Notices

mechanic horror story

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2002, 12:15 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my car back from the garage tonight after having the turbo replaced. I drove it home to find power steering fluid p1ssing all over the engine bay and the car surrounded by a cloud of white smoke. I specifically asked the guy to check the power steering and the driver side rocker cover while he was changing the turbo as there was a slight burning smell and occasionaly some smoke coming from that side of the engine bay. The mechanic said he checked them and they were fine and the smoke was probably from the gubbed turbo.

This is the same mechanic who serviced the car just before i bought it and didn't spot the gubbed turbo and supposedly replaced the gasket on the power steering reservoir.

Fortunately the car is warantied and i got the turbo replaced free. I will be hoping to get the power steering done for free too. Only problem is that the warranty company use this mechanic. I don't want the clown anywhere near my car again. I'm gonna enquire about getting the warranty company to send my car to a different garage this time but if that fails then i'm gonna fix it myself.

Does anyone know where i can get a power steering reservoir that'll fit a 94 wrx. Preferably at a reasonable price. I'm guessing that there's not much involved in changing it?

[Edited by marty_t3 - 12/4/2002 12:17:29 AM]
Old 04 December 2002, 12:43 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Powersteering fluid burns... EASILY.

Ask christian.. his burnt.

David
Old 04 December 2002, 12:51 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

when you say burnt... you mean ignite?? Might be time to get myself an extinguisher for the car.

I don't plan on driving it tomorrow anyway. Just gotta get it sorted before the weekend cuz i'm selling the pug. I saw a thread about some guy in sowerby bridge (where i work) who does scoobs. I might pop in tomorrow and see if her can do anything for me. This whole turbo/power steering thing has really put me off subarus. At the rate it's getting fixed right now the warranty will have expired before the thing is running properly. Should have stuck to what i know and bought another Nissan
Old 04 December 2002, 12:54 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
lol..

yeah ignite

Did you used to go on sxoc?

David
Old 04 December 2002, 12:58 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

been on it once or twice.. mostly just to buy and sell stuff. I was never really that busy when i used it. Saying that though.. got my car sold in less than a week on it.
Old 04 December 2002, 03:33 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The P.S. reservoir sits on top of the pump with an O ring in between making the seal. Replacing this is very easy and the worst part is the fluid running out so be careful to soak it up and even more caution if your exhaust is wrapped.
You must use the exact O ring as streaching or compressing one that nearly fits does not work. Trust me I know. If necessary get the right one from your dealer. I had a box of them but with many sizes but not exactly what I needed.
Old 04 December 2002, 07:33 AM
stevied1
Scooby Regular

The guy your after is Alex Taylor.

Tel No 07971 375698. He rallies scoobs does all his own repairs, and setting up engine, he even has a few spares if you need them.
What he doesn't know about scoobs isn't worth knowing.
Old 04 December 2002, 10:37 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

I agree with Stevied1.

What Alex doesn't know about Scoob's isn't worth knowing..

He built the engine in my Hillclimb/sprint Impreza when I used to have that. His place mightn't be the tidiest in the world, but show me a garage this side of Prodrive that is !!!

Fantastic engine on mine, Cosworth Pistons, Group A gaskets. Very strong. Just ask about "Kill iT", black impreza and he'll know it

Old 04 December 2002, 10:43 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Where abouts is his Garage in Sowerby bridge? I'm gonna jump round at lunch time and see if he can help.

Cheers for pointing him out too. I've been going into Bradford to get the car looked at, didn't know i worked 2 minutes from a decent scoob mechanic.
Old 04 December 2002, 11:17 AM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

While you are at it I would change the PS reservoir for the later shape one. The old style one can leak around the base as they are only crimped up, and the new style one bolts straight on, and has a higher capacity I believe. It is also a better shape if you ever decide to do a straight entry turbo mod.
Old 04 December 2002, 11:22 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Its here http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=newsearch.srf

Past Halifax B/S (RHS), driving towards Sowerby Bridge on Wakefield Road. Looking for a set of terraced houses on the left with a small slip road that plunges down hill.

Take this little road, down towards the canal. At the bottom turn 90 right, again down a VERY stiff decent. Into Industrial Estate infront of you. Rough looking place !

Place is in the corner.

Old 04 December 2002, 11:36 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Would it just be the reservoir that needs changed or would i need to change the poump and pipework that goes with it?

The current reservoir is leaking from the top of the reservoir box, around the silver edged bit. It's dripping all over the pipes and wires underneath and running onto the block and dripping onto the exhaust manifold(hence the smoke).. so... i think the pump is ok and just wanna get the car running so i can sell the damn thing.

It was leaking a bit before but it's got much much worse since the turbo got changed. IS there any reason for this or is it more likely that the mechanic was being a bit heavy handed and caused more damage to it?

Old 04 December 2002, 11:37 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

oh yeah, this is Alex in his rally car last year on the GrizeDale stages rally !!!

OOOPs !

Old 04 December 2002, 11:48 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

cheers for the directions... I'm in the Halifax building so that's close enough to walk Gonna head over now, good excuse for an early lunch too...
Old 04 December 2002, 01:08 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Went to see Alex just there. Really helpful and knows his stuff. He's gonna get my car sorted and fit a louder backbox for me this weekend.

I see what you mean about his garage Not that it matters anyway. I didn't spend much time looking around cuz i was to busy trying to peek under the sheet he had covering up his rally car in the back of the garage. Best thing in his garage though was the Police T5 with the door hanging off after being bounced off a tree
Old 04 December 2002, 01:41 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

He's a top bloke. Deffo knows his stuff. Sometimes he can he errr less than comittal about when he'll finish stuff. But when it came to it and he had to rebuild my UK94 mid Hillclimb series he really pulled out the stops.

T5