Notices

Lame Pulsing acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2003, 08:53 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Recently had a big 60k service at Subaru & since I've had it back I've noticed that when accelerating from 60mph in either 4th or 5th the acceleration seems to be pulsing. Car seems to be running fine in the 1st 3 gears & pulling like a train , it's just 4th & 5th where the surging seems to be occuring!! Anybody got any ideas or had this happened to them. Would you take it back to Subaru ? I think I'll try. Cheers.
Old 06 April 2003, 09:44 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Last week when I was in 5th gear I planted my foot to floor and it was like hitting a brick wall cos my car stopped, picked up acceleration, then stopped again. Also noticed that while in 4th and 5th accelerating gradually my car felt like it was pulsating a bit (just like you described) - since been diagnosed as Overboost caused by an inlet manifold valve being broken, hence the fuel cut in 5th. May not be what you have but sounds similar to my problem. took time to read up a bit on what overboost is and can be caused by a number of things (might be worth searching for 'Overboost' in the search section).

As I said may not be what your problem is but in any case hope you sort it soon.

All the best. Rob
Old 06 April 2003, 10:02 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Gangsta Smurf !!! I will heed this and check out Overboost! thanks again.
Old 06 April 2003, 10:04 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Smile

Anytime dude ...
Old 06 April 2003, 10:32 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Checked out the threads on overboost & it does sound similar although I'm not getting the violent cut out as some have mentioned , a couple of the threads even mentioned that they got this 'pulsing' after the 60k Subaru service ( to much oil ) Will go to them armed with this info. Hope whatever it is isn't mega bucks !!!!!!
Old 07 April 2003, 03:04 PM
FlatFourFun
Scooby Regular

I had this problem when I got my car (99MY UK turbo). The solution was to clean out the wastegate solenoid value (and the other valves on the drivers side strut tower) with brake/carb Cleaner. I think the previous owner had put in too much oil resulting in the boost pulsating between normal and way too much. It was peaking at 1.6 bar!!!

Dave
Old 07 April 2003, 05:17 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Once again thanks , my car is in fact a 99uk Turbo aswell , I will go armed with this info when I take it into Subaru tomorrow & see if they admit to over filling it . I've checked the level & it does seem high!!Hope it is this . I hate the unheard of faults!
Old 08 April 2003, 08:40 PM
Hotpants
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Had a result today. Took it back to subaru with the aformentioned problem & they diagnosed it as a faulty airflow sensor , they simply told me they reset it & bingo it seems to be alright!! Can't see myself how this has worked , if its broke its broke!! I reckon they forgot to plug it back in after the service! Which isn't a problem , we all overlook things now & then but I'm curious to know.