Notices

should i get a link or a bigger turbo td05

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2003, 11:56 PM
catalunya199
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was very tempted and still am in the link with the remap but was told by a friend to get a bigger turbo first cause i will get more benefits.

the link only works of the mods i have which would be ok.

i have been the turbo is a better way to start and put other mods to it ie. injectors etc then get a link at the end to save on getting a remap every time i buy a mod, i dont no what one to do cause im going to gain power either way but what will gain the most.

how easy is it to make it a front enrty turbo as well
Old 25 November 2003, 11:38 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

You know if you get get a bigger tubro, it would be unlikely that your current ECU would fuel it correctly!

When I had my big turbo and FMIC fitted, I drove around off boost most of the time until I could get the Link fitted and mapped. With the standard ECU, the car was detting at the top end of the rev range and not worth the risk!

Get your Link fitted and mapped for your car now. When you get the other bits fitted (turbo, injectors, fuel pump, etc) then take it to BR Developments and get it re-mapped.

Better to pay for mapping twice and know that your car is safe!

What would be the point of spending all that money on a turbo to have it blow up your engine, costing you a shed load more cash in the long run!
Old 25 November 2003, 02:34 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Talking

Easy get both

[Edited by Jake - 11/25/2003 2:35:43 PM]
Old 26 November 2003, 08:25 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Not sure why the bigger turbo would mean the ecu can't fuel properly????

If the boost is run at the level it was i'd say the fueling would be fine. The standard ecu would fuel given the amount of air passing the MAF, the larger turbo would mean more fuel is going through the MAF and so the ecu would add more fuel. From what i've seen of the early ecus (MY92-98) the standard map had a good deal of head room, load values ranging from 42-47 in the map but only achieving high 30's / 40's even with increased boost.

Plus a know a good few people running standard ecus on M97-98 cars and FE TD05s with increased boost (1.2 bar), knocklink all quiet.

Having said all that i'd still go for the ecu first then turbo, the ecu is the foundation that all your future mods could be built around.

Tony.
Old 26 November 2003, 08:52 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

The tricky bit is that a larger turbo will quite possibly go a way above the headroom (I imagine you'd want it to, or it's not going tobe making that much of a difference!) and also it'll be screwing up densities, etc. I'd have thought there'd be a very high chance of it making the engine run seriously lean.
And the turbo control might be interesting... obviously a Dawes would sort that little problem out, as long as you don't mind the on/off stuff it does
The 'sensible' thing to do would be to have them done at the same time - at a minimum, if you're having the turbo done you need to have the budget to get the mapping done if necessary (which I think it will be, certainly if you want to enjoy the new turbo!); just the new ECU probably wouldn't get you much more performance but itself...
Added - what MY? And what turbo (or bhp) are you looking at? Could make quite a difference to the choices

[Edited by nom - 11/26/2003 8:53:54 AM]
Old 26 November 2003, 09:33 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

From what i've looked at a TD05 (FE) running a dawes at 1.15/1.2 bar was still running rich on the standard ecu (MY97/98). However it was running IDCs in the very high 90s. This was still not running on the limit of it's standard map tho, although it was on the second to last row (original boost limit still in place).

Have a word with Rich Wild if you want to know what the standard ecu and TD05 is capable of (344 bhp IIRC). However like i said an ecu is always a sound investment.

Tony.

Old 26 November 2003, 10:11 AM
iain atkins
Scooby Regular

Like i said on the phone.

First of all the fuel pump and regulator need to be fitted.

Then I would get the 05FE fitted and set it at a conservative boost level.

Then once you have your injectors etc ready get the ECU changed for the link.

My FE has been on for sometime now and i have closely checked for det (with det cans) and have been monitoring the fuelling and MAF.

But again this is just IMHO.

Iain