up update

hi peeps heres the upsdate

the shop is saying i drove car too hard which is bull didnt go over 3000rpm they said i should have heard it sooner in high revs i told that i didnt take it above 3000rpm so how could i hear it, they are trying to palm me off

then engineering shop said the crank was fine when it left and that ive not cleaned i right and used old parts, told him he was full of bull as ive got hundreds of £££ worth of bills to prove all was brand new he went quiet and they said dirt caused no4 to slip and take the rest with it ????

my mate says he thinks the recon conrods are shady and its let no4 slip as head and block was all chemicaly cleaned in bath tankers then high pressure box so it was spot less i can vouch for that.

so dont know where i can go or do now ???

now for the good news, after calling CRD they sold me new crankshaft with all the shells, conrods at a very good price and once again they have pulled me out the ****, big thanks george,

so block etc is away getting cleaned again i pick up head gaskets and that tommorow ive got the crank so rebuild round 2 begins tommorow, any pointers or advice on this to avoild this again how long for run in time what rpm etc what oil any info is help thanks again

Damian
Old 14 May 2004, 02:15 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I'd be replacing the MAF sensor for sure. A stuffed MAF will cause det and lots of engines have let go due to failing MAFs. They're cheap and IMHO should be replaced with a rebuild as standard.
Old 14 May 2004, 04:59 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

mate the chances of his car detting its ***** off under 3k rpm is next to nothing
Old 14 May 2004, 10:50 PM
Damo STi
Scooby Regular

Question

i got pistons all checked and there seems to no sign of it detting, i believe the crankshaft at No 4 was not done right by engineers as the new conrod was wiped out bigtime?