Notices

Just bought MY01 WRX, What next?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2003, 08:12 PM
st33ly
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I think you may all be getting fed up with people asking these questions but can you all help it would be much appreciated!

As it says above had just bought a second hand standard WRX with no mod's. want to mod and up the performance but wondering What is the best way to go about it and roughly how much? From what i've seen exhaust is the best route but don't know what kind or were to go!, Full De-cat or mid section who knows! Dealer suggested PPP but to expensive, kind of want bigger Bang for my buck!

All the help you guys could give me would be much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old 12 April 2003, 10:11 PM
st33ly
Scooby Regular

I know that you are all PIS**D of with hearing the same thing over and over again but searched my topic and found bits and pieces but nithing that gives a definative answer! cheers
Old 13 April 2003, 08:26 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

St33ly

Really depends on what you want to achieve. I started off in a similar position about 18 months ago. My MY01 came from the dealer with just 800 miles on the clock. It was standard apart from Prodrive OZ 18" rims and the carbon fibre look interior.

I wasn't too bothered about seriously modding the car, but I wanted to do a few things that would improve the looks and free up some performance.

Decat exhaust makes a huge difference - very nice sound too. Louder than you think, because the new cars are much better sound proofed, you don't hear it so much in the car. Air filters - whatever you prefer (I have ITG - no problems with it)

Eibach / Prodrive springs. Lower the car by roughly 20mm. Loses the 'stilt' look. Improves the handling - less roll and understeer.

If you fit the springs, get a full geometry and alignment check done. This will obviously improve the handling and eliminate uneven tyre wear.

New spoiler - not a fan of the low spoiler, so I fitted the RallyTech version. This is also available from TSL and other suppliers.

Headlamps - get the Morrettes! Looks so much better. If your budget will stretch, get them with HID - big improvement.

Colour code the front side indicators.

So you start with this:

and end up with this:

After this? Choice is yours. If you want to do more serious engine mods, then I would invest in some gauges (boost, fuel/air mixture) etc, to make sure you don't blow up! Also consider bigger brakes and maybe an ECU upgrade (Ecutek or similar).

Cheers
Chris
Old 13 April 2003, 09:01 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Get ready to visit the local petrol station a lot!

I am in a similar position and would be interesting in seeing what people suggest. I had to contact the guy who owned my MY01 before I did and he said he had run a De-Cat and the difference was increadible. He removed it before he sold it on so I am back to a standard car.
Old 13 April 2003, 10:42 AM
st33ly
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

have to say mate your motor looks absolutly stunning!!!!!
Hope i can get mine to look like that some day?

Don't mean to bother you again chris but do you have or can you make a list up of the prices of the componets you've bought not that am going to copie or anything just intrested as want to know what sort of budget am going to need!
looks fantastic mate what more can i say.
Cheers craig
Old 13 April 2003, 07:58 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

St33ly,

have a look at a few of these for prices of bits...

TSL Motosport
Scoobymania
Scoobyworld
Scoobysport
JW Performance

just a few for starters off the top of my head in no particular order - no connections with 'em etc (apart from wallet lightening, but you'll get used to that )

also, have a look at some of the banners on this site for more suppliers...

Apple
Old 13 April 2003, 08:14 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Cheers Craig

If you look through the gallery, there are more extreme versions than mine. There are loads of things you can add if you want. I do like the STI fog lamp covers but they are a little pricey (around £200 - ouch).

Pricing from memory (as some was bought with the car and fitted by the dealer):

Headlamps: Standard Morrette - around £400 painted
HID option from Scoobysport - £400 (jesus £800 for a set of headlights )
Eibach springs - from your local dealer supplied by Prodrive around £450. Or, fit the 'grey' Eibachs, originally for the MY00 - slightly stiffer, so be careful if you don't want a firm ride - £80 bought from Scoobynet. Roughly £200 for full alignment / geometry check and fitting of Eibachs by Powerstation (bit of a trek for you, but highly recommended).

RallyTech spoiler - price varies depending on supplier and fitting, but reckon on £600 painted and fitted.

Decat exhaust (downpipe, two section mid and back box) - £900 from Scoobysport (using the Hayward and Scott system). Scoobysport use Janspeed now. To be honest, I've heard some of the new systems and I'm not so keen. You can still get 'my' exhaust direct from H&S - choice is yours.

Adds up.... How much you choose to do is up to you. Have a look at the For Sale section as you can often find some good bargins. Also do hunt around and compare prices from differnet suppliers. The names already mentioned in this thread are pretty safe bets.

If I had to keep just two things, it would be the Morrette headlamps and the decat exhaust - improves the looks and the performance

Good luck - mail me if you need any help.

Cheers
Chris
Old 13 April 2003, 08:23 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I fogot a couple of bits

Forge dump valve - the boy racer in me won't die This isn't too extreme - no where near as noisy as some that are available. About £140 new or look in For Sale - they do come up every now and again. I've had mine fitted for more than 25000 miles with no problems. Also makes the exhaust pop on the over run

Prodrive quickshift - very nice. Makes the gear shift much more precise and shortens the throw considerably. Can't remember the price, but any dealer will quote you.

Think that is it. End result is a good all round car. Mine does a 100 mile round trip commute several times and week and has had only the normal regular servicing. Only problem I've had was a temparature sensor failure in the exhaust. Whether this was down to the the decat is unlikey, as similar failure have been reported by both cat and decat owners.

Chris
Old 14 April 2003, 08:25 AM
DaveR
Scooby Regular

I've modified mine similarly to Chris L actually (I have a WrBlue MY02)

- morettes
- Sti5 style spoiler
- MY02 Eibachs
- B&M Quickshift and metal gaiter surround
- TSL Group N centre sections and backbox
- ITG Panel filter

-ball-park figure for that lot, including VAT, and all painting and fitting by the pros, 1.5 - 2K I reckon.

- by far the most enjoyable mod for the money was the backbox (changes the character of the car entirely)

--> just because I wanted to have a bit of consistency I happen to have got it all done at TSL (also I liked their attitude) - but like Chris says, there are a number of companies out there who will deal at a similar price and who are well respected.

--> next up, downpipe, EcuTek3, big brake kit up front

have fun mate, you'll love this car more and more as you begin to play with it

DaveR