Notices

MY99 Common Problems

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2002, 04:52 PM
GMcM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,

Can anyone help me, I'm about to purchase a MY99 Impreza Turbo from a Subaru dealer its just out of manufacturers warranty and the dealer is putting a 3 month extension on that when I take delivery. Its a completely standard uk car with just 22K miles on the clock

My queries is really what problems should I be looking out for before the extended warranty runs out (its my first Impreza)?

I've read about MAF problems and Clutch judder on the MY99. Are there any other common problems I should look out for?

The car is registered June 1999.

Thanks,
Geoff
Old 22 August 2002, 05:10 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought a similar mileage one bout 7months ago. Apart from the clutch judder on cold mornings, theres nothing thats worried me or gone wrong (touch wood) Only eye opener has been fuel and servicing bills. Yours will need a cambelt change at 45K or 3yrs old, whichever comes first, and that equals 400-500 notes MAF problems are usually due to induction kit being fitted.
Old 22 August 2002, 05:12 PM
kevin stanton
Scooby Regular

the 3 month extension should allow you to spot anything.

maf sensor - only really if a cone filter has been used.
clutch judder - i think the majority of MY99 suffer from a slight judder known and again, its when it kangaroo's down the road, you know yopu've got problems.

just have a good listen to the engine from cold, if it sounds remotely like a diesel, get it checked for piston slap. (mainly on MY98's though).

apart from that good motoring, you'll love it.

Kevin
MY99 Turbo
Old 22 August 2002, 05:13 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Given that it is more than 3 years old, hence out of warranty, make sure they have changed the cambelt. It wont dent their already large profit on it that much

Why wont they give 12 months warranty, i thought used scoobs from dealers did.

[Edited by P20SPD - 8/22/2002 5:15:13 PM]
Old 22 August 2002, 05:24 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Question

Any chance of sneaking a look at the log book and see if the previous owner has anyhting to say about it (problems, mods done and removed etc ?)
Old 22 August 2002, 05:35 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I had to have both front windows repaired several times on my MY99. Glass kept coming adrift on the runners. I havent heard of anyone with the same problem but my local dealer had experienced it before and suggested that if it kept happening the only solution would be for them to fit complete new doors with all fittings under warranty. Seemed very strange to me but for them to tell me this suggests there was a problem, though no doubt pretty rare.
Agree with above comments re cambelt - it is due at the 36 month service, regardless of mileage so should definitely have been done. It aint cheap so double check.
Sorry if comment above concerns you but to put your mind at rest, I have just bought an RB5 (MY99 too) so window problem didnt put me off. Just check the windows slide quietly and dont clunk when they reach the bottom.
Old 22 August 2002, 06:02 PM
GMcM
Scooby Regular

I didnt check about the cam belt change. But the garage have serviced the car from new, so I've got a good argument about the cam belt. Is it in the service book that it should be changed after 3 years regardless of miles?

The car is clean and is standard, well to the best of my knowledge.

P20SPD - Thats interesting about the 12-month warranty on used scoobs, I read something about that on the official subaru site. I wonder should this be mandatory?

I've experienced quite bad clutch judder on one of my previous cars, its really annoying so I know what to look for. I had a test drive (the car was cold) and it seemed fine.

Thats for the advice folks.
Geoff

[Edited by GMcM - 8/23/2002 2:51:14 PM]
Old 23 August 2002, 01:12 PM
MikesWagon
Scooby Regular

Geoff,

I spotted the 12 month warranty on the site after I bought my car. Mine had 10-11 months left of the standard 3yr warranty, and the salesman said the 12 months was only for those cars that the 3yr had expired on - looks like you should try for 12.

Mike.
Old 23 August 2002, 01:16 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

"Remotely sounds like a diesel".....

I've started to get ticking like dodgy cams on old Cavaliers !Not major....yet
Surely not at 30k miles ??
Old 23 August 2002, 10:54 PM
JonJH
Scooby Regular

My MY99's been in for a few minor things like central locking on driver's side and a corroded rubber window seal. I have the same clutch judder that most people have.

Bought it from a dealer with 17k on it a yr ago. If you're getting it through a dealer and it's only just out of the 3 yr warranty try to see if you can buy the extended 2 yr cover. It costs something like £350 for 2 yrs (incl AA-type cover) & gives you a bit more peace of mind than 3mths of cover.

Cambelt change is 3 yrs or 45k so as yours is just over 3 yrs make sure they've done it for you.

Jon
Old 27 August 2002, 11:23 AM
GMcM
Scooby Regular

I asked the dealer about the cambelt, he said it doesnt need replaced until 45K (the car has only 22K on it).

After I was talking to him, I got my hands on a service manual and the cambelt is to be replaced @ 36months/45,000 miles.

Now that the deal has been struck, I'm gonna do well to get the cambelt change thrown in too. The car is too good to walk away from also. Hopefully I can work something out with him.
Old 27 August 2002, 02:06 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

36months/45,000 miles whichever is sooner.
The dealer is trying to stitch you up - the belt is rubber and will corrode so it's vital that it's changed now. The dealer won't listen when you go to him in 6 months' time with your valves bent to buggery...
Old 27 August 2002, 03:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Walk away, don't believe that you won't find another good one. Buyer's market. If they say FSH and it hasn't had the belt done at the right mileage/time then it is not a FSH. This is the sort of thing they would pay less to the previous owner for. Cam belt done or no deal if it was me. Having said that the MY00 which is identical has a 60000 cambelt interval but not sure if the period is extended too?

[Edited by john banks - 8/27/2002 3:20:07 PM]
Old 27 August 2002, 03:36 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

If the car is that good that you dont want to walk away then go for it. A few hundred quid is a very small part of the overall cost (very easy to say that as it is not me paying!!!) Having said that, I have just bought a 3 year old RB5 with 31000 miles on it and the Subaru dealer replaced the cambelt as a matter of course. This is the kind of customer service I expect and I would be dubious as to what backup you will get in the future, particularly as the 3 month warranty extension you are being offered is presumably a dealer warranty, as opposed to a Subaru warranty.
Old 27 August 2002, 05:21 PM
GMcM
Scooby Regular

There is Full Subaru Service History, all stamped at this garage. The car originated at this garage too. I have asked for detail of all the service history, which he is happy to provide. I should have a good case if I 'remind' him about the cambelt in the service manual.

It is an 'unlimited' dealer warranty. I suppose I could buy a Subaru Warranty after the 3 months.

Its a buyers market yes, but I've been on the look out for about 6 months now and this is the best car for the money I've seen.
Old 27 August 2002, 08:04 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

As has already been said, MAF is 'usually' associated with people messing with the air-box or fitting induction kits

Clutch judder can affect them when cold, if it continues when warm/hot go back.

And my favorite...scratched windows due to the 'pads' inside the doors getting contaminated with grit, had two lots of glass now

If you are in love with your possile purchase you WILL buy it, despite what your 'rational thought' says

Best of luck and enjoy.