Notices

Turbo Screech at 5k revs

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2003, 08:58 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Some of you guys will have read my thread on the oil leak i had... well since i got it fixed this morning i've been going easy with it to make sure the pipe was alright and all the smoke from the leaked oil disapeared...
Once everything was in the clear and seemed fine i took it for a blast and when the car aproached 5k revs the turbo (seems like its the turbo) made a screeching/whistling noise... it does this more in second and first gears less in 3rd and non in 4th-5th.
i dont have a boost gauge but it seems to pull fine although its not like it was in the winter..

It screeches as though there's friction between moving parts...
Seing as it pulls ok and only screeches at high revs i'm prepared to leave it for a while but i don't want to damage the engine or anything else.

Would this be safe?

Any views asto what the problem could be?

i get the feeling i may have caused damage to it when there was the oil leak and i drove it for half mile (although slowly).

Thanks in advance guys

Franko
Old 18 October 2003, 09:04 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

OMG Poor scooby
Old 18 October 2003, 09:14 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

I know
Old 18 October 2003, 09:52 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

Oops!

Is this any good to you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2437802839&category=10 424
Old 18 October 2003, 11:02 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

Thanks Highlander

Thats a TD04 the one i have is a IHI VF22...
I think the VF22 is a bigger turbo than the TD04? or is it the other way round... i'm not sure asto what turbo to choose if i have to buy a new one...

I'll keep track of this one though cheers
Old 20 October 2003, 09:31 AM
Franko
Scooby Regular

It stopped during yesterday and i was hoping its cured itself but its screeching again today

Any ideas guys? i think i need a new turbo unit... what would be best to replace the VF22?

Appreciate any advice

Franko
Old 20 October 2003, 04:14 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, impossible to do anything other than guess at the cause of this Franko, but in terms of probabilities, a knackered (or knackering) turbo bearing is one of the leading contenders, given that we know the turbo was being worked reasonably hard in a context where there was an oil leak in the supply pipe.

If you've got the car mapped around a VF22, the only ideal replacement is another '22.

If it was me though, I'd look for something a little smaller and more responsive.
Old 20 October 2003, 05:21 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You running standard exhaust?

This is HIGHLY unlikely to be true of you, but my standard exhaust was extremely knackered, and at about 5000rpms upwards screamed with metal noise as it's metal outer-heatsheild scraped over and over against the actual pipe. It didn't ALWAYS happen, and was VERY loud. I thought a bearing e.g. Thrust bearing in my case!

Probably not, but worth a quick check before you splash for a new turbo.
Old 20 October 2003, 08:31 PM
mrciave
Scooby Regular

Hello Franko,

it seems very similar to what happened to me this summer... A noise from the turbo, really like turbo bearings scratching as hell!!!

Was starting at 3000rpm when cold, then at 4.5k when hot. In the end, was the gasket between turbo and downpipe that was leaking. You can check it in this way: switch on car (from cold, so you will not burn your hands), open bonnet, go with your hand around the turbo2downpipe connection, and check for some air leaking. If so... Bingo.

As the leak is after the turbo, there's no loss of power, just a lot of noise.

In any case, all the other exhaust connections are good candidates... But as it comes from the turbo, should be this. Good luck m8.

Andrea
Old 20 October 2003, 11:17 PM
Franko
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking along the same lines as you Greasemonkey... it looks like the turbo bearing especially with the oil leak...
I havn't been on the moding scene and my motor's had everything as is since i got it 10months ago...

Jap import-WRX Sti-DownPipe-UpPipe-Full Decat and runs on opti plus booster.
Standard intercooler with airfilter piped into the wing..

The car is very fast although its never been on rollers to check..

If i get a smaller turbo say TD04... this will reduce the lag but will this produce the same/simialar power at higher speeds?
The VF22 seems to make it go and go!

and i'll need a re-map for the TD04? (or other smaller turbo)

Turbo_steve : i'm not runing on a standard exhaust.. due to the earlier problem with oil leak its most likely the turbo but as you say its best to check before splashing out on another one..

Mrciave (Andrea) : Seems intresting what you say about the air leak from the turbo... i'll be checking this in the morning and see what hapens...

It cut back on boost today,suddenly lost all power as i was accelerating in 1st... and then picked up again in second... (could have been my driving )

Thanks for all your replies guys really do apreciate it

Franko

P.s GM come over and fix me motor you can have all the pints you want