Notices

Tell me about the pro's and con's of Link ECU's

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2003, 10:25 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

All aftermarket ECU's have strong and weak point's. What's the score with the Link Stuff?

Mikey
Old 18 December 2003, 10:34 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

My only 'complaint' would be with the boost control system - but that's more a case of me not having 'the knack' required to set it up right!
Other than that, I can't really think of any problems at all... you could say that it's sensitive to fuel (especially if you map it 'to the edge') but that's easily overcome but having some booster in the boot hust in case (it's happened to me twice in the last year - and then it's really the pump that's at fault, not the Link ).
Definately good value, though
Old 18 December 2003, 12:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a winter vs summer day it will run leaner and advanced vs richer and retarded if you don't have some sort of temperature compensation (the MY99/00 UK cars don't have an inlet temperature sensor). This is not necessarily a bad thing except the actual difference is quite large - 25-30 degrees celcius or so change in temperature is 10% difference in air density and hence air fuel ratio since the ECU doesn't know and injects the same amount of fuel for a given boost and RPM regardless. In practice people don't seem to complain about it. And when I say advanced or retarded, it doesn't actually change with temperature like the AFR would, but ideally it would do because the air charge per cylinder (a proxy for load) is different.

[Edited by john banks - 12/18/2003 12:21:43 PM]
Old 18 December 2003, 01:26 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

So there you have it

In day to day terms than John are you saying that ambient temperature will affect performance but not so as the driver would be aware?

In a crude way, the same as in the winter, you need to turn the Dawes down a tad because the intake temps are colder/denser etc!

Mikey
Old 18 December 2003, 01:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Yes
Old 18 December 2003, 04:51 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had a Link for 3 or 4weeks now..

Any cons are to do with the mapping and a lot of it my learning curve rather than the actual Link.. having never mapped before..
etc..

I'd hate to have to go back to the original ecu now..

The tuning module is not a huge amount of use as you get so much more out of the laptop but if you get it mapped then you might want to see what is going on a little. I will be using the tuning module more as a display gauge than a Tuning Module which is a little bit of false naming I feel. Display Module would be more suiting.. or perhaps "Make small tweaks Module" but doesn't roll off the tongue so well

Very few cons with the actual Link once on there and mapped except as mentioned already really.

JGM
Old 18 December 2003, 06:14 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

On John's thoughts - I most certainly agree, but it does seem to be one of those 'in theory' type things Having not touched the very sensitive cruise area of the map (which is open loop) since the summer, the difference in AFR is really not noticeable in practice. I originally set it up by using the 'lean out until the engine isn't happy & add a bit' method (gives about 15.4-15.7:1 on my car) & the car is still happy with the denser charge.
I can't give any feedback with the 'on boost' area as I'm afraid I play with that too much
Old 18 December 2003, 10:52 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nom,

Doing as you say for the cruise.. I get an afr reading of 0 on the subaru lambda?! engine is still perfectly happy though..
So I end up with it a bit richer.. as I don;t like no reading.. lol

Hoping to get a wideband on there soon.

JGM
Old 18 December 2003, 11:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

It would be more apparent in heat soak situations with a wideband with a TMIC on track - charge temperature can easily vary from 10 to 55 C in these conditions, but I suppose on full boost it won't stay at 10 for very long LOL. However, there would be 16% difference in fuelling between the two extremes.