Notices

Fluid Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2003, 10:04 AM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bear in mind when replying I am not mechanically minded

After a "spirited" drive yesterday I noticed what appeared to be a run of water coming up the bonnet from above the drivers side headlight to the vent.(MY97) This was strange as the roads were bone dry. Upon further investigation (under the bonnet) I found droplets of fluid on the underside of the bonnet right at the front right on the drivers side. Also there was fluid collected on the inner wing just behind the drivers side headlight. There is no evidence of this coming from the engine, and I cant see a radiator leak anywhere. (Now to show my ignorance) There is a black "canistor" type thing with three pipes in the top of it this is wet on the front - could this leak - does it hold fluid ?

The fluid looks like water but a very slightly greasy consistency and maybe a blueish tinge to it.

Anyway needless to say I am worried.
Forgot to say car is running like a dream not over heating or anything.

HEEELLLLLPPPPPP please
Old 04 August 2003, 01:28 PM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

Anyone who wants to stop me worrying feel free
Old 04 August 2003, 08:52 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

If it has a greasy feeling to it and is blueish, it must be coolant (antifreeze/corrosion inhibitor).
With bonnet open, let the engine idle until normal opperating temp is reached. Check for leaks at/around any hoses and joints.
Whatever you do, do not remove the cap from radiator or coolant header tank while the engine is anything but cold!
Old 04 August 2003, 08:59 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Is it washer fluid, had this prob on my00 , leaky washer bottle replaced under warrenty. Is it the car air-con(if fitted), isn't the condenser around that area, maybe fluid from this, it is normal for this to get 'wet' when in use. Check you garage floor(if garaged) or the road in the morning to see if the fluid is there.

Take the car to you local Subaru dealer if your really concerned, get one of the tech's to have a quick look.

[Edited by BigRed - 04/08/2003 21:01:14]

[Edited by BigRed - 04/08/2003 21:06:19]
Old 05 August 2003, 09:43 AM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

I do not have air con so can rule that out. I am thinking it must be coolant. There has been no further leaking whilst car has been standing. I will fire her up tonight and let her get really hot to see if I can spot anything leaking.

Thanks again,

Ian
Old 05 August 2003, 10:01 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Easiest thing to check to start with is the colour! Coolant can be green rather than blue - but blue is frequently washer fluid. And the greasy feel could simply be it picking up grease from the engine.
Headlight spray thing going nuts?
Old 05 August 2003, 10:33 AM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

Now I did think that too Norm, however it didn't appear to have a smell to it that I would expect with washer fluid. Whatever it was appeared to come out under pressure, but that could be the speed I was travelling - funny air currents around the fronty end and all that. But I will check around the headlight washers for leaks. Thanks.
Old 05 August 2003, 06:13 PM
BigRed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Also check to pipes that feed the washer jets, did you use your washer jets on you trip out? Just could be a small hole in one of the tubes or a leaking joint, resulting in washer fluid spraying around the engine bay area.