Notices

Trip computer - how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2003, 07:37 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right then, I only seem to be getting 200 miles from a tank of fuel and bar all the other running rich options etc, I had a thought.

My speedo isn't too accurate and under reads. If the trip computer uses that to calculate speed, it might explain it.

Any ideas?

MB
Old 22 November 2003, 04:35 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The trip meter and odometer do indeed use the speedo input signal to calculate distance travelled. However, the only circumstance under which these would under-read would be if you changed the tyres for a set with larger rolling circumference than your car was originally fitted with.

TBH 200 miles per tank isn't far enough out of whack to be suspecting something like this, especially if the bulk of your mileage is urban. As long as you've ruled out the obvious stuff (misreading Lambda etc.), there doesn't seem to be a lot wrong.

Might be worth investigating a remap if your particular MY has this option open to it however, as most of these tend to result in improvements in off-boost fuel economy. Decat doesn't do any harm either.
Old 23 November 2003, 12:44 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark, if you're getting 200 to the tank, you must be driving like miss daisy!!!!
Old 23 November 2003, 10:24 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers GM, help yet again!

I think its the way its been calibrated from when it was imported, as the tyres / wheels are correct. I worked out that when it says 30, you're actaully doing about 40. Not really a problem though. I am going to decat it and remap it soon

Ron, I used to get 280 miles from the MY99! Managed 180 miles on the first tank in the black beast.

Might see what other STi owners get MPG wise.

MB

MB

Old 23 November 2003, 04:22 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only get 200-220!! in a uk my00!!
Old 23 November 2003, 04:41 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

I think its the way its been calibrated from when it was imported, as the tyres / wheels are correct. I worked out that when it says 30, you're actaully doing about 40.
Jeesh, you mean the way it hasn't been calibrated? Sounds like it's been right royally screwed. Converting JDM cars from km/h to mph is simple enough. Was the speedo card changed during the process, or have you still got the single 0-180 scale?
Either way, running with a dodgy speedo is a bit risky on modern roads. Have you tried using a GPS or running through a local measured mile to get an accurate idea of how it relates to reality?

Might see what other STi owners get MPG wise.
Sometimes get as high as 27mpg on the motorway, but in town it's in the teens, and having fun is, well, having fun.
Old 23 November 2003, 08:49 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Think its 0-180. May be the way its sitting in the dash, ie too far anti-clockwise. Don't pay much attention to it really

What sort of place can sort them?

MB
Old 24 November 2003, 09:26 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I must admit, when I came back from Cardiff after picking up Megs car she phoned me to say slow down, I said I was only doing 70! She thought we were doing 80 something.
Never had any speeding tickets though Mark. If it was doing 40 when saying 30 then I would have a pile of tickets... Unless you've broken it whilst messing around the back
I was going to borrow a mates GPS to check it, let me know if you want to try that sometime.
I used to get 160-170 sometimes from a tank but then that would mostly be round town.

[Edited by RichB - 11/24/2003 9:28:21 AM]
Old 24 November 2003, 11:09 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

No probs Rich,

It seems more accurate at the top end. Will try and borrow Glen to do a sped trial Most 30 cameras round my way, go off a 42mhp, so I can sleep easy

MB
Old 25 November 2003, 07:25 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Question

Did a check and the speedo doesn't move until about 10mph. Must be the actual convertor device I presume? The dial shows 0-180, but at night you can see where it shows KPH underneath the MPH badge. New Era being dodgy?!

MB
Old 25 November 2003, 08:10 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It's common practice to stick a simple "MPH" sticker on top of the original km/h legend, so you can't really get on New Era's case for that.

It could simply be that the needle's been pulled off the spindle at some point and replaced at the wrong angle. This may again have happened prior to the car leaving Japan.

In the first instance you should check with the importer to make certain the conversion to miles per hour has been performed successfully.

If that doesn't accomplish anything, the best way to get it sorted would either be to calibrate the speedo with a GPS, or on a measured mile. Failing that, see if you can borrow a SECS monitor or DeltaDash from someone.

You should be able to pull off and reposition the speedo needle on the spindle to correct the error, once you know exactly how far it's out.
Old 25 November 2003, 08:33 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ta again GM,

Got a SECS on the way so can check against that. At least it sounds straight forward from what you've suggested.

MB
Old 26 November 2003, 10:00 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

New Era used an agent in this country to do the SVA work, funnily the guys surname was Fiddler , I always wondered why....