Notices

Engine rebuild checklist query

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 05:32 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autosportif Engine rebuild checklist query

I bought y STi type R just over a year ago now and last night i was flicking through the receipts for the engine rebuild and read that it was warranteed for 6 months providing the following criteria was met.I wont bore you with the details but one of them was 'the car is to be run on 97 octane fuel' would this imply that the ecu isnt standard and has been mapped for uk fuel? Its an STi 4 MY98 and upon inspection of the ecu everything looks standard although i havent looked further than the ecu casing.The work was done at Autosportif.Ive been using optimax with no booster and the knocklink has barely any activity at all first green flickers at most.Any ideas?

Last edited by scooby-tc; 13 April 2004 at 05:38 PM.
Old 13 April 2004, 06:09 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby-tc
I bought y STi type R just over a year ago now and last night i was flicking through the receipts for the engine rebuild and read that it was warranteed for 6 months providing the following criteria was met.I wont bore you with the details but one of them was 'the car is to be run on 97 octane fuel' would this imply that the ecu isnt standard and has been mapped for uk fuel?
Logic would dictate that it has, but you can never be sure.

Its an STi 4 MY98 and upon inspection of the ecu everything looks standard although i havent looked further than the ecu casing.
These ECU's need a piggyback board to change the mapping, and there aren't too many people doing those. It's also possible that a change to the fuelling could have been made via other means, such as raising the fuel pressure a tad. Check to see whether there's an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator on it.

The work was done at Autosportif.
Hmmm, Spurrell's guys should know their stuff, so if they say it's okay on 97, I'd be tempted to believe them. Nevertheless, if it was my car I'd be giving them a ring and find out how this had been achieved, rather than take it as read. Still, there shouldn't be any risk provided you keep an eye on the KnockLink.

Ive been using optimax with no booster and the knocklink has barely any activity at all first green flickers at most.Any ideas?
Is the sensitivity on the KnockLink all the way up? If it is, everything looks good, although as mentioned above, it'd be nice to find out what, if anything, was done.
Old 13 April 2004, 06:17 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

GM - the knocklink is set to max sensitivity as is the lambda link (which also only shows green on WOT),would they still have records of the work done if it was over a year ago?
Old 13 April 2004, 06:37 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

They'd almost certainly have a receipt on record if nothing else. However, if you phone them and give them a précis of the situation, and want to check the warranty clause about 97RON fuel being used, they should be able to clarify the situation for you.
Old 13 April 2004, 07:04 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Ok,cheers GM i'll give them a bell in the morning.