Notices

What Went Wrong?? And What Can Be Done??

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2003, 05:59 PM
ronniebiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A couple off weeks ago I lost all boost and most the oil out my MY94 scoob. Took it to a guy I know who said the piston had gone!!!

So in the interest off saving about £500 labour I stripped the engine out the car broke the engine down, exposing a smashed piston! (passenger side back) How did this happen?

I was love on petrol but I think it happened over night if that is possible as when I started it up in the morning it ran shi*e. Like it was on 3 pots. But boost seemed not that bad. Under load the boost went only to 1bar and then it went to 0bar and had no boost.
It is tuned (300bhp) it came over from japan with an ecu and exhaust etc and I added a decatted downpipe. The fuelling was not altered and the timing left alone
Also the fly wheel had large amounts of cracks in and the clutch was goosed.

There is a small raised!! piece off metal that has welded itself to the bore! Will this simply flat out with sone fine emry paper?
Looks like it will!!

Is there any mods that anyone can recommend doing while the engine is in peices!! bearing in muind that Im skint!! and cant afford the 2.5 stroker kit etc etc.

I have been offered a second hand lightened flywheel and part worn padel clutch for £150. Sounds good but how reliable are these clutches? and will it cause damage to other parts off the engie in the long term!!

Many thanks for any help!!
Ronniebiggs

[Edited by ronniebiggs - 2/21/2003 6:01:34 PM]
Old 21 February 2003, 06:03 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weak mixture ( and/or detonation ) = melted piston ( broken ). Maybe poor mapping, crap fuel pump etc etc. ( or too much boost )