Notices

AWD to RWD

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2003, 11:39 AM
MARKWRX666
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was looking to the Owners manual of my Impreza STI 6 Type-R and i saw a part which was "Switch off the AWD" ,
Anyone tried it ?
Does it come rear wheel drive.
Can the car be driven like that ?

Any answers pls

Thanks
Mark
Old 18 December 2003, 12:59 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

i thought it knocked out the centre diff, thus only giving you front drive, as it would be easier to knock out the centre diff drive, than knock out the front diff drive.
Old 18 December 2003, 02:10 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It's not possible to simply "switch off" the four wheel drive on a Type R, or any other manual transmission AWD Impreza for that matter.

The only way you could gain that impression from the manual is if you're reading one that has been very badly translated from Japanese.

You can't "knock out" the centre diff on a manual transmission car either. You can lock it on the DCCD cars, but that produces fixed four wheel drive, not 2WD.

IIRC some of the auto transmissions have an FWD only mode, but the only way of making an Impreza RWD would be to physically lock the centre differential and remove the front diff and driveshafts.
Old 18 December 2003, 11:46 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

According to my handbook there is a FWD space in the fusebox which you're supposed to fit a fuse if for example you have to use the spacesaver spare (which is obviously a different size to the normal wheels).

Any idea what it does then? I've always wondered how it can have any effect on a mechanical viscous-coupling centre diff...
Old 19 December 2003, 07:07 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It has absolutely no effect on a viscous coupled diff. Doesn't have any effect on the DCCD cars either; there's no way of making one of those front biased/FWD without physically changing stuff.

I'd suggest that wahatever that instruction actually is, it only applies to the automatic transmission cars that have switchable/part-time four wheel drive.