Notices

Bonnet Scoop - Redundant after FMIC????

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2003, 12:52 PM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I am planning on a full APS RS spec upgrade, which includes a FMIC as part of the fun. Does this make the bonnet scoop redundant, or is the additional forced air useful for something? The kit includes a cold air intake,routed through the inner wing, so no 'ram-air' effect from the bonnet scoop.
I am not sure why I would want to 'de-scoop' the bonnet, just thought I would ask!
Would the bonnet from a non-turbo Impreza fit directly on, as these don't have the scoop.
Old 19 January 2003, 01:13 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the sport bonnets do fit.

APS recommend blocking off the scoop, which I did, mainly for weather protection and security. Others disagree.

Watch that there is no chafing of the APS pipework at the bumper, just behind it and tie up the hoses so they don't clonk against the block. Watch the vent screws under the turbo side of the bonnet as they can make holes in the silicon pipe. There are lots of posts on this previously.

APS induction kit requires an immediate ECU remap (but you are buying a package so it should all be installed at once) to avoid potential engine damage. I am using 25% bigger injectors (550s) and this puts the fuelling back to standard using a standard ECU.
Old 19 January 2003, 02:11 PM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

John,
Thanks for the advice, I will pass it on to the installer (which he will no doubt swear about - seems unimpressed with the number of 'bulletin-board instant experts' around today!). The only reasons I may keep the scoop (other than the cost of a new bonnet) is to increase the air flow through the engine bay. Temps here reach 50 degrees C in the summer, so any additional 'cooling' available I had better use! How have you found the APS kit? They appear to be quite up-to-speed, and Aussie friends of mine seem to hold them in quite good regard.
Old 19 January 2003, 03:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the silicon pipes are poorly routed near too many sharp edges and not supplied with appropriate fittings to secure them. The quality of the APS end tanks with weld splatter marks (which have left full thickness impressions on the tanks on two examples) leaves something to be desired. The APS induction kit affects the stability as well as the level of MAF readings. Depends on what you have available locally.

I comment on the above in my capacity as a consumer. I am not going to comment on the Unichip used by the APS packages since I tune a competitor's product professionally.
Old 19 January 2003, 05:14 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Why not route cold air from the bonnet scoop onto your airfilter/induction kit? I know Lotus Elises use this type of arrangement (DIY's use some flexipipe leading to a flowerpot around a K&N!)

Andy
Old 19 January 2003, 10:33 PM
SilverSmith
Scooby Regular

The bonnet scoops on the Prodrive cars at the Autosport show were blanked off. Difficult to see on the attached picture as they appeared to be blanked off with black carbon fibre material.

Old 19 January 2003, 10:59 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Don't forget the scoop also acts as a vent for heat from the turbo, unless you like the smell of burning paint...

Richard.
Old 19 January 2003, 10:59 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

keep the scoop, put fine mesh inside & an oil cooler where the tmic used to be
Old 19 January 2003, 11:57 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yeah, I`m with Barge on this 1 I know it`s not the APS I fitted but all the same the engine was designed to run with the bonnet scoop passing cold air into the engine bay, so IMHO best not 2 change what works (especially if u`ve removed the turbo shield as well) Toy`d with the idea myself but decided 2 stick with the original bonnet. Put flymesh over the scoop as u can see vaguely on the link below.

http://www.scoobymods.co.uk/crail240202/strip07.html

Pete

[Edited by teknopete - 1/20/2003 12:01:12 AM]
Old 20 January 2003, 02:01 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I'd replace the whole bonnet with a lighter one with extracting vents rather than ones that make air go IN.
Old 20 January 2003, 06:03 AM
DubaiNeil
Scooby Regular

Certainly like the idea of putting an oil cooler instead of TMIC, has anybody heard of this being done before? I am aware that my, rather unique, climate issues are a challenge, especially with small capacity turbo'd engines! Still I suppose I'll have to put up with it!