Notices

STi& & Ecutek -Look Here Now!

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2003, 02:32 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

To all those who have had their cars done, what's your assessment of this modification now that some time has passed and all "bedding in" processes should be complete?

Would appreciate some quick responses (only from those who have had this modification done, please) as I want to do this early next week (provided that the psoitives outweigh the negatives)!

Thanks

WB
Old 22 May 2003, 06:14 PM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTT

I am in the same situation, STI8 stock waiting for mods...
Old 22 May 2003, 10:06 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Question

Incidentally this is about the STi7. Just realised I made a typo earlier.

Anyone please?
Old 22 May 2003, 11:06 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Had my STi7 ecuteked by Power Engineering in February this year along with their sports cat exhaust system. I am very impressed with it - lots of low down torque and a safe map, although this depends on the skill of the mapper. It gave 319 hp 292 lbft on Esso SUL (1.35 bar) when it came off the rollers, before the ecu self learning phase. Curiously at the April PE rolling road it was down on these figures 309 hp 293 lbft probably due to higher ambient temps and perhaps Optimax. A STi8 with PPP only gave 288 hp on the same day!

Delta Dash analysis of my April rolling road run showed everything was still as it should be for the engine. Infact it was showing much less knock correction than standard Sti7s and PPPs.

PE can also make other ecu programme changes which cure the cold starting problems that many people with STi7s have.

Alan
Old 22 May 2003, 11:55 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Cheers Lemmy, useful input.

There is another guy on here somewhere who had his done, left his car at an airport in the UK while he went on holiday & when he got back his car had been damaged (allegedly by a bin lorry).

Can't remember who he is but he had his car Ecuteked as well. Could sir please stand up and email me if necessary please on this topic?

Thanks

WB
Old 23 May 2003, 06:46 AM
Callum Ferguson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi WB,
Had mine done by John and it is well worth it As long as you are resigned to the warranty issues then it is definately the way to go IMHO.
I was running an uprated fuel pump, Milltek system with cat and a K&N induction kit from Roger Clark's and IMO the car felt like it should have done out of the box. It also sounds more...purposeful. With a boost gauge, a Knocklinck and a good mapper your car will be perfectly safe and provide lots of I chose to go this route due to the flexibility it offers if you decide on further mods - additional mapping is possible at very reasonable cost. The only problem is that once you realise that the sheep has been transformed into a wolf you may want a bigger wolf Mine is back in bits again If you want any more info you are welcome to mail me offline.
Regards,
Callum
Old 23 May 2003, 07:28 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Callum,

Thanks, will mail you later today.
Old 23 May 2003, 12:58 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

WB

I know who you are refering to since I checked out his Sti7 before having mine done. I would rather not name him on here but can send you his email address if you wish. His engine mods are essentially the same as mine although he has replaced the PE backbox with a Firestorm.

The only downside to the remap, apart from loss of warranty, is that I now suffer from occasional fuel starvation after rounding right handers with less than a third of a tank of petrol. The chap mentioned in the paragraph above does not experience this, so perhaps there is something wrong with my fuel pump installation - an uprated fuel pump was fitted as part of the remap.

Alan
Old 23 May 2003, 01:27 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lemmy,

Don't like the sound of your right hander experiences. Could you email me with the email address of the chap in question & I can contact him to get his views.

I'm interested in what your problem is and how you solve it. Keep in touch if you can, and thanks again.

Cheers

WB
Old 23 May 2003, 03:08 PM
Sennadog 93
Scooby Regular

I haven't got a STi7 but I've done similar mods to my 02 WRX and it totally transforms the car. I've only got 264bhp out of it so far as I haven't done the exhaust but having decided the warranty wasn't worth the paper it's written on I took this route so that I coule increase the power incrementally and enjoy each stage.
Old 23 May 2003, 05:47 PM
minister of speed
Scooby Regular

Smile

POLITE HIJACKING MODE

Sennadog, your MY02 wrx remap, COULDN'T SPILL SOME MORE BEANS MATE.

Where was it done, other mods, price, preset map or custom?

Thanks mate.

the Cat sat on a rat - - Benjamin (@4yr old is learmimg to type!)
Old 24 May 2003, 09:14 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Question

Any more on this please?

Ta.

WB
Old 25 May 2003, 03:30 PM
Sennadog 93
Scooby Regular

minister of speed

The only other mods that I've done are to the suspension (Eibachs), quickshift and a Scoobysport back box. Godspeed brakes and the rest of the exhaust are next on the list.

The Ecutek was done at Power Engineering who are good although I was disappointed at the torque figures (not their fault) which only came in at 230 lb/ft but the exhaust should sort this.

The cost was around £750 and I presume it was a custom mod but I didn't ask for one - just let the guy get on with it.

[Edited by Sennadog 93 - 5/25/2003 3:32:05 PM]