Notices

Eibachs on MY00 - Help !??

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2001, 06:03 PM
SSE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Still undecided on whether I'm gonna put Eibachs on the Scoob, my main concerns -looks aside- being:

1) I like the car as it is, but think a little bit stiffer in high speed corners would be a good thing.
2) But I'm afraid this will have a negative effect on the predictability of the car on the limit, which is one of the things I love about my Scoob. I.e. will it unsettle the car over mid-corner bumps, so I won't dare to extract as much out of the car as i can 2day, which in my opinion means less fun?
3) Any effects on understeer?
4) Is there really any significant difference in stiffness compared to the MY00 springs?

Car is rolling on 215/40/17.
Comments much apreciated - need to make a decision quick, to get this out of my head, and start thinking about more sensible things.... (I.e. what mod to get next )

Simen.
Old 20 June 2001, 07:26 PM
Silver Surfer
Scooby Regular

My advice is get the bumpsteer (powerstation) done first and then see if you need the springs. Car feeld more planted in my opinion.

Hope this helps
Old 21 June 2001, 12:54 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have the full Prodrive suspension and geometry settings on the Scooby, this means Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks with nice STI stickers and they make a massive difference compared to the standard cars I have been in.

Darren.
Old 21 June 2001, 08:15 AM
Erik
Scooby Regular

You get more grip at point when you have typicaly started roll out with OE susp. Ride is more firmer a lower the car cca. 1,5cm not 3,5 what is good on bumpy roads.
Old 21 June 2001, 09:43 AM
Trouser
Scooby Regular

SSE, the eibachs should make the car very neutral, depending on your geometry setting though.

You can dial in or out the oversteer with rear suspension adjustments to a small degree.

In our 7 years of fitting Eibach, we find them to work extremely well the standard dampers to give an excellent ride with noticeably improved handling and turn in.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Paul, TSL Motorsport
Old 21 June 2001, 01:06 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

Go for it! Had mine for 2 weeks genuinely do improve car, feels much more planted. No complaints at all. Wish I'd done it earlier.

[This message has been edited by George W Bush (edited 21 June 2001).]
Old 21 June 2001, 02:27 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Get the springs done first then get the bump steer removed afterwards.

Stef.

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2001, 03:17 PM
SSE
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thank you for the response guys!
Any specific comments about the difference in stiffness between MY00 and Eibach?
(Understand that previous MYs have slightly softer springs.)

-What I want to hear is of course YES (so I can justify spending the ££££s)
Old 21 June 2001, 04:30 PM
George W Bush
BANNED

SSE,
The car is stiffer but by no means too stiff the biggest improvement IMHO is the lack of body roll, the car feels so much more secure.
I was like you very unsure about changing springs as I've had bad experiences in other cars where I've ended up with loose fillings and a car that doesnt handle.I promise you will not be disappointed.
Old 23 June 2001, 03:00 PM
Houlbt
Scooby Regular

Couldn't agree with the President more, I weent to Powerstation on the 7th June, got the Eibachs fitted and had the bumpsteer mod done plus track setup on the geometry.

When I picked the car up later, immediately was pleased asthetically as the car had a lower more aggresive stance. Only noticed the stiffer springs for about an hour....because really there isn't that much difference. You certainly won't find it uncomfortable.

The bumpsteer mod & geometry....wow, what a difference....I too wish I had done it earlier The car feels much happier turning into corners. Before the mod I found my car 'skittish' on long corners at speed....if I hit a bump I felt like the front was going to stop turning in all together. Now the car feels much more secure in corners, and far from losing confidence etc etc i think you will gain from this mod.

Understeer...which was essentially what the car wanted to do in the above situation can be eliminated altogether so far as I can tell.
Old 25 June 2001, 05:10 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

What kind of cost are we talking here for Eibachs, or these unannounced Bilsteins?

cheers,

greg
Old 26 June 2001, 08:53 AM
GraemeC
Scooby Regular

If you have Eibachs and the bump steer mod done at the same time at PS then it is just short of £400.