Notices

spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2002, 02:00 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok i've done lots with cars, them apart, driven them blah blah.....but what's the big deal with spark plugs??? and leads??

i know they need changing when needed and will cause misfire if not replaced. They are used to start the car and errr..well what does performance ones do that differ to standard ones??

My sparks i think need changing so which is why i ask.
Old 26 August 2002, 02:32 AM
Jaay
Scooby Regular

Spark plugs dont just start your car. They spark constantly whilst the engine is running. In fact you could say they spark how ever revs you are running. So as you drive along at say 3000 revs they are sparking 3000 times per minute. So if they are getting tired/not performing you are going to loose a valuble part of the way the engine runs. The leads themselves also play a part in how they electric charge is carried through to the spark plug.
The more power to the spark the better, the better the spark the more energy is produced during each combustion.
Have a look at : http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Then progress to : http://www.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Its well presented, informative and straight forward.
Happy reading
Old 26 August 2002, 03:02 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

thanks mate, knew the part about they keep sparkin' just that i never thought about the other part.
Old 26 August 2002, 03:04 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

what's best to go for? would you realise say any difference when you get new plain sparks and to a ewll known make?
Old 26 August 2002, 06:12 PM
Jaay
Scooby Regular

You should notice a difference in plugs if the ones that you are removing are done/expired. If your changing plugs because your looking for some extra power you probably wont find it. Ive just got my car and dont really trust any Garage/Dealer with what they say so I did the servicing myself Engine oil, Gearbox oil, Dif oil and plugs, did all this to put my mind at ease. The plugs were the only problem, when I took the existing ones out (HKS 35i) (i being irridium) and put in the new NGK PFR6B platinums, instantly I noticed a problem with the way the car was idleing, it was missfiring all over the place. I double checked the connections spark plug tightness but no difference. So ended up puttin the NGKs back to the shop and leaving the HKS in. Im not sure but maybe the Uk cars prefer NGKs and Japs HKS's or maybe this was just 'freak' occurance. Im planning some new leads soon maybe Magnecor's or Lumination as Ive heard they are rated well.
What car have you got ?
But you should get some more opinions and weigh them up.
Although the HKS ones are made by a company called Denso and a lot of peeps dont seem to rate it, they seem to work best in my car.
Old 26 August 2002, 06:15 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

do imports come with hks ones then?? mine is a uk MY95
Old 27 August 2002, 05:56 PM
BKS
Scooby Regular

i have just splashed out 60 quid for 4 NGK platinum spark plugs

cant say a i can notice any improvement. if anything the car feels more sluggish. Just my experience.....

Old 27 August 2002, 06:47 PM
Jaay
Scooby Regular

Jesus £60 !!

I got mine for £7 each.

NGK PFR6B

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Im not sure about which plugs are standard on Jap cars, its more than likely that the owner of my Jap car had replaced the original plugs with these HKS ones.
It can be difficult choosing as its a lot of reddies for what would seem like little return but once youve put in either ****ty/cheap plugs or the wrong ones completely youll know exactly what to do. Try the most expensive ones you can afford, but make sure that you can put them back if you are not happy. Or just goto the dealers and get them to do it, it will cost you and you wont learn anything about your car but theres no hassle, if the car missfires they will replace etc.
Good luck
Old 27 August 2002, 08:18 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

I would use PFR7Bs on a Scooby - they are cooler plugs - good, especially if you are going on track. I just paid £30 for the four. Whoever charged you £60 should be SHOT!

I used to pay £38 for HKS Iridiums - but my supplier has gone now - so back to NGKs - car seems to be running fine on them.

Trout
Old 27 August 2002, 08:30 PM
BKS
Scooby Regular

just checked my invoice....£52 for 4 plugs and then £15 quid labour!!

New he was dinning out on my *** but was too tired to argue.
Old 27 August 2002, 10:40 PM
peggy
Scooby Regular

Talking

hi,

sorry to hi-jack the thread.

i have upped the boost on my 94wrx and i intend to use it on the track so i want to upgrade the plugs to PFR7B's but i want to do the work myself.

this is the crunch......... where do i find the plugs?? is it easier to get at them from below the car or do i have to remove half the top end just to see them??

Peggy