Notices

Smoke on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 1999, 12:13 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also experiencing similar "bluish" exhaust smoke only on the first start in the morning (MY98 10K miles). The car is garaged overnight but overnight temps are quite low. Any explanation would be helpful ?.

PS oil levels appear to be OK
Old 12 March 1999, 10:07 AM
AnthonyJ
Scooby Regular

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but...

When I first start my 98 WRX, it puffs out a few clouds of something that isn't steam (i.e. it doesn't disappear quickly but hangs around like "oily exhaust"). Is this normal? Once the initial puffs have gone, the exhaust seems clean as a whistle - even under the most stressful of conditions(!). Am I worrying too much, or could this be a warning sign of something bad about to happen!?

Does anyone else notice the same thing?
Old 12 March 1999, 01:35 PM
JohnS

I think it's probably due to the extra fuel being used first thing in the morning whilst the car starts on fast idle.

Mine produces lots of what looks like water vapour first thing, but it disappears once the engine is warmed up. If oil levels are fine and it only does it first thing then it's probably nothing to worry about.
Old 12 March 1999, 07:37 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I don't know wether this of any help or not, but I was having the same oil burning promblem with my MY98 when I first got it. The dealer checked it out, and all emmisions checks were OK yet there was a reduction in oil level, so it had to be going somewhere. After a while I worked out how to reproduce it, but not what causes it. If the car is allowed to cool down, and then only started for the roll into the garage the following morning you could guarantee blue smoke, the longer it was left before driving (ie the weekend) the more the smoke. If I put the car straight into the garage there is never any smoke the following morning. I am not exceptionally mechanical, but could it be that the oil seals or maybe the rings, do not seal until the engine is hot, and consequently starting the car solely to put it away allows oil to collect, only to be burnt off. It may be a coincidence, but since I started putting the car away without allowing it to cool right down I have seen no smoke, and the oil level never changes.

Cheers
Josh
Old 13 March 1999, 03:03 PM
John Phillips
Scooby Regular

I reported this fault to my dealer on my UK MY98. He also, is of the same opinion as JohnS. Extra fuel along with some residual crap in the manifold, being more prominent with a bigger exhaust. Once the car heats up no further problems.
If the smoke is still present once the engine is warm, then worry.
Old 15 March 1999, 10:37 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

My MY97 did this for the entire 20K miles I drove it, but never used any oil. Dealer said there was no problem with car - 'Some of them do that Sir'. I will let you know if it occurs on my MY99.

My friend's 97MY did this as well until he changed his oil to Millers - car has been right ever since - engine is quieter too.
Old 18 April 1999, 02:52 PM
nionio
Scooby Newbie

I had this problem with my MY97 and now it's fine. It was a simple as changing to a thicker engine oil. I use to use "Mobil 1" (full synthetic and 5W-50) now I use "Shell Helix Ultra" (part-synthetic 15W-50). Apparently Mobil 1 is too thin for the engine. I will actually on the next service start using "Shell Helix Ultra +" (full-synthetic 15W-50).

Cheers,

Nionio