Notices

Steering wheel position

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2000, 06:59 PM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My steering wheel is pointing slightly to the right (couple of minutes past twelve...)quite annoying .
How do I get it back pointing in the 12oClock position? Is this a tracking issue?
The car is steady at all speeds, if this is bad tracking would I get such stability??
I'm guessing it isn't as simple as asking an engineer to re-position the steering wheel back to the 'straight ahead' position...

Suitably confused.

Greg
Old 22 July 2000, 02:15 AM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks hunterB
Looks like I'll be booking myself in to Micheldever Tyres next week.

Greg
Old 22 July 2000, 12:01 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

First thing to do is to check for uneven wear on the front tyres (particularly if one or both are scrubbing on the inside). If scrubbing on the outside edge/s, it could be tracking, or it could be enthusiastic driving. If scrubbing on the inside, most likely to be tracking. Next, have the tracking checked, preferably by a company that has their equipment calibrated regularly (i.e. not Kwik-Fit! ) and preferably by a company that uses a laser tracking system that can check the geometry on all four wheels. Once that's all been checked (and adjusted if necessary), check the position of the steering wheel. If it's still off centre, have your dealer remove it and refit it (only takes a few minutes for a skilled technician).
Old 23 July 2000, 07:44 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

HunterB

Mine has the same sypmtoms as above - but the tracking is spot on ala Powerstation

Cant take steering wheel off, or I'll lose the airbag - and in any event I think there are only a few positions - so thats a non starter - hopefully Gregs tracking is out! - as I think I may need to faf with the steering rack a bit! and yes it is a pain - and I know a few people with the problem
Old 23 July 2000, 07:59 PM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Question

Is this a problem that is likely to re-occur, does anyone know?
My steering wheel doesn't have an airbag (helas...) has anyone done this job themselves? Easy enough for a mechanical know nothing like myself?

Greg

[This message has been edited by Greg Jones (edited 23-07-2000).]
Old 24 July 2000, 01:39 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem, except a bit to the left of centre. Just take it to a dealer who can put it straight. It took me two goes until I was happy. It is not an uncommen problem and it should be checked as part of POD.
Old 24 July 2000, 01:49 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I believe this is a common thing with new cars, mine came from the dealers slightly off, the dealer will correct it for you FOC. I waited 'till i needed new tyres (not a long wait!) and got the tyre fitters to check the 4 wheel alignment and tracking
(may be the same thing) and sure enough it was slightly out. The tyres had worn evenly though.
Old 24 July 2000, 01:51 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I believe this is a common thing with new cars, mine came from the dealers slightly off, the dealer will correct it for you FOC. I waited 'till i needed new tyres (not a long wait!) and got the tyre fitters to check the 4 wheel alignment and tracking
(may be the same thing) and sure enough it was slightly out. The tyres had worn evenly though.
Old 24 July 2000, 02:24 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Steve,

No difference with or without an airbag - my car has an airbag and the dealer had the steering wheel straightened within 5 minutes.

Brian

Old 24 July 2000, 04:07 PM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sigh of relief...glad that it is quite common, about to blame the girlfriend for kerbing my car without telling me...

Greg