Notices

Are all wipers crap

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2001, 12:22 AM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went on a trip to Doncaster last week. Fitted a new set of Halfords wiper blades. They left a patch on the backstroke at any speed over 60. Took them back and then tried the Boshe one - same problem.

Has anyone sorted this out yet.

Isn't it a pain with no search facility.
Old 01 January 2001, 03:09 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

There was a thread about this a while back - someone complaining their wipers lifted off in the rain above 100mph - so they're probably dead now anyway.
Old 01 January 2001, 08:35 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Cool

Do your blades have the wind deflectors on them? The halfords part numbers for the Bosche blades with the deflectors are :-

T530S drivers side
T480S passenger side

These seem to work super on my car ! Thanks to Pat for this information originally.

Gethin
MY97 WRX
Old 01 January 2001, 08:41 PM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Gethin

Thanx for your reply.

Yes I have the one's with spoilers fitted. To be quite honest I have not noticed the problem much before. But this week with all the slush on the roads i have used the wash wipe alot, and have noticed the problem more under these conditions.
Old 02 January 2001, 10:36 AM
PeterJ
Scooby Regular

I have the Bosch wipers with Spoilers, they a useless at speed. Prior to that, I had some Japanese ones also with spoilers. These too were useless!
Old 02 January 2001, 11:03 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

The cold ain't helping those poor little blades one bit!

I swear by Rainx - applied correctly it works well and for several weeks. during the recent snow and bad weather I did quite a few miles in cr@p weather and it kept the screen a lot clearer than the other cars I saw - even after running out of screenwash.

Incidentally, I was unable to get any screenwash between Southampton and Northampton - 130 miles or so - everywhere had sold out! - does the bad weather come as such a shock to the garages?

Perhaps they should turn over a bit more space on the shelves and in the stockrooms for motoring type items! - Rant over.
Old 02 January 2001, 01:21 PM
Lewegie
Scooby Regular

Have got to agree with Paul, if the screen is not clean then the wipers will struggle.
I have fitted the Bosch wipers with spoilers recently due to the old ones lifting at speed and it has cured the problem.
Although after reading other recent reports it sounds as though this doesn't work for all.
Old 03 January 2001, 03:21 PM
mmason
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I did start a thread on this a while back, wipers over 90mph.(and I'm not dead.....yet) Since then I bought Bosch wipers and have used rainX. Bosch was an improvement but still not good enough for autobahns etc, rainX does help but I find tends to smear at the end of its life and then causes problems when night driving. I'm still searching for alternative wipers...........
Old 03 January 2001, 03:34 PM
Gussie Cup
Scooby Regular

Smile

When its raining, I slow down TA DAAA!
Old 03 January 2001, 09:06 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by mmason:
<B>I did start a thread on this a while back, wipers over 90mph.(and I'm not dead.....yet) Since then I bought Bosch wipers and have used rainX. Bosch was an improvement but still not good enough for autobahns etc, rainX does help but I find tends to smear at the end of its life and then causes problems when night driving. I'm still searching for alternative wipers........... [/quote]

AH!! - it was you - glad to hear you are still with us

Old 04 January 2001, 01:46 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

You really need to keep the screen clean for the wipers to stay effective. There is a lot of cr@p on the roads at the minute with all the bad weather. A weekly scrub with Fairy liquid and then a thorough rinse does the job. Keep the Fairy away from the paintwork.
Old 04 January 2001, 09:38 PM
mmason
Scooby Regular

Is fairy really bad for the paint work ???Oooops.
Old 05 January 2001, 08:45 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Yep, it really is bad. Detergents will effectively "burn" the paintwork. Get some car shampoo for washing the car at the very least, or speak to the near legendary Mark Underwood (u_mark@hotmail.com) at Wax Wizard.

5 litres of screen wash is a couple of quid. Keep away from the fairy (oo er) as the scooby's paintwork is bad enough as it is
Old 08 January 2001, 11:28 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Dunno if this is any good 2 ya, here it is anyway. Clean the window @ least 1s a month with meths then coat the window with seal n see (u know the stuff they sold with colorcote 2000). Hey works 4 me
Old 09 January 2001, 08:22 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If yer windscreen is really grimy theres a product called mixra .(think its by holts) which I find fairly good .....just spray it on ....give it a coupla seconds and wipe off via the wipers
Instant sparkly Clean !
Well kinda !
Niall

[This message has been edited by NAF (edited 09 January 2001).]
Old 09 January 2001, 09:25 PM
Hamish Lindsay
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Fairy Liqid
Fairy Liqid
Fairy Liqid

It works on my visor it works on my windscreen
Do not use any thing that contains wax on your windscreen. Washing your car in Zipwax or similar will leave your paintwork with a lovely glow of silicone it will also coat your screen in silicone (not good)
Here's the proof Ride a Superbike in heavy rain having cleaned your visor in Fairy. Guess what anything above 80 mph and your visor clears. Try anything else (wipers ! Rainex Magic This Magic That ) no good I have tryed & tested Fairy to 155 mph in the wet. And here's the big one both my crash hat and car still have paint on them ! If Fairy doesn't work it might sound brutal but change your windscreen !

Regards,
Hamish.
Old 10 January 2001, 08:16 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

155 on a bike in the wet

isn't that a bit slippy?

my brain starts doing backflips over 100 in the rain.

[edit] oh yeah, the thread! my screen's fine - I probably fill the bottle every 2 weeks or less, but my screen/wipers are always fine.

[This message has been edited by Fosters (edited 10 January 2001).]