Wicked, It wasn't me MAF after all

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2003, 04:49 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Jesus, that was the closest I've been to have gotten Scooby netted

As most of you are aware, i've been treading carefully over the past two days, thinking that me MAF was on it's way out. Scoured high and low for a replacement (Dealers suck and lie ) and subjected my car to FOUR select monitor sessions! The first diagnosis to be fair was very much a "It might not be your MAF Mikey, it could be.........etc" The second two were dealers, both times after the session, "Sir, i think it may be your, blah, blah, blah, blah.(Totally different diagnosis each time) We'll need your car for a few days and the replacement parts will cost you £ ker - ching! even then it might not solve the problem"
The 4th guy plugged in a select monitor (30 secs after coming back from his lunch break ) pressed a few buttons, went out for a spin while he sat in the passenger seat, checked that fuelling was ok (Spot on ) throughout the range, got back pressed a few more buttons and hey presto, job done. Lumpy rubbish had gone, hunting gone, and an explination in English
God bless that chap at TSL

Thanks to TSL for not trying to rip me off and Scoobymania for not even trying to get me into a money paying situation.

What have I learnt, If you are worried about summat on ya car, **** the dealers off, use folk who know how to diagnose and use a select monitor (Don't forget to pay for thier time though or at least buy summat from them)

Mikey <Happy that the system didn't manage to screw him for a part he didn't need>
Old 27 June 2003, 05:05 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

Mickey, glad your sorted.

So what was actually wrong.

Kevin
Old 27 June 2003, 07:53 PM
elgordano
Scooby Regular

sounds like it needed rebooting....you running windows on your ECU now ?

Gordo
Old 28 June 2003, 08:41 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Turns out that my idle control solenoid was sticking! Got home, took it off, popped a bit of grease on that bad boy, back on and jobs a gudgeon!
Basically, when you take your foot off the accelerator, an ECU derived signal goes to this solenoid. Mine was sending the signal but the solenoid was not moving smoothly, the ECU was then registering that things were not as they should be and adjusting the fuelling accordingly. This caused the revs to drop. Again the ECU (or something ) would register this and pop a bit more fuel in because it thought it was going to stall!. This resulted in a flare of revs, Again the ECU would go "Whoa there" and reduce the fuelling, causing the revs to drop and so it went on UNTIL the solenoid became unstuck and returned to it's proper position. Because the solenoid was "Sticky" as opposed to stuck, this only happened intermittently, hence the MAF failing symptoms.

It all makes logical sense to me and it has worked for me

Mikey