Notices

Peed off with me Scooby

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2003, 03:13 PM
gib5622
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

im having probs with my scooby. its a jap WRX (1995). ive only had it a fortnight. i have took it back to the garage once cause it had 2 oil leeks, not major ones, and it was missing slightly in low revs. now ive got it back and when its been stood for a while a plume of whitish smoke comes out of the exhaust when i start it up, and it still has the same irritating miss but not as much as b4. i phoned the garage and told them about the smoke and they tried to say that they all do it, i nearly told him to f - off, so now its going back AGAIN. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the probs may be so i can tell them at the garage what to fix.
cheers
j.
Old 27 February 2003, 03:39 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

White smoke coming out of the exhaust is not good and usually points towards perhaps head gasket problems or turbo being goosed.

And no, they absolutely do NOT all do that.

The missing problem could, be plugs, coilpacks, or a whole host of things, which either way you want sorting.

Sounds like they've sold you a sh1tter! Sorry.

If I were you, I'd tell them to sort it out or drive it through their front window!

Rich
Old 27 February 2003, 03:58 PM
gib5622
Scooby Newbie

hi rich.
the thing is before i took it back the first time i did'nt have the problem with the white smoke on start up, everything was ok. they sorted the 2 oil leaks on either side and said they checked the spark plugs (after i mentioned them), as for the slight miss the so called mechanic said it may be a sensor , i have to take it back next week. if it isn't sorted after that i'll i want another scoobie off them, they've got plenty parked outside...
Old 27 February 2003, 04:08 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Does it always produce the white smoke? And do you have a full decat exhaust?

Mine SOMETIMES puffs out a bit of white smoke... this is when a bit of moisture is collected in the exhaust and it turns to steam if you like. This is very rare for me tho.

As for the misfire.... could really be a number of things. Coilpacks are always a good one to go on the older cars. If you've only just got it i'd make sure that they get it sorted for you.... if not get a refund. If not do like Rich said and drive it thru their front window and park it on the guys face..... nice and subtle .

Tony.
Old 27 February 2003, 04:17 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

mine always puffs out white smoke when cold not blue (oil) I just thought this is normal, car runs fine and has done for 2.5 years. I hate this bbs, it always gets me paranoid about my scoob breaking
Old 27 February 2003, 04:19 PM
gib5622
Scooby Newbie

tony.
well ive had the car back a day now and everytime ive started it from could theres a ****ty plume of smoke, not steam though cause that just disolves into the air where as mine moves away and fades out after a while, no more smoke comes out when i put me foot on the throttle, ive noticed that the **** that comes out doesn't really smell either. as for the exhaust im not sure doubt it.
apart from that and the slight miss everything else runs like new.
well its going back on wednesday, so we'll see, ive got 5 star warranty so i expect it to be fixed and runnin like a baby especially after i paid good money for it.
j.
Old 27 February 2003, 04:36 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like they either put too much oil in the car or they have put a low grade oil in it.

As for the slight miss sound more like plugs or coil packs.

Mel.
Old 27 February 2003, 04:46 PM
gib5622
Scooby Newbie

CHEERS MEL.
RIGHT I WILL CHECK MY OIL LEVEL LATER OR IN THE MORNING. ANY SUGGESTIONS IF THERE IS TOO MUCH OIL?

JOHN
Old 28 February 2003, 08:59 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

If there's too much oil in, drop a bit out.

Also if it is the head gasket, you'll probably find traces of water in the oil or vice versa. Sounds like it is that to me.

Cheers

Rich
Old 28 February 2003, 09:07 AM
gib5622
Scooby Newbie

cheers rich i will try that today.
john