Notices

Rear Fog Lights. Again!

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 1999, 10:13 AM
Norrie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to bring this up again but..

Can anyone fill in some details which seem to be missing from previous posts regarding the fitting of rear fog lights to imports for the purposes of MOT testing?

Does the wiring for the fog light already exist as part of the loom that goes to the o/s rear light cluster?

Does a uk spec fog light switch have to be fitted or are the jap ones the same?

I was quoted £160 for a pair of uk rear clusters. Is this a bit steep?

Thanks in advance

Norrie
Old 21 April 1999, 10:38 AM
Robbie
Scooby Regular

With my Sti V one of the reversing lamps was removed and a red high intensity bulb was fitted and wired up to the right hand side of the steering column as the rear fog lamp. Looks rather nice but at night with the dark rear glass you get on a Type R could do with the extra light.
Old 21 April 1999, 07:08 PM
abetts
Scooby Regular

I fitted the rear fog lamp on my STi v.3 for the SVA test. If the wiring already exists I couldn't find it. I did a bespoke wiring job and use a five pound fog light from the local motor factors. Strictly speaking, wiring up the offside rear reversing lamp and using a red bulb does not comply with the law (as there must be at least 100mm distance between the fog light and the rear brake light). It may be good enough to get past an MOT but it would not get through the SVA test (at least at the Gillingham test centre which I used). After the SVA test I took my cheap and nasty fog lamp off on the basis that it was terminally ugly. Guess I'm more willing to die in a rear shunt than have an un-cool fog lamp! It will have to go back on for one day a year when the car becomes eligible for the MOT test but that is not a problem as the wiring and switch were left in place and it takes less than five minutes to fix the lamp back on.

Personally I like the Jap spec. rear lights as it helps distinguish the car from UK spec. Also I'm a mean sod and there is no way I would pay out that sort of money for a pair of rear light clusters!
Old 21 April 1999, 07:12 PM
abetts
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention that I used a UK spec fog lamp switch but because I did a bespoke wiring job I had to identify all the switch pins, make up a small wiring harness to patch it into the exising wiring etc etc.

The switch came from a breaker's yard. Ten quid I think.
Old 21 April 1999, 07:12 PM
abetts
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention that I used a UK spec fog lamp switch but because I did a bespoke wiring job I had to identify all the switch pins, make up a small wiring harness to patch it into the exising wiring etc etc.

The switch came from a breaker's yard. Ten quid I think.
Old 22 April 1999, 09:25 AM
Norrie
Scooby Regular

Thanks!

It seems that converting one of the reversing lights is the way to go. I was thinking of fitting a cheap fog light temporarily so as to be completely legal for the MOT and then converting the rev light.

Where do you get the red bulbs? I remember someone said they'd painted one. Was this you? I've noticed that the new Vauxhall Vectras have weird looking rear clusters with coloured bulbs too.

Thanks again.

Norrie
Old 22 April 1999, 10:23 AM
StewartW
Scooby Newbie

My MY95 WRX has had the offside clear reversing lens replaced with a red lens. This was all done before collecting the car from my dealer.

There is a fog light switch under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. It lights up with the rest of the dash aswell when the side/headlights are turned on.

I too have black windows on the rear doors/screen and reversing can be a pain at night with only the one rear light.
Old 22 April 1999, 11:48 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

I got the paint from a car shop. It was in the "Max Power" section and they had all sorts of colours, the bloke was surprised at red as purple is their best seller !

It's weird stuff, you paint it onto the bulb then bake it. It works OK in the dark or fog, but looks a bit pink in daylight.