Notices

standard boost level is?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 09:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't buy an STi that had been run on a boost controller without knowing the exact history and getting a professional (Scooby import aware) inspection first. It could have been detting for thousands of miles and about to blow up. You will be one in a long line of many who have fallen foul of similar. It may be fine, but your post shows that you don't really know what you are letting yourself in for IMHO.

STis run on UK fuel without octane booster as completely standard are avoided by many, quite rightly I say. With an exhaust and (unknown presume dodgy until known otherwise) boost mods steer well clear.

Boost controllers hold target boost as long as possible, usually to the red line. This may be considerably higher than desirable. One top speed run and they can go pop.

Buyer beware. I am likely to be an unpopular B***er for throwing this into the works. But you did post it on a public forum.

If you are importing this direct from Japan, the first thing I would do is fit a knocklink and use lots of octane booster, and leave well alone until you know what it is doing.

[Edited by john banks - 9/1/2003 9:50:09 PM]
Old 01 September 2003, 07:59 PM
Scoobymatt26
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm picking up my 1997 Impreza Wrx Sti Type R on saturday and it has a Blitz dual solenoid boost controller.

At the moment, the guy said that it's set at 0.9 bar.

what is this in psi?

What is the standard boost in psi or bar of the .97 type r impreza?

On my old mr2 turbo, standard it was 13psi and i had it upped and ran it for 12 months on 15psi, ith no problems at all.

so, what can i safely UP the boost to and keep it as that boost level?

Don't know if it makes any difference, but the car has NOT got a chip, but has got a upgraded ECU.
any help...much appreciated
Matt
Old 01 September 2003, 08:36 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

Don't know but keen to know the answer sorry.
Old 01 September 2003, 09:08 PM
blitz imp reza
Scooby Regular

There is 14.5 psi per bar so 14.5 X 0.9=13.05 psi
Not sure what standard boost is on yours but I know MY 96 UK holds about 11ish psi standard so yours it probably around standard nothing silly. I am sure you could have it re mapped and raise the boost a bit if you want.
Old 01 September 2003, 11:57 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Matt, you've posted about this car a number of times, and the more you say about it the more dubious it sounds.

STi Type R's of this era should IIRC be running around 1.2 bar as standard, so why the comparatively low boost level? Regular 99/00 UK turbos run 0.9, albeit that their boost plateau is nowhere near as broad as a properly running STi's should be...

Don't know if it makes any difference, but the car has NOT got a chip, but has got a upgraded ECU.
What sort of upgrade? If it's a genuine aftermarket ECU, he should have told you what it is and who mapped it, as a good ECU tuned by a known "name" mapper is a positive selling point. Also sounds a bit odd to have a "upgraded" ECU as well as an external boost controller.

If he didn't furnish you with this info, it's always safer to assume it's dodgy than end up with an expensive engine repair bill a few days/weeks/months down the line...

Unless you know a lot more about this car than you've told us to date, there are more than enough grey areas to pass on it without the sort of inspection alluded to by John. It sounds as it stands like far too much reliance is being placed on both trust, and word of mouth/good faith of your contact.
Old 02 September 2003, 09:11 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

I agree with John absolutely and greasemonkey too, apart from the ECU/boost controller thing.

It is becoming quite common now to run a mapable ECU AND a boost controller. I do it. For exactly the reasons John says, you can bring in and hold really good strong boost levels, more so than you can with the ECU on its own.

I'd want to know EXACTLY what ECU was on there for sure and 0.9 is suspiciously low. Normally should be 1.1.

Could be that someone has been "tinkering" with the boost, making it safer (in their eyes) to run on UK fuel. But if it is mapped for 0.9, fine. (Seems an odd think to do though to reduce the car's performance). If it is mapped for higher boost and then the controller has been adjusted down, that defeats the whole object of having a map.

I'd be asking some serious questions if I were you.

Sorry.
Old 02 September 2003, 06:58 PM
Scoobymatt26
Scooby Regular

I am the importer for Matts car - and I am posting this reply to the thread in order to try and get some sense into Matt and some of you guys.

Matt's car was bought at Auction in Yokohama and inspected by fully trained sports car mechanics who work for one of several tuning companies in Japan that I have links with.

His car is mechanically sound - only tiny problem we have is that his car is due to go to SVA very soon and the car has been decatted - so we are making up a highly restrictive cat for the SVA test.

His car is fitted with an aftermarket ECU (BLITZ) and a Blitz DSBC (Dual Solenoid Boost Controller).

The car is not running / set at 0.9 as written - and unfortunately Matt does not listen to what he is told and therefore misinforms you guys - thus creating panic attacks at his end.

If anyone seems to think that an aftermarket ECU and boost controller is way OTT for a car - I suggest you go back into the cupboard and lock yourself away.

Matt fully understands that he must get the car mapped for UK use - and the 0.9 boost he mentioned is the boost peak that was acheived without using the boost controller on the way from my office to the SVA/MOT conversion centre.

I hope that puts an end to the misinformation sweeping this thread.

And I apologise for Matts complete ignorance on this subject - which results in him sending me numerous e-mails that have finally worn my patitence very thin.

Regards
Julian

Trending Topics

Old 02 September 2003, 10:12 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

It is refreshing to read your input Julian. It certainly sounds as though Matt isn't quite sure of where he's coming from, but surely you were aware of this, and the possible consequences, when you agreed to import a car for him?

Without the benefit of ESP, all anyone here can do is answer his posts as they are written, and we have responded with a note of caution because, at least as related, there were a number of areas of confusion/doubt. From the potential buyer's point of view, it's always better to be safe than sorry, especially as there have been a number of reports of very recently purchased cars going pop lately.

I'm sure you'll accept that, given Matt is laying out a not inconsiderable sum on this car, he has the right to feel as confident as he can about what he's buying, and also, as the importer, you are always going to be the primary port of call if the buyer has any questions?

If anyone seems to think that an aftermarket ECU and boost controller is way OTT for a car - I suggest you go back into the cupboard and lock yourself away.
Where was that wording used? I said that it was, quote, slightly odd to find an external boost controller along with an "uprated" ECU, and in a context where several other things Matt told us about the car didn't quite add up, it did sound somewhat unusual. I did not, however, say it was "Way OTT", and I don't believe anyone else has either.

As for Matt's ignorance wearing your patience thin, one presumes your arrangement with him is a commercial one and thus you will be paid for your trouble. In this case, surely dealing with customers, not many of whom will be experts on these cars, just goes with the territory?
Old 02 September 2003, 11:41 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm LOL at this thread.... Pissed up now, but will have to say a few things tomorrow. A few things are bothering me here

Phill