Notices

ALS (bang-bang system)

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 1999, 09:41 PM
Mike-old
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone tried to install an Anti-Lag-System (bang-bang system) on a street car? Is it only the ECU, or does it contain some hardware? Which exhaust to use with the ALS?
Old 15 April 1999, 10:08 PM
WV
Scooby Regular

No, don't even think about it. Anti-Lag systems inject raw fuel on a closed or partially closed throttle to the hot manifold next to the turbo. The fuel ignites causing the turbo impeller blades to continue spinning at high RPM until normal fuelling conditions can drive the turbo on open throttle.
The exhaust manifold will die a death after about 1000 miles due to the abuse given to it.
Very expensive but great for spitting flames from the exhaust
Old 16 April 1999, 10:42 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

i don't think the police would take kindly to a scooby spitting flames at following motorists. Though It'd keep the tailgaters of your behind
Old 16 April 1999, 11:14 AM
Mike-old
Scooby Newbie

In my country the police doesn't care about sprkling flames... I think they would like it! )) Any idea where to buy ALS and how much does it cost? (Exclude the weekly new manifold...)
Old 16 April 1999, 11:16 AM
Mike-old
Scooby Newbie

In my country the police doesn't care about sprkling flames... I think they would like it! )) Any idea where to buy ALS and how much does it cost? (Exclude the weekly new manifold...)
Old 16 April 1999, 01:39 PM
Jonas Hedvall
Scooby Regular

Also, I beleive all the raw fuel flowing through and igniting in the cat (pollution device) will cook it rather quickly, leading to MOT problems (if you have MOT?)

Also, it may kill cat (furry pet) if it is too close to fire-spitting exhaust...

Jonas
Old 16 April 1999, 09:41 PM
Rob French
Scooby Newbie

Firstly a ALS does not pour heaps of fuel in. The devise (either a seperate unit or an option on an aftermarket ECU board) induces an electrical missfire in the overrun. This keeps the impeller spinning quicker the normal for that amount of revs. Which means that it is spinning closer to power producing range and therefore reaches that range faster (less lag). Awsome for motorsport applications, but a nightmare on the street. That other guy is right about the cat but you dont kneed one anyway. The noise is deafining and the system makes the car increadibly hard to drive on the street.
(no ****). The manifold bit is incorrect as the only thing passing through the forced induction and throttlebody/manifold is the same stuff you breathe everyday. Fuel enters the engine through direct injection via individual injectors. As for flames a guy I know destroyed his 93 facelift Legacy (with every possible aftermarket goodie - it owed him over $70,000 big bucks for a 93) racing it on a track; 3rd lap at the end of the main strait the anti lag shot out a flame large enough to set the **** end on fire. 10 seconds later the tank went up and bye bye STI VIII engine and everything else. You can understand why the insurance company politly told him to get f@#$%d. Dont do it, it's more trouble than it's worth. Sorry to be so negative.
Old 17 April 1999, 01:55 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

While driving through Slough late last night, I came across, what I believe was, a ALS equipped Blue Type R (P reg WRX plate or was it WRC)

Anyway, this exhaust looked and sounded awesome and the flame out the back looked great in the dark.

So, if you are out there, please tell us if this was actually a ALS system or just dumping loads of fuel through a 1 piece system?
Old 18 April 1999, 08:36 PM
Mike-old
Scooby Newbie

Well, all of you suggest me to avoid to install ALS... There is a Cossie in Switzerland which has ALS. (Visit http://www.rallycars.com, there are some Scoobys too!) This ALS is switchable, so you can turn it on when it needed (e.g. when the crowd is big ), and you don't have to use it always. Any comments?