Notices

check engine management light

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2002, 12:06 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got a K+N 57i induction kit fitted yesterday and today under hard acceleration at about 5k revs the car started to jerk like when the speed limiter kicks in. the car definataly does not feel as sharp and to add insult to injury after a few miles the check engine light came on and has stayed on. i am now ****ting myself coz i dont have a clue what the problem is.

when the accelarator pedal is pressed in fully its as if there is not enough petrol getting to the engine or could it be too much air getting in though the induction kit.

I am afraid to drive it now incase i do permanent damage.

any of you technical boffins out help a concerned scooby owner.
Old 21 December 2002, 02:03 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

connect the black connectors under the dash just above ur pedals and turn ignition on look at check engine light it will give the fault code ie.2 long flashes and 4 short wld be 24 then repost..dont start the car.
once done connect both black and green connectors and start car go for a drive and come back turn off and undo connectors see if check engine light comes back..as the ecu wld have been reset..paul
Old 21 December 2002, 02:05 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

did u fit the k@n yourself make sure u have reconnected the maf correctly does car feel lumpy on tickover
Old 21 December 2002, 02:08 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

no the car ticks over fine at idle.

cheers

big sinky
Old 21 December 2002, 02:14 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

have just put a post back to top for u giving codes for faults..posted under ninja..rgds paul
Old 21 December 2002, 02:23 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

ok hooked the black connectors above foot pedals and its giving me fault code 33.

any ideas

cheers

big sinky
Old 21 December 2002, 02:30 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

vechile spped sensor. i was getting my dial changed yester day. see my lockwood daials post. th guy couldnt get the delimiter to work and now my speedo is disconnected. the revcounter is also sticking at 1500 rpm. he asked that i brought it back on monday to finish the job as i need the car over the weekend, but i havent driven it since the ecu light came on.

now that i know what the fault is do you recommend i reset the ecu or not? can i still drive the car without resetting the ecu and is it anything to worry about. surely this would reset itself when the speedo and tacho are re connected on monday again.

thanks very much for the info its greatly appreciated. my stomach is not churning as much now :0

cheers

big sinky
Old 21 December 2002, 03:11 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

not sure what he has done with regard to fitting ur dials or what he has or hasnt disconnected if speedo isnt working this could confuse the ecu i dont know try a reset and dont push the car try driving under normal conditions and see if check engine light returns..it will only put the ecu into limp home mode.
to recap connect black and green connectors go for a drive bear in mind u wont get full boost etc and check engine light will flash or stay on i cant remmember which anyway do about 5 miles and turn ignition off and unplug connectors.
try driving under normal conditions and see if cel comes on.
what was prob with lockwood dials
Old 21 December 2002, 03:27 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

read my lock wood dials thread a few down from this one.

what about the jerkiness when i push the loud pedal. too much air, not enuf petrol? i dunno but it is definately not right. the car defo doesnt feel as sharp. think i might change back to the standard air kit. the whooshing noise is starting to bug me already.

anyone want to buy a 57i kit for a 95 wrx?
Old 21 December 2002, 03:44 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

just changing an air filter wldn cause these probs..more likely linked to either maf playing up or the fitter has messed something up..changing dials is allways a pig as getting them back on as the first place is hard..rev counter is prob pushed on too far
Old 21 December 2002, 04:07 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your in limp mode
because your ecu cannot see your speed
edited to add imho of course

[Edited by care3 - 12/21/2002 4:09:02 PM]
Old 21 December 2002, 04:29 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

did the black socket, green socket thing, took my dad into belfast for his nite out about 5 mile round trip. just as i got into belfast the check engine light came on code 33. i took it real easy on the way back. undid the green and black connectors and turned the ignition. the check engine light did not come on. result i think.

can fitting an induction kit actually reduce performance? i cant rev the car to the red line coz i think the limiter cuts in to early. car feels like kangaroo petrol ie. jerks when to much loud pedal is pushed. is this too much air for the MAF sensor. have to say the mechanic said that there where a couple of tubes missing from the kit so he improvised using his own rubber hose and jubilee clips. i get the whoosh sound as if the filter is sucking load of air (really annoying but i suppose i will get used to it). have to say i am disappointed with the induction kit, maybe i am expecting too much. i will wait and see after monday if and when he gets the speedo and tacho sorted and i can rev to the red line. I miss the "all hell breaks loose" at about 4000 rpm.

one sad scooby owner

cheers

big sinky
Old 21 December 2002, 04:35 PM
care3
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOUR IN LIMP MODE
plug your speedo back in your ecu is looking for a signal
Old 21 December 2002, 05:01 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular