Notices

whistle from the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2002, 02:40 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may sound daft but please forgive me cuz i've only owned my Scoob for about 8 hours.

When i was handing over the cash for the car the dealer told me that how the guy who owned it before me really liked the car and had the brakes and suspension uprated and the wheels changed to a nice set of 17s. He also mentioned that he'd fitted a "turbo whistle".. I assumed he meant a dump valve (to atmos.. hence the whistle).

When i asked him if he meant dump valve he said "no...its a little valve that makes a whistling noise when the turbo is spinning". I thought it must be some stupid little valve that fits somewhere near the air filter that makes a whine when the air is sucked through it and immediately decided that it was going to be removed and stored in my "tacky useless junk box" (next to my furry dice).

I'm not bothered about there being anything wrong with the car cuz it's got a full warranty (turbo and all) for a year. To be honest... a replacement turbo would give me peace of mind for when the warranty runs out.

I had a look under the bonnet and couldn't see anything obvious. Anyone ever heard of such a ludicrous addition to a "genuinely" turbo charged car?

Before i get flamed ... please note.... The noise is not the normal whistle from a turbo or the sound of a sick/dying turbo (i have plenty of experience of both unfortunately). It sounds more like the whine you get from a stereo if the surpressor is missing but it only starts up about 2000 rpm.

I haven't started taking it to bits yet to find the "device" but i was hoping someone may have seen something like this before and give me an idea where to look. My initial thoughts are that it'll be fitted to the airbox.

Any ideas? I gotta get rid of the thing...it's driving me nuts!!!

cheers,

Marty.
Old 24 September 2002, 12:58 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

if its fitted anywhere,should be around the nearside of the intercooler radiator. thats the big radiator thing sitting on the top of the engine. the dump valve should have an air pipe coming off the radiator to it, then it just "dumps" to open air, thats why its so noisey.
Old 24 September 2002, 02:09 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Scoobyslut,

Thanks for the input but it's definitely not a dump valve thats making the noise. I've had a quick look at the pipework from the filterbox through to the intake manifold but i cant see anything that looks as if it was added post manufacture.

I'm expecting to find some silly little tacky plastic whistly fan thing that you'd find on a 1986 XR3i with a whaletail. I'm sure it's somewhere about the airbox (the noise comes from the turbo side of the engine bay near the wing (if not in it).

I'll be attacking it with a spanner later tonight so i'll let you know what i find. I'll post a pic of the fan before and after i set fire to it

cheers,

Marty.
Old 24 September 2002, 02:30 PM
Catalunya 051
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a split hose to me, could be anywhere!
Old 24 September 2002, 02:37 PM
caz1562
Scooby Regular

Cool

Follow this link and read my troubles.

A replacement turbo cured my noise.
Old 24 September 2002, 02:43 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Catalunya,

It's boosting ok so i don't think there's any loss of pressure from the turbo (hence i'm inclined to believe it's a "whistle" as the guy said when i bought it). If the impreza is anything like my old 200sx if there's a split in the air hose between the air flow meter and the turbo the ecu would realize there was something wrong and run in "recovery" mode.. ie ..cough and splutter a bit just enough to get you home. I'll pay close attention to the pipes from the filter to the turbo though.

cheers,

Marty.
Old 24 September 2002, 02:59 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

If the car has a decat downpipe it could be that as it amplifies the sound of the turbo when it spins up, like a high pitch whistling noise.
Just pop over to Ladybarn thurs night (j21 m62, see thread in meets, northern for details).

Tony

[Edited by TonyBurns - 9/24/2002 3:00:54 PM]
Old 24 September 2002, 03:11 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Cheers Tony, Might just do that. Could do with a few pointers on Scooby ownership (guess ppl may have already guessed that going by the number of questions i've asked in the last 24 hours)

Marty
Old 24 September 2002, 03:24 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not give the previous owner a ring, and ask him to tell you where it is?
Old 24 September 2002, 10:05 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Finally tracked down the source of the noise. It was a small pipe running to into the 2nd airbox/chamber that was not attatched. There was a small plastic tube about 2 inches long sticking out from the box itself (looked like half a biro) It was only held on with silicon or something. Dunno if it was there to fix something before or it it was really there to make a whistly turbo noise.

I removed it and put the correct pipe back onto the box (it's not completely airtight though). Well the noise has now gone and i'm quite a bit happier that i don't need a new turbo just yet.

The pipe i'm plugged back in is about 1/3 inch diameter and feeds back into the 2nd airbox/chamber just below and behind the main feed pipe from the air filter. It looks like a return pipe from somewhere (the inlet manifold maybe?). Never bothered to check where it came from... was just too busy jumping up and down shouting "i fixed it.. i fixed it!!!".

cheers for all the replies.... now i'm off to find out where the rest of the noises are coming from.

Marty.