Notices

What's The Bloody Problem This Time?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2003, 04:22 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy

Having a bit of an expensive coupla months with PTMW! recently.

New engine
New battery
New MAF
New wiper
New thermostat
New sidelight bulbs
New headlight bulb

Got an oil leak from the NS head cam area to sort out as well as an up-pipe

Gah!

So this is new and just started the other day, whilst manoevering into a parking space @ the local supermarket (well one in Londonderry actually).

I'd just reversed straight, then turned my wheel to the left to start to move into a parking space (I always do my steering when the car is moving slightly, so assume forward motion). As I began to move, there was a loud "clunk" from what seemed to be the front wheel area. It happened to a lesser degree twice more when leaving the car park (not as loud).

It has continued to occur erratically but only seemed to be a low speed when manoevering.

Except today when I went into a roundabout with the intention of powering out of it. Midway around I heard the same clunk just as I switched direction toward the exit.

So, I've deffo got a problem, just what it might be.

I jacked the car up and had a check of the track-rod ends (seem ok), steering doesn't appear lose, wheel bearing NSF seem ok, there is some play in the front drive shafts (rotational) but same on both sides.

Ideas or thoughts as to what it is? I'm hoping CV joint or simillar and not front diff or something.

Need a job to help pay for all this!
Old 30 December 2003, 04:41 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cv

iirc. dingbro motor factors do joint for £50 ish plus vat or shaft exchange for about £100+vat

find a large car park and do some slow figure eights with the front windows open.

[Edited by T-uk - 12/30/2003 4:43:39 PM]
Old 30 December 2003, 06:15 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

Hi fella

I had the exact same symptoms(spelling)as you and thought it may have been something big but I got the car up and saw the cv boot had torn on the front passenger side drive shaft the one nearer to the wheel. Ive since changed this and the noise stopped

Darren
Old 30 December 2003, 07:53 PM
diogenese
Scooby Newbie

I'd check the brake pads before fitting a new driveshaft, if they have worn down on the ends of the backing (the steel bit) they can make a awful clonk when you change direction. espacially if you have the brakes on a tiny bit.
Old 30 December 2003, 10:02 PM
Matt P
Scooby Regular

Agree with brake pads moving in caliper, get this quite a lot and had it on previous cars. As an outside chance, a worn (or wearing) suspension bush??
Old 30 December 2003, 10:25 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Sounds very much like mine. Not found a definite cause yet, but I've more or less eliminated suspension (by inspection and noting that the car is fine on the road, even at speeds not fit for the road )

The first thing Dad said when I pressganged him into helping me find the knock was "driveshaft" He should know, as he drives a Discovery

My brake pads are at least 15-20k miles old, and the discs 35 to 40k miles old, so there could be some room for knocking there too, but it's not obvious.
Old 30 December 2003, 10:26 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Smile

thought about pads and if it had been anyone else , would have suggested that but puffs a track junkie and I guess will keep his brakes up to scratch.
Old 30 December 2003, 10:33 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

My brake pads are at least 15-20k miles old

I used about 8+sets of pads and cracked 3 sets if discs in that time. track days teach you how to change brake parts

waiting to see how my new AP's last.

slow figure 8's will show up a driveshaft clunk
Old 30 December 2003, 10:35 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Hmm

Did cross my mind re pads.

EBC Greens with 8000 miles on them, no track days and when I swopped 'em out for Pagids on track @ 5k miles, they were little worn.

There "might" be a little pull that "might" be caused by a seized/stuck calliper, but that could also be caused by tramlining from my GDS3 F1s with 21k on them.

However, will be investigated...
Old 30 December 2003, 10:47 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Just to add

I did put the EBCs back after said track day and since then have not really given them cause to wear - 1000+ motorway miles to Ireland, 1000 running in and otherwise I'm a boring, fuel-saving driver most of the time. My EBC Greens don't really suit my area, which is twisty B & D minus roads, so don't abuse them.

Discs have 60k on them but again are hardly worn - plenty of life left in them, as confirmed by SS the other day.
Old 31 December 2003, 12:03 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
I had a 'clicking' CV joint, originally only heard during carpark manouvres, it turned into loud clunks under heavy cornering after 5000 miles including trackdays.

If moneys tight then get a 2nd hand driveshaft assy, I sourced one for £40.
Old 31 December 2003, 02:12 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

To add to the list i had a similiar situation on my 01WRX. Thought it was the driveshaft knocking at first my but found it hard to place the sound while driving. it then changed to a large clunk when pull off forward/or backward. Spoke to my local Subaru twice and each time said it was the front pads moving in the caliper - 3rd time i persisted and they replaced the offside wheel baring under wanentry - no probs anymore and some much nicer to drive without unwelcome noises

Good luck
Old 31 December 2003, 10:40 AM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

***************PTMW if you need a front drive shaft I have a spare one from a wrx I fitted the other one as my original one had perished if your after one and can collect as they are quite heavy to post then feel free and come and get it.

Darren
Old 31 December 2003, 04:40 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Morty

Very kind sir! Let me do some investigations as to whats wrong & I'll let you know. Wife has a relly in Roundhay area who needs visiting, so collection NP.
Old 02 January 2004, 10:57 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
PTMW

WRX My94 wagon.
I had a clunk from front when slow manoevering say out of a junction just as applying power, and got worse so clunked going over the nice traffic calming measures, read Speed Bumps!

Turned out to be the 2 rubber bushes on the wishbone ( front and rear ) being very worn and allowing wishbone movement to hit mounting. Fixed with Powerflex Bushes (front bush) and Whiteline anti lift kit with PU bushes on rear mount!!

Other common option is a/r bar drop link bushes. PU them too!

Final option, some one on here said it may be play / wear in damper top mounts ( or even badly fitted springs moving in the spring cup and clunking ).

Doesn't sound too expensive / hard to do, good luck!

Old 03 January 2004, 12:14 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
wouldnt be at all surprised if you have a worn wheel bearing after all the trackdays you do James.

Stick the car on full lock and drive it at 2MPH, see if you can hear a clicking or grinding noise. Do it in reverse and forward.

Another indication of wheel bearing failure is having the brake pedal travel further than you would normally expect after heavy cornering the first time you apply the brakes.
Old 03 January 2004, 01:02 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

sound advice, thats how i would diagnose it

the brake pedal thing happend to me a few times in one of my old cars, which used to chew wheel bearings up every few months
Old 08 January 2004, 05:51 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Smile

what is the latest on this puff?
Old 08 January 2004, 09:25 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

I had a clunk under the same circumstances as you Puff - A loose shock absorber.

I had Koni adjustable shocks put on, and about 4 weeks later it developed a knock on full lock. After looking at anything and everything, I finally discovered it was the bolt at the bottom of the strut that had come loose.